Horrible NHL refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The NHL refs have been awful the entire tournament. Now I start to understand why NHL fans are crying about the refs.

It's not that they have a stricter view on hookings/holdings/interference, it's that they're inconsistent. It's a roller coaster. One thing they can let go of, the next time they blow the whistle for something less than the first thing they decided not to care about.

If the refs are inconsistent, the players are clueless what they can and can't do. They don't even know if they can do what they usually can do even in peewee hockey.

Heck, they're not even consistent for one period at a time. Usually an NHL ref meant:
1st Period: Penalty for everything. If you even look at your opponent, you receive a penalty.
2nd Period: Normal level.
3rd Period: They need blood to blow the whistle.

I think the old NHL ref system sucked, but this new one suck even more. They're simply put awful. Inconsistency = Bad ref.

From what I've seen from the European refs, they're not as spooked as the NHL counterpart.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There is also only one of them on the ice instead of 2. They're almost forced to call what they think they see.

twelve

May 19, 2005
If the nhl refs can't handle the change, they have to be replaced by European refs. The inconsistency of the refs really isn't helping the hockey.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Chimp said:
From what I've seen from the European refs, they're not as spooked as the NHL counterpart.

Huh? I can't remember the last time a european ref blew his whistle in the final period of an important match in the world championships..

Typically there the euro refs:
blow everything in first period, he shows he's the boss
in second period calm down, but try to even the scores when they realise they've made a mistake
third period, don't blow at all
overtime - what whistle?

Basically everyone always complains about the refs, and they all make mistakes. There's poor NHL refs too. But they are imho more consistent. Although they do have some North American bias.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Consistency has been a major issue the entire season, IMO.

Officiating, as a whole, has been well below par so far this season.
I think they're having more problems with the new rules than the players.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Has the officiating been any better than the WJC? I remember at the time there were all sorts of problems in that tournament that people were afraid might roll over into this tournament.

Last edited:

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
haha wow

welcome to the new NHL views on obstruction guys

the IIHF has adopted the NHLs version so of course the euros are gonna have some trouble

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The NHL refs are better then the euros, no doubt. But Manhassenhoven was a disaster, not because the calls he made but because he couldn't keep up with the pace in the game. He was two zones behind all the time. The last few years in the NHL the refs only needs to cover half of the ice with the 2 ref system. It was obvious that Manhassenhoven was not used to all the skating.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Oh, he was a disaster for the calls he made as well. The guy saw mice and swallowed camels. And yeah, it was obvious he couldn't keep up, it was too fast for him. Kind of hard to see what is going on 2 zones away I guess. American food habits and only needing to cover half the rink in NHL is bad for the refs physical condition I guess.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
thenextone said:
haha wow

the IIHF has adopted the NHLs version so of course the euros are gonna have some trouble

The NHL refs are no following the NHL version. Kaspar where allowed to crosscheck Holmström in front of the net all he wanted the entire night.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Chimp said:
Oh, he was a disaster for the calls he made as well. The guy saw mice and swallowed camels.

;) Korolyuk two dives where embarrassing for him, I give you that. Especially the one where he where 2 and a half zones behind the play.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Hehe, yeah, how I laughed about that. Here they are talking about stricter rules on interference etc. and Holmström sure took a beating. No calls made. On especially one occasion where a shot from the blueline was taken, Holmström flew down on the ice, stomach first. Gee, wonder if that crosschecking in the back had anything to do with it?

The next sequence, Sundin gets a russian stick in his face. No call. Then Samuelsson checks a Russian player (Korolyuk again?), who takes the dive of his life, but still it was an obvious dive. Penalty Sweden. Those small things didn't turn the game, but it sure didn't help Sweden either.

Bäckman's penalty for hooking was also a laugh, as was a Russian player's hooking in the game Russia - Slovakia.

Korolyuk, what a sissy. No respect for him. There's nothing worse than an unsportsmanlike, dishonest diver. But they usually get what they deserve in the end. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
CSKA said:
The Nhl has a better diver than Korolyuk :sarcasm:

Korolyuk have the best dives. He is very verstaile, he can do the dieing swan and a verticle 720 degree flop spin.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Euro refs don't mind/don't see a lot of stick fouls. But they hate really hard, clean hits. They call 'em charging, roughing, interference (even when the "hittee" has the puck), anything to get that brute off the ice. Here in N. America, we see the officials as one of the worst parts of the Euro game. They even get offside wrong once in a while.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
thenextone said:
haha wow

Nothing to do with the "NHL view". I've seen plenty of NHL games this season and in none of the games has the officiating been as bad as it was in the Slovakia - Russia game. In other games the refereeing has been a little better, but still below the NHL level. At least when it comes to the NA refs. Some euro refs have been pretty good.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Jorge Garcia said:
Euro refs don't mind/don't see a lot of stick fouls. But they hate really hard, clean hits. They call 'em charging, roughing, interference (even when the "hittee" has the puck), anything to get that brute off the ice. Here in N. America, we see the officials as one of the worst parts of the Euro game. They even get offside wrong once in a while.

Have you even seen an euro ref? Or just going by the (false) stereotype?

Then again, you're quite the stereotype yourself...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Jorge Garcia said:
That's so bull... except for that you in N.America see them as the worst parts of the Euro game. Strangely, I often say the same thing about N.American officials, who are supposed to do this as a living, where many European counterparts are half-pros who have to work beside they ref assignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->