Horse Racing: Sat. Belmont's card (post #1134), NBC coverage begins at 4:30 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
May 18, 2018

Belmont (New York):
  • Once again, my theory about Joel Rosario worked. If he wins early, he will repeat. He won the opener and he followed in the third race. He was in the money all seven starts and finished 7 2-4-1.
  • John Velazquez had the natural hat trick beginning in race 5, He finished 6 3-1-1. The win that began the trio of victories prevented Junior Alvarado from recording back-to-back wins. Good stretch battle.
Pimlico (Maryland):
  • A commendable card but the sloppy track wreaked havoc. Seven of the 14 races had $100,000+ purses and there were three graded stakes races highlighted by the Black-Eyed Susan.
  • Announced attendance was 48,265 which made it the second largest total in the 94-history of the race.
  • In the Black-Eyed Susan the 4 and 9 were my picks as listed in the preview post for the race. The 4 won the race but the 9 didn't run as I hoped and finished fourth. The winner paid a decent $7.80 in a wide-open field. Red Ruby (Paco Lopez/Kellyn Gorder) topped a 4-3-8-9 finish.

• Race 7: In a Grade 3, $150,000 purse, Tyler Gaffalione won for the third consecutive time at the track when he piloted Happy Like a Fool (Wesley Ward). The win paid $10.40. Gaffalione had two mounts.
  • Race 9: In a Grade 3, $300,000 purse, Irish War Cry (Jose Ortiz/Graham Motion) won convincingly and for the first time since the Wood Memorial in April 2017. A 6-race skid was ended.
  • Luis Saez finished second with two of his three starters and both in graded stakes races. he hadn't ridden since Saturday, likely was suspended or on vacation -- I don't recall any injury situation.
  • Local rider Horacio Karamanos won three times including twice for Linda Rice who was 5 3-1-0 combined with two starters at Belmont (New York).
Santa Anita (California):
  • The $2 Pick 5 combo was 4-4-4-4-4.
  • Woah! A first-time starter named Explorer (Drayden Van Dyke/Bob Baffert), sired by Orb, put on a sparkling display at Santa Anita in his maiden race. He won by four lengths. Certainly add this horse to any watch list. Baffert likes to hide some 3-year-olds in the closet and then display them to the world and this may be another example. The winner paid $5.40, you likely won't get that in the next start. And a 4-to-1 morning line. The winner was purchased in March for $1,250,000 in Ocala, Florida. Things that make me go mmmm.
Dde7fyJVAAYKqSD.jpg:large

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A bit of nostalgia but one of my favorite horse racing memories was the 2005 Preakness. Afleet Alex and Jeremy Rose 13 years ago. Still a mind-blowing moment when he and Scrappy T. nearly touched, among the most incredible split seconds witnessed. From near catastrophe to exhilaration.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In the race prior to the Preakness, I am looking at Pony Up (Johnny V./Pletcher) at 7-to-2 to upset Axe Man (Mike Smith/Bob Baffert) especially in that Velazquez is not riding in the feature race.

The rains could be an issue; otherwise, Justify and Good Magic are the logical picks with Quip offering value.

THE PREAKNESS (Grade I)
  • What: Second leg of the Triple Crown series.
  • When: Saturday, May 19, 2018, post time TBD.
  • Where: Pimlico Race Course, Baltimore, Maryland
  • Who: Restricted to 3-year-olds. Maximum field is 14.
  • Purse: $1,500,000
  • Distance: 1 3/16 (9.5 furlongs)
  • Surface: Dirt.
  • Television: 2:30 pm ET - 5:00 pm ET on NBCSN. 5:00 pm ET - 7:00 pm ET on NBC.
  • Cheat sheet: 2018 Preakness Stakes Cheat Sheet
  • Full card: Equibase | Race Entries
Post - Horse (Jockey; Trainer; Vegas Odds)
1 - Quip (Florent Geroux; Rodolphe Brisset; 16-1)
2 - Lone Sailor (Irad Ortiz; Thomas Amoss; 25-1)
3 - Sporting Chance (Luis Contreras; D. Wayne Lukas; 22-1)
4 - Diamond King (Javier Castellano; John Servis; 16-1)
5 - Good Magic (Jose Ortiz; Chad Brown; 3-1)
6 - Tenfold (Ricardo Santana Jr.; Steve Asmussen; 25-1)
7 - Justify (Mike Smith; Bob Baffert; 2-5)
8 - Bravazo (Luis Saez; D. Wayne Lukas; 18-1
)

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Really have to get creative to make some money here. The level of the competition for Justified really isn't great. If he can get away here and can save himself, look out at Belmont.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Two great pieces there on Mike Smith and Bob Baffert. Baffert on the guitar, I am here for.

MSE, any light you can shed on what Mike Smith was talking about when he said Baffert put him on the bench? Seems like it was before my time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Todd Schrupp and Mike Joyce feeling alive.

Some people going to get the gift of a race caller attempting to call a race in the fog

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I take that back, it's worse at the Preakness than the Derby. I almost feel like my question for the Derby applies here. Would they delay a race for safety reasons.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh boy that was a lot harder than it should’ve been. A lot closer in the stretch that it looked.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I take that back, it's worse at the Preakness than the Derby. I almost feel like my question for the Derby applies here. Would they delay a race for safety reasons.

As bad as the fog looks to us, there wasn’t any real concern on the track. If you’re on the ground, they’re fine. They could still see a furlong up the track.

I’m pleased that Mike Smith is going to get a shot at the Triple Crown. The guy is very probably the best jockey to ever get up on a horse. He won’t blink when the chips are down.

I’m less bullish that Justify will have enough in the tank having seen him today. He won, but it shouldn’t have been as close as it was. When he changed leads (was actually pretty visible) I thought he would take off but it didn’t happen and Good Magic. Although he won on what wasn’t his best day, so that could actually be good

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
What. A. Race. One of the most exciting Preakness Stakes I've seen.

Gutsy, gutsy, gutsy race from Justify and Mike Smith. Good Magic gave him all he could handle and then some. Thought Bravazo was gonna clip him at the wire for sure.

Off to Belmont for a Triple Crown attempt!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
May 19, 2018
  • Just a sloppy ugly day on much of the east coast which destroyed the ability to handicap. Too much chalk prevailed as a product of reduced fields. One example was a 12-to-1 at Pimlico which went off at 9-to-5 in a win.
Belmont (New York):
  • Kendrick Carmouche won four times in eight starts including the natural hat trick starting in the second race.
  • Todd Pletcher won a race in which he re-claimed the horse. I am not sure how often he reclaims his horses but I don't recall too many examples.
  • Joel Rosario won the opener and came in second the next race but the rest of his day wasn't as successful. My theory took a hit today.
  • Mike Luzzi had a couple of fantastic rides that need to be noted. He made some handicappers euphoric with his pair of second place finishers, 20-1 and 17-1, in which he rode lights out after being left-in-the-dust. Terrific riding today by the vet who doesn't win often.
  • Race 6: An epic finish in which Mike Luzzi nearly pulled off a stunning upset only to lose in a photo finish.
BEL_20180519_6_1.jpg

Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Paco Lopez won the feature race for trainer Kelly Breen.
Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • Race 6: $78.40 winner. The tri was over $1,000.
Penn National (Pennsylvania):
  • The $2 double following race 4 paid $2.80. Consecutive races won by 1-to-9 shots.
Pimlico (Maryland):
  • The attendance was announced at 134,487, third largest in history. The handle was also the third largest with $93,655,128 bet including over $61,900,000 wagered on the Preakness Stakes which established a record. It appears the superfecta pool caught the attention of many bettors and that played into the handle increase. TV ratings were up 12% from last year.
  • It was apparent early that the track was speed favoring and wise to avoid the rail.
  • Mike Smith and Bob Baffert teamed to finish a perfect 2-for-2.
  • Justify (Mike Smith/Bob Baffert) won the Preakness Stakes and will try to capture the Triple Crown in the Belmont Stakes. At 2-to-5, not much can be added to the discussion but nothing is a lock and Smith used his veteran wisdom and Baffert's training techniques to the fullest ability. Bravazo finished second at 15-to-1 and took much early money this day. At one point, his 20-to-1 M/L was dropped to 12-to-1. I think Audible poses an early challenge in the Belmont but that is weeks away and we should be celebrating the prospect of another Triple Crown bid. Belmont is popping champagne.

• Race 13: The $.20 Pick 6 following the Preakness paid $41.04. That is how chalky the day went.
  • Race 12: Boy was I wrong about Ax Man (Mike Smith/Bob Baffert) losing in an upset to Pony Up (John Velazquez/Bob Baffert). Ax Man gets an A for his effort in the $100,000 Sir Barton
  • Race 11: In the $100,000 The Very One, Girls Know Best (Javier Castellano/Eddie Kenneally) won at 6-to-5. She is now 15 9-1-1 and 11 7-1-0 since the start of 2017.
  • Race 10: In the Grade 3, Maryland Sprint, Switzerland (Ricardo Santana, Jr./Steve Asmussen) was the winner. The $7.80 winner was the largest of the day.
  • Race 9: The only race left on the turf, the Grade III Gallorette. Ultra Brat (Jose Ortiz/Graham Motion) won at 6-to-5.
  • Race 8: In the $200,000 Chick Lang, Mitole (Ricardo Santana, Jr./Steve Asmussen) won at 1-to-2.
  • Race 7: Only four of the eight entered ran and Fire Away (Manny Franco/Shug McGaughey) ran down Unbridled Juan (Edgar Prado/Jose Corrales) who sports a record of 21 4-7-7 and who began his career finishing in the money 17 straight times. The horse has trouble finding victory.
  • ]Race 5: In the $100,000 James Murphy, my pick of the day Tap Daddy (Ricardo Santana, Jr./Steve Asmussen) was sent off at the ghastly odds of 9-to-5 from a 12-to-1 m/l. He won but three scratches to lower priced runners affected the play mightily.
  • The combo of Ricardo Santana, Jr./Steve Asmussen prevailed three times.
  • Steve Asmussen was a combined 17 7-3-3 at Pimlico and Lone Star.
Charles Town (West Virginia):
  • Race 1: A $39.60 winner.
  • Race 5: A $59.40 winner.
  • Race 6: The $2 Pick 3 paid over $4,400.
  • Race 7: The $2 Pick 3 paid over $4,800.
  • Race 8: The $2 Pick 4 was a humungous $40,358.
Churchill Downs (Kentucky):
  • Race 10: In the Grade 3 81st edition of the Louisville Handicap, trainers Kenny McPeek and Michael Maker had three starters apiece among the eight entered. McPeek finished 1st and 2nd. The 1 1/2 mile race was won by Julien Leparoux who seems to do some of his best riding in marathon races.
  • Gabriel Saez had four victories in seven starts including the natural hat trick starting in race 4. One of the wins was for Larry Jones who excels with fillies.
  • Race 3: Four across-the-wire.
Arlington (Illinois):
  • Race 9: The $2 Pick 5 paid over $15,000. The $2 Pick 4 paid in excess of $7,000.
  • Race 5: The $2 Pick 5 paid over $13,000.
  • Race 1: The opener had a $94.80 winner. The tri was over $2,600.
Prairie Meadows (Iowa):
  • Marlon St. Julien suffered a serious back injury following a spill. Best wishes sent out.
Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Edgard Zayas won three times.
  • Todd Pletcher won at three tracks today: Pimlico, Belmont and Gulfstream.
  • Race 2: Three across-the-wire.
Lone Star (Texas):
  • Iram Diego/Steve Asmussen combined for four wins including the natural hat trick beginning with race 6.
  • The duo above was a combined 8 4-2-1.
  • The $2 Pick 6 was hit for $714,919.60 by one handicapper who invested $960 via TVG.
  • In addition to the above, following race 12, the $2 PENTA paid over $139,000. The $2 Pick 5 was more than $55,000. The $2 pick 4 was over $8,000.
  • Over $20,000,000 was bet on the card.
  • Race 1: The tri was over $1,100.
  • The feature race was won by Gary Stevens/Mark Glatt.
  • Sadly, a horse had a heart attack during a race. Jockey Tyler Baze was transported to a hospital and later released.
Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Patrick Husbands/Mark Casse won the Grade 3 feature race.
  • Another successful night for trainer Norman McKnight who was 5 3-2-0. He is 36 20-6-8 which is a winning percentage of 56% and in the money 94% of the time.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Two great pieces there on Mike Smith and Bob Baffert. Baffert on the guitar, I am here for.

MSE, any light you can shed on what Mike Smith was talking about when he said Baffert put him on the bench? Seems like it was before my time.

I don't recall any one incident or set of circumstances ala Baffert and Martin Garcia's recent squabbles. I will ask others. In the mean time, I posed the question in a racing story and while some replied none mentioned any specific issue.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ Part 2:

Many replies but no one cited any one specific instance. It could be something off-the-track (attitude, conditioning, etc.) but I am more inclined to guess it was failing to heed racing instructions. Baffert has always been a stickler and has a history with riders.

Martin Garcia's situation is freshest in memory. Back in 2010, Garrett Gomez was removed from Lookin' At Lucky following the Kentucky Derby for his riding and that was after the Santa Anita Derby when Gomez punched Espinoza who was suspended for a riding infraction in that race

Baffert had issues with Victor Espinoza; remember the "American Pharoah is like an ATM to him" comment (for trying to profit off the name)?

I asked others and the consensus was nothing related to one moment.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
May 20, 2018

Belmont (New York):
  • This doesn't prove my theory about Joel Rosario but he did win the last two races on the card. One of the wins, Rosario was up by 11 lengths at the 3/4 mile pole, led by three in the stretch and won by a neck. A length separated the top four finishers.
  • Joel Rosario is 7-5-4 in his last 18 rides. That is substantial. His two non-placed rides finished fourth.
  • The combined record of Javier Castellano, John Velazquez, Irad Ortiz, Jr. and Jose Ortiz was 11 0-3-1.
Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • Jeremy Rose won with his only start of the day and snapped a losing skid that reached 50 races dating back to early February at Aqueduct. Somehow appropriate for my tribute to Afleet Alex earlier in this thread.
Mountaineer (West Virginia):
  • Race 9: The $2 pick 4 paid over $16,000. The $50 Pick 5 returned more than $29,000. Among the winners were 38-to-1 and 19-to-1 towards the end of the card.
  • Erik Barbaran, who was a perfect 6-for-6 two days ago, is 8-1-2 in his last 14 rides. That is worthy of Jockey of the Week material at a larger track but since Mike Smith was 2-for-2 on NBC in major races he likely will get the nod. The latest announcement will be made today.
Churchill Downs (Kentucky):
  • James Graham, who was 0-for-63 at the difficult Keeneland meet, won consecutive races today.
  • Adam Beschizza snapped a 25-race losing streak. I thought his momentum from Keeneland would carry into Churchill. It hasn't.
Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Seven of the 11 races were won by favorites.
  • Nik Juarez and Miguel Vasquez both top the rider standings with 38 wins. Tyler Gaffalione leads in winning percentage and percent in-the-money among riders with 10+ wins.
  • Luca Panici has hit the board in 10 of his last 16 starts but without a win.
Prairie Meadows (Iowa):
  • The $2 Pick 3 paid over $4,500.
  • Race 5: The $2 Pick 5 paid over $45,000. The $2 Pick 4 returned more than$5,100.
  • Race 9: In the $100,000 feature race, the second longest price on the board in a field of 11 won in a thriller. Soi Phet (Alonso Quinonez/Leonard Powell) pulled the shocker at 47-to-1 and paid $96.80. The 10-year-old won for the 14th time in 58 lifetime races. The $1 pick 3 was over $7,000. The $.50 Pick 4 returned $14,000+. The $.50 Pick 5 was over $198,000.

Woodbine (Ontario):
  • One of THE stories of 2018. Norman McKnight entered three races with four horses and won each including the $100,000 feature. His mark at the meet is now 40 23-6-8. A winning percentage of 57% and in-the-money 93%. How good are his numbers? He won three races with four horses and his in-the-money mark dropped 1% from yesterday. Almost implausible.
  • Jockey Rafael Hernandez is 108 38-17-13 at the meet for 35%/63% which is fantastic, too.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
May 21, 2018
  • Not many tracks running on Monday.
  • My note above regarding Jockey of the Week going to Mike Smith was negated. Edgar Prado, for his 7,000th win, was given the title for the most recent week. A list of most wins in North America from seventh to first: Angel Cordero, Jr. (7,051), Chris McCarron (7,141), David Gall (7,396), Pat Day (8,803), Bill Shoemaker (8,833), Laffit Pincay, Jr. (9,530), and Russell Baze (12,842).
Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • Race 4: The longest shot at 82-to-1 lit up the board. The win paid $166. The $.50 tri was over $1,800.
  • Race 5: The $1 Pick 3 paid over $2,000.
  • Race 6: The $1 Pick 3 paid over $6,000. Those fortunate to play all/5/3 made quite the score.
Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Chantal Sutherland won the final two races. The all-Chantal double paid $244.70. The first win was on board a 14-to-1 shot which finished a $1 Pick 4 that paid over $4,500.
May 22, 2018

Parx (Pennsylvania):

• Mychel Sanchez won three times with five rides. Among the wins was a 24-to-1 shot.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Mike Smith was suspended for four racing days earlier this month. He concludes that suspension this week. On Sunday, he will make a rare appearance to Lone Star Park (Texas). A short field.

LONE STAR PARK HANDICAP
  • What: Grade III
  • Where: Lone Star Park, Grand Prairie, Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area)
  • When: Sunday, May 27, 2018
  • Time: 6:42 pm Central Time (7:42 pm ET), race 9 of 10
  • Who: 3-year-olds and up
  • Surface: Dirt
  • Distance: 1 1/6 mile
  • Purse: $200,000
  • History: Danzing Candy (Mike Smith/Bob Baffert) won this race last year.
PostHorse (location bred)Age/SexJockeyTrainerWeightM/L Odds
1Mubtaahij (Ireland)6/horseMike SmithBob Baffert1241-1
2Full of Luck (Chile)5/horseFlavien Prat Jerry Hollendorfer1217-2
3Shotgun Kowboy (Oklahoma)6/geldingLuis QuinonezC.R. Trout1186-1
4Fear the Cowboy (Kentucky)6/ridglingLuis NegronEfren Loza, Jr.1215-2
5South Beach (Florida)4/coltIram V. DiegoSteve Asmussen11320-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A very early look at a potential Belmont field which could change substantially from what is listed. The possible Belmont Stakes field, per TVG (pre-Audible announcement):

DeAonXgV0AEwFTU.jpg:large

UPDATE:

Last edited:
Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
GOLD CUP AT SANTA ANITA STAKES
PostHorse (Location bred)Age/SexJockeyWeightTrainer Odds
1Little Scotty (Kentucky)5/geldingAsa Espinoza121Vladimir Cerin15-1
2Accelerate (Kentucky)5/horseVictor Espinoza125John Sadler2-1
3Prince of Arabia (Kentucky)5/horseStewart Elliott121James Cassidy12-1
4City of Light (Kentucky)4/coltDrayden Van Dyke121Michael McCarthy9-5
5Dr. Dorr (Kentucky)5/geldingJoe Talamo121Bob Baffert5-2
6Pavel (Kentucky)4/coltMario Gutierrez121Doug O'Neill5-1
7Full of Luck (Chile)5/horseFlavien Prat121Jerry Hollendorfer15-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GAMELY STAKES
  • What: Grade I Stakes
  • Where: Santa Anita Park, Arcadia, California
  • When: Saturday, May 26, 2018, race 8 of 9
  • Time: 4:00 pm Pacific Time
  • Who: 3-years-old and up, fillies and mares
  • Surface: Turf
  • Purse: $300,000
  • Distance: 1 1/18 mile
  • History: First run in 1939. Lady Eli won in 2017.

[TR][TH]PPHorseJockeyWgtTrainerM/L
1Madam Dancealot (IRE)Corey S. Nakatani123Richard Baltas3-1
2Midnight Crossing (IRE)Brice Blanc121Richard Baltas10-1
3Mopotism (KY)Mario Gutierrez121Doug F. O'Neill10-1
4Sophie P (GB)Kent J. Desormeaux121James M. Cassidy12-1
5Uni (GB)Irad Ortiz, Jr.121Chad C. Brown3-1
6Beau Recall (IRE)Flavien Prat121Simon Callaghan7-2
7Hawksmoor (IRE)Julien R. Leparoux121Arnaud Delacour9-5
8Madame Stripes (ARG)Rafael Bejarano121Neil D. Drysdale4-1
[TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY][/TH][/TR][/TBODY]

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
May 24, 2018

Belmont (New York):
  • Race 3: Led Zeppelin fans rejoice: The Battle of Evermore was victorious. It was Manny Franco's second win of the day. He leads the meet with 20 wins.
  • Race 6: Kendrick Carmouche, on board an 8-to-1, went gate-to-wire.
  • Wesley Ward won with two of his three starters. At one point, prior to the loss, he had won with his last five starters at Belmont. Through today, his mark at the meet is a remarkable 20 8-5-3.
Pimlico (Maryland):
  • The opener was a match race. A field reduced to two horses due to the excessive scratches.
  • Feargal Lynch won three times.
Belterra (Ohio):
  • Race 1: A $61.80 winner.
  • Race 4: The $2 Pick 4 paid over $10,000.
  • Race 7: A 30-1 shot was victor.
Gulfstream (Florida):
  • The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $19,000. The $.50 Pick 4 paid over $3,600.
  • Three horses were singled in the finale and any of the three had strong chances to prevail which would have brought down the $.20 Rainbow 6. However, none won.
  • Luca Panici won with 25-to-1 and 6-to-1 in consecutive races. The all-Luca double paid $553.80.
  • Samy Camcho, who had an exceptional meet at Tampa Bay, won twice today.
  • A good battle among the riders for most wins at the meet. Miguel Vasquez (38), Nik Juarez (38), Tyler Gaffalione (36, tops in winning percentage and percent in the money), Edgard Zayas (34) and Emisael Jaramillo (33) lead the pack.
Lone Star (Texas):
  • Karl Broberg won twice and a third time at Prairie Meadows (Iowa) to become the first trainer in North America to reach 200 victories in 2018. He has approximately 50 more wins than second place Steve Asmussen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad