OT: Hopefully Going to New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi guys. I've been watching the Rangers since 99 from Scotland, but have had to put up with limited tv coverage and streaming. I've been saving money to finally come and see them properly and was hoping to do it next year, but I have just been offered cheap flights from a friend who has to cancel and I might be able to sort it with work to come for the Kings game on the 15th of December.

I imagine places to stay will be very expensive, especially so close to xmas, but I would be staying for 6 nights, so I would need to find something that is hopefully cheap, but also decent.

Can anyone help? Hotels, hostels, good places to go, whatever. Any advice would be great.

I am so excited! :D

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unable to suggest accommodations, Manhattan is crazy expensive.
Do your homework on the internet.

If you give me enough time in advance, tell me how many days you will be here, hours you are available, and give an idea of what you are interested in seeing, I MAY repeat MAY be able to suggest some sites and how to max your schedule.

The one thing I strongly encourage is to see the Statue of Liberty. Any other big city, you also get museums, restaurants, sites. They all are different, and all have their own +/- which speaks to every one differently.

But Lady Liberty, you have to see.
Not likely they let you up to the crown anymore, but if they do, your best chance is to go very very early.

Good luck.
Travel safe

bernmeister

Reactions: Maliks PlusMinus

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I've been to NY twice. My suggestion would be to find a hotel outside the city, maybe on Long Island, and than use the LIRR to travel to Manhattan. That way you can also explore Long Island itself which has a lot of places worth visiting, like Long Beach and Montauk.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
You can also check Air BnB. You can get some cheaper rooms, especially in the Flushing area around Main Street. You can take the LIRR right into Penn Station.

Have a friend coming in from Scotland on the 22nd, and she booked an Air BnB.

As far as things to do or see, what are you into? Times Square will likely be a foot-traffic gridlock at that point.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Hi guys. I've been watching the Rangers since 99 from Scotland, but have had to put up with limited tv coverage and streaming. I've been saving money to finally come and see them properly and was hoping to do it next year, but I have just been offered cheap flights from a friend who has to cancel and I might be able to sort it with work to come for the Kings game on the 15th of December.

I imagine places to stay will be very expensive, especially so close to xmas, but I would be staying for 6 nights, so I would need to find something that is hopefully cheap, but also decent.

Can anyone help? Hotels, hostels, good places to go, whatever. Any advice would be great.

I am so excited! :D

Don't eat Papa Johns!

Top of the rock is better than Empire state building.

And most imprtantly, dont get overwhelmed. There is a lot to see and do in NYC. You wont even scratch the surface in 6 days, so dont stress yourself.

Enjoy the greatest city in the world.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Go to J&V in Brooklyn and New Park in Queens for 2 god tier pizza experiences. Not sure about Manhattan because I am a Brooklyn hooligan.

Try to find a hotel in NJ. NJ is a very public transport friendly place and is more cost effective than any of the boroughs or the Island. NJT railroad, light rail, buses and the PATH are super accessible.

Avoid the Lexington Ave. and 7th Ave. express trains at dawn and dusk unless you want to see sweat bead up on someone else's neck in HD. If the train cars are empty don't go in there, chances are someone had an accident of the biological kind or there are angry bums in there.

Edit: Just saw you may not visit our home this year. That stinks. But still, when you do come over here, you can pretty much do whatever and find something you like. It is cliche but it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad