Houle vs Bergevin

Which is the worst GM in the Habs history?

• Total voters

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm just measuring the trade by what went out and what came back.

Habs traded Vincent Damphousse not because he was a pending UFA...but because they didn't want to re-sign him.

Vincent Damphousse ended up being traded for the following;

1999 5th round pick (M-A Thinel)
2000 1st round pick (Marcel Hossa)
2000 or 2001 2nd pick (Kiel McLeod)

Impact on franchise?

I guess that depends on how one defines "impact".

I can't compare a trade where a HOF-caliber player gets traded and the best you get back is Marcel Hossa.

PK Subban may be a HOF caliber player one day but there's as much chance Shea Weber will be too.

Ultimately, that's how I measure this trade.

Just because the players drafted sucked doesn't mean the Habs didn't get a good haul for Damphousse.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Damphousse was a UFA and the team sucked. The issue was he was willing to take a pay cut to $3M but they didn't even ask him.

Turgeon to STL wasn't as bad as Roy to COL in impact but it was worse in the quality of the return. Rucinsky was a legit top six winger for his career, even if he wasn't enough for Roy. Corson was on his last legs and everyone else in the return sucked. AND they gave up Craig Conroy who developed into a 2C. It was basically a move destroying the Habs centre depth for nothing.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Pierre Turgeon was still a very productive #1C when he was traded.

He was coming off a 96pt season (a total that remains the highest point totals by a Hab since Mats Naslund had over 100pts in the 80's).

He proceeded to have several more productive years for the Blues

So I'm not sure I agree with that at all...

Damphousse wasn't what he was when the Habs traded him, but he still played another 5yrs and put up more points than Marcel Hossa, Marc-Andre Thinel ever did.

Subban for Weber remains Bergevin's worse move, I won't deny that...

But it pails in comparison to the Roy/Turgeon/Damphousse trades.

The Habs would of been lucky to make off with a player of Weber's caliber in any of those trades.

With the season the Habs just had and with Subban getting a Norris nomination, it's easy to forget that Shea Weber is STILL a very, very good Dman in the NHL today.

The Habs did not get back any "very, very good" players in any of those trades.

Damphousse was a pending UFA. We got a very good haul for him. Criticizing what we got for Damphousse would be like criticizing what the Blues got for Stastny.

I also realize that Turgeon was still very productive center, however Subban is straight up one of the 5-10 best players in hockey. He's on a completely different level than Turgeon, as good as he was.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Damphousse was a pending UFA. We got a very good haul for him. Criticizing what we got for Damphousse would be like criticizing what the Blues got for Stastny.

I also realize that Turgeon was still very productive center, however Subban is straight up one of the 5-10 best players in hockey. He's on a completely different level than Turgeon, as good as he was.
The return they got for Damohousse still is the better than Shea Weber

And no, I don't think Subban is among the top 5-10 players in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->