Injury Report: Horcoff Sidelined with Broken Knuckle (Update: Practicing with team)

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
The injuries that this team gets are absolutely ludicrious. Broken knuckle after a strained neck... :laugh: I don't think that Belanger's two injuries are related either but hey, when you're chasing in your own zone all game (while inadvertently blocking shots) and refuse to engage physically this stuff is going to happen.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
The injuries that this team gets are absolutely ludicrious. Broken knuckle after a strained neck... :laugh: I don't think that Belanger's two injuries are related either but hey, when you're chasing in your own zone all game (while inadvertently blocking shots) and refuse to engage physically this stuff is going to happen.

It's not the way these injuries happened (I still think Doan should've been suspended for that dirty hit on Horcoff) but rather the reality that we had the chance to get him off the books and declined to take advantage of it. Now depending on how much time Horcoff will be out, it limits our opportunity to buy him out sooner rather than later and can hurt our cap situation going forward. He could've been off the books and we could have found a replacement for him via trade.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Never mind Shane Doan's cheapshot that went undetected by the refs and the NHL...

Gags89

Feb 15, 2009
It's not the way these injuries happened (I still think Doan should've been suspended for that dirty hit on Horcoff) but rather the reality that we had the chance to get him off the books and declined to take advantage of it. Now depending on how much time Horcoff will be out, it limits our opportunity to buy him out sooner rather than later and can hurt our cap situation going forward. He could've been off the books and we could have found a replacement for him via trade.

I'm sure that if there was a trade option, it would have been pursued further. Horcoff's play hasn't been bad for a 3rd line center this year. Is he worth what he makes? No. But considering he is one of our better FO men and has been solid on the PK, there's no rush to dump him. We'll see how this team responds without him in the lineup now. With him and Belanger out last night, our FO's were atrocious.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I can't even picture what that looks like from them saying it was crushed in or something. Sounds pretty nasty.

What an odd injury to get.. we should get bonus points for wacky injuries.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I'm sure that if there was a trade option, it would have been pursued further. Horcoff's play hasn't been bad for a 3rd line center this year. Is he worth what he makes? No. But considering he is one of our better FO men and has been solid on the PK, there's no rush to dump him. We'll see how this team responds without him in the lineup now. With him and Belanger out last night, our FO's were atrocious.

Agreed on his play so far. He hasn't been bad. Prior to the start of the season Tim Connolly was on waivers, he sure looks good as a 3rd or 4th line C right now (and his contract ends this year). I also posted about how we should go after free agents like Arnott (before he failed a physical with the Rangers). I just feel like it's time to trade away draft picks for depth players. Great job getting Fistric for a 3rd rounder, maybe see if he can pimp a 2nd rounder or a 1st rounder for somebody who can fill Horcoff's spot long term.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ
Doesn't sound like #Oilers Shawn Horcoff will require surgery to repair broken knuckle. Expectation is that it will be at least a month.

So what exactly do they do for a surgery on a broken knuckle? Can he get some steel knuckles put in as a replacement and become a goon too?

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
why? if he goes on LTIR his caphit frees up. not sure what buyout has anything to do with this..

Cap hit counts again after he comes back from LTIR if it even goes that far. Horcoff's injury will not last till 2015, which is when his contract runs out. I'm not saying he'll be injured till the summer either but this is his second injury in a week. If he sustains an injury that lasts into next season we won't be able to buy him out till 2014 at the earliest then it will matter.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Doesn't sound like #Oilers Shawn Horcoff will require surgery to repair broken knuckle. Expectation is that it will be at least a month.

So what exactly do they do for a surgery on a broken knuckle? Can he get some steel knuckles put in as a replacement and become a goon too?

Jon Mirasty has two titanium knuckles from when he shattered his hand in the WHL fighting Steve Spencer. Problem is with that is it affects the ability to close your hand properly. Horcoff is probably a lot better off with just letting it heal with the type of player he is.

Oct 15, 2008

Maybe you havent been paying attention but this team NEEDS Horcoff. Sad as it is to say.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

probably means there is no structural damage and it will heal up on its own, if there were bone fragments or debris or destroyed pieces it would require surgery.

saying that remember when moreau was 1-2 weeks out and was out for an eternity, if the oilers docs said it i dont beleive it.

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
No Horcoff and Belanger? Kiss that 5th ranked PK goodbye. Faceoffs cant get much worse than they are right now....right?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I thought you would be happy with this. It takes him off the ice and further reduces the chances of the type of injury you seem to be worried about.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Maybe you havent been paying attention but this team NEEDS Horcoff. Sad as it is to say.

We need someone who's a good penalty killer and face off guy and there's a few of those around the league who don't cost $5.5M a year. It doesn't necessarily have to be Shawn Horcoff. If our GM was paying attention to his team's needs for the past few seasons we might have found an adequate replacement for him. I pay attention just fine thanks.

Last edited:

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I thought you would be happy with this. It takes him off the ice and further reduces the chances of the type of injury you seem to be worried about.

This actually just proved the point we were debating about a few weeks ago. I'm not happy he got injured and I never hoped he would get injured. I'm upset they didn't buy him out when they had the chance so this situation wouldn't happen in the first place. Also, IIRC you were the one who said the chances Horcoff sustaining an injury would be very small.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This actually just proved the point we were debating about a few weeks ago. I'm not happy he got injured and I never hoped he would get injured. I'm upset they didn't buy him out when they had the chance so this situation wouldn't happen in the first place. Also, IIRC you were the one who said the chances Horcoff sustaining an injury would be very small.

What situation? Last I checked he will be back and if they do choose so they can buy him out during the summer. Although if he continues to play the way he has been he won't be bought out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad