Horton,Vanek,Michalek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of Horton,Vanek or Michalek will be the most productive offensively and have the longest career in the NHL? (Barring injuries of course).
I like Vanek's scoring ability and I didn't get a chance to see Michalek's games with SJ before he got hurt. From what I've seen of Horton in junior and with Fla. he looks pretty productive and should put up points as he gets more ice time.

I do like Vanek the best out of the 3 but I just wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Horton...

Vanek could be great like a Mats Sundin or he could be Pavel Brendl so that's quite the risk...Horton is a pretty sure fire powerforward at this level he's only a rookie and a teenager at that ...so he'll develop fine....

Thornton had what 8 points in his rookie year...?

Michalek has possibly more offensive upside then he was touted with but he's also not that dynamic offensivly thogh he'll be a great NHLer nonetheless....

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Qubax said:
Horton...

Vanek could be great like a Mats Sundin or he could be Pavel Brendl so that's quite the risk...Horton is a pretty sure fire powerforward at this level he's only a rookie and a teenager at that ...so he'll develop fine....

Thornton had what 8 points in his rookie year...?

Michalek has possibly more offensive upside then he was touted with but he's also not that dynamic offensivly thogh he'll be a great NHLer nonetheless....

In terms of offensive upside I would have to go with Vanek, with that said I dont think he will be the best player, that will likely be Horton with Michalek pushing him.

In temrs of longest career, I have to go with Michalek. His defensive awareness and abilities will still allow him to find work once his offensive skills have declined. This is true of Horton as well but I feel his style will make it more difficult for the same type of longevity as Michalek (although by no means impossibe). As for Vanek, I think he will have a much harder time finding work once he is older and his offensive skills have diminished. That is all just IMO though.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Michalek will probably have the least offensive totals at the end of his career, but many feel has an untapped o-upside. However, like others have stated, Michalek has an amazing all around game. Think Jere Lehtinen.

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
I think Thomas Vanek has the most potential of any guy drafted last year, but he is the most likely top 10 pick to be a bust, from what I hear.

Vanek's Potential
High: Marian Hossa-type with more skill in the clutch
Low: Pavel Brendl

X-SHARKIE

eSabre said:
I think Thomas Vanek has the most potential of any guy drafted last year, but he is the most likely top 10 pick to be a bust, from what I hear.

Vanek's Potential
High: Marian Hossa-type with more skill in the clutch
Low: Pavel Brendl

I think your being a bit generous. I dont see Vanek becoming the player that Hossa is. He could be I guess, But it's asking alot of Vanek. Including a mental make over. I see Vanek though scoring 40 goals in his prime with about 75-80 points. Definitly was a great pick by the Sabres. Obviosly he can score, he doesnt pass that well though and when the games not being played in the offensive zone he STINKS!plus he's soft. So he's going to get the points but he has alot of work to do to become Hossa.

Michalek played for a horrible....HORRIBLE! Czech extra league team last season, he was one of the only bright spots. This is a league vs Men, not 16 year olds and up. So his offensive upside IMO is underated and untapped. I could see him scoring 80 points if he maxes out. I think it well be more of a 60-70 points range though. Although his game is not all about points. I love Michalek. Yes he's a Shark so that helps but ask others, before the draft I wanted him over Vanek. Vanek was #2 on my list though.

Horton is going to be the stud of this group. He's got it all. I see him being a very good powerforward who puts in points like Joe Thorton. I see him getting 100 points in a season by the time he's 25.

X-SHARKIE said:
I think your being a bit generous. I dont see Vanek becoming the player that Hossa is. He could be I guess, But it's asking alot of Vanek. Including a mental make over. I see Vanek though scoring 40 goals in his prime with about 75-80 points. Definitly was a great pick by the Sabres. Obviosly he can score, he doesnt pass that well though and when the games not being played in the offensive zone he STINKS!plus he's soft. So he's going to get the points but he has alot of work to do to become Hossa.

Michalek played for a horrible....HORRIBLE! Czech extra league team last season, he was one of the only bright spots. This is a league vs Men, not 16 year olds and up. So his offensive upside IMO is underated and untapped. I could see him scoring 80 points if he maxes out. I think it well be more of a 60-70 points range though. Although his game is not all about points. I love Michalek. Yes he's a Shark so that helps but ask others, before the draft I wanted him over Vanek. Vanek was #2 on my list though.

Horton is going to be the stud of this group. He's got it all. I see him being a very good powerforward who puts in points like Joe Thorton. I see him getting 100 points in a season by the time he's 25.

I agree with most of the Vanek assessment except that he's soft, granted he is not the toughest guy or a punishing bodychecker but he is not afraid to fight through traffic for goals and he will crash the net but he has to learn to be more responsible on the defensive side.

Michalek if what I've read is true probably has a shot at being the one from the group to stay in the NHL the longest because he is as close to a 2-way player as an 18/19 year old can be. I have yet to see him in game action and w/his injury it will be a while 'til anyone does.

Horton should probably be the most productive of the 3 points wise but his aggressive power forward style may hurt his longevity and I hope he doesn't get stuck on a helicopter line for a good part of his career.

Of course the steal of the draft was Parise but since NJ is my favorite team I'm slightly biased.
Keenan was qouted as comparing Horton to Messier before he was axed.
I agree with Michalek/Lehtinen and it wouldn't surprise me to see Vanek put up Hossa like numbers although he might be closer to Robitaille (goal scoring, poor defensively)

For the record I had Staal,Zherdev,Fleury,Vanek,Horton,Coyburn,Michalek rated in that order for the 2003 draft.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Vanek is an allright passer. He is just a shoot first guy. Would you want Illya or Bure passing all the time. Vanek does fake a shot get the goalie down and drop a croos ice pass for an easy tap in.

Horton, power forwards are hard to come by. Physical play has simular effects as scoring, they both demorilize.

Mickalek: Great two way player, probally to smart to take unessacary chances. Hence less points better +/-.

Points Vanek, Horton, Mickalek
Impact Horton, Mickalek, Vanek

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
space cowboy said:
Which of Horton,Vanek or Michalek will be the most productive offensively and have the longest career in the NHL? (Barring injuries of course).
I like Vanek's scoring ability and I didn't get a chance to see Michalek's games with SJ before he got hurt. From what I've seen of Horton in junior and with Fla. he looks pretty productive and should put up points as he gets more ice time.

I do like Vanek the best out of the 3 but I just wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks

I like Michalek at this. Very underrated offense IMO, this guy will learn to harness and use is offensive skills better as he is oozing potential in this area. I have never been a big Horton fan and Vanek to me is still a little sketchy...Michalek was one of my favorite players in the draft as I think he was underrated in a few areas.

Gordon Howe is #1

Dec 10, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Of all of the recent prospects that I have seen come through the WCHA with the hype of Vanek (Heatley, Parise, Leopold, Cullen), he is definitely the most overrated. In a recent game, North Dakota played soft on the blue line and didn't let the outlet pass beat them, and Vanek was a complete non-factor. He would cross the blue line into the offensive zone and would half-heartedly dump the puck on net. A solid defenseman can completely take him out of his game, and without good passing ability, he was a liability on the ice. I would guess he will be a 30 goal scorer at his peak, which will be early in his career. On the other hand, I saw him lurk in the shadows all game against Minnesota-Mankato last season and snipe the game winner. I would not expect a ton from him.

ajsonor

Jun 11, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Fincan said:
In terms of offensive upside I would have to go with Vanek, with that said I dont think he will be the best player, that will likely be Horton with Michalek pushing him.

In temrs of longest career, I have to go with Michalek. His defensive awareness and abilities will still allow him to find work once his offensive skills have declined. This is true of Horton as well but I feel his style will make it more difficult for the same type of longevity as Michalek (although by no means impossibe). As for Vanek, I think he will have a much harder time finding work once he is older and his offensive skills have diminished. That is all just IMO though.

What about a guy like Dave Andreychuk who plays for whoever needs a guy to score 20 goals while he's about 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->