Hopefully not foreshadowing

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
NBC Dumps Arena Football
The future existence of the Arena Football League appeared in doubt Friday when NBC announced that it will not renew its revenue-sharing deal with the AFL and will no longer continue to televise its games. NBC had begun televising the out-of-season indoor football league after dropping out of the costly competition to air NFL games in 1998. But in recent years, ratings for the AFL games have failed to rise; indeed they have declined significantly. Last month the Arena Bowl -- the Super Bowl of indoor football -- scored only an 0.7 rating. What's more, NBC has signed a new deal with the NFL. In an interview with Saturday's New York Times, NBC spokesman Mike McCarley said, "We gave [Arena Football] our best effort, with top production and significant promotion, but the ratings never grew."

Hopefully we don't see this in a year or two:

NBC Dumps Hockey
The future existence of the National Hockey League appeared in doubt Friday when NBC announced that it will not renew its revenue-sharing deal with the NHL and will no longer continue to televise its games. NBC had begun televising the hockey league after dropping out of the costly competition to air NFL games in 1998. But in recent years, ratings for the NHL games have failed to rise; indeed they have declined significantly. Last month the Staney Cup final -- the Super Bowl of hockey -- averaged only an 0.7 rating. What's more, NBC has signed a new deal with the NBA. In an interview with Saturday's New York Times, NBC spokesman Mike McCarley said, "We gave [hockey] our best effort, with top production and significant promotion, but the ratings never grew."

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don't think NHL teams are going to live or die on the paltry few million dollars (if that) they get on the TV deals. Ticket sales falling 10-15% would be much more devastating, and I don't think tickets sales are going to drop much if at all should hockey not be on a major TV network.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
personally from what i've read and heard nbc thought the ratings would be worse than they were which is a success in its own right - however - even if they dropped the nhl it just wouldn't matter - the game is very regional and imo oln's coverage was very good - even a hardcore hockey fan like myself can't really get my head around a noon broadcast on the weekend -

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
No, this comes as too late for foreshadowing. We already knew NBC was going to add more coverage for 2006-2007. Now we know how and why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad