holy crap does russia suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
gets shut out by slovakia and finland.

all that offensive tallent gets shut out.

DIGSUTING.

I'm ashamed to have been born in russia right now.

This team should be losing games 7-5 if anything.

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
canucks666 said:
gets shut out by denmark and finland.

DIGSUTING.

What do you mean? They scored 6 goals against Denmark. You probably mean Slovakia, not Denmark.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
canucks666 said:
gets shut out by denmark and finland.

DIGSUTING.

I was born in Russia too. Ashamed might be a little too harsh of a word though. Very disappointed and pissed off- definately yes. :banghead:

It is truly a shame to see how they played in this tournament. I remember when anything less than a gold was considered a failure, now we just try to get into the next round. What a sad state the sport of hockey is in Russia. :shakehead

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Just look at the roster and tell me you expected them to do better.

come on, stop crying...When you have Bashkirov, Zelepukin and Butsaev on your team, you better prepare for relegation.

KariyaIsGod*

Ovechkin is on the team, and just ask FOPPA, he'll telly you that the Russian downfall is only because Ovechkin's teammates are all jealous of his talent...

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
They should start going with the younger generation who actually play like they give a ****.

I'm not suprised Russia's been doing poorly as they don't have many talented '74-'81 born players ---- mainly due to the fact that the RSL was falling apart after the Soviet Union collapsed.

They've picked it up as of late though. When Frolov, Kovalchuk, Zherdev, Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, etc. hit their prime, Russia should be back to where it was.

Last edited:

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
Slick Nick said:
Just look at the roster and tell me you expected them to do better.

come on, stop crying...When you have Bashkirov, Zelepukin and Butsaev on your team, you better prepare for relegation.

Despite those guys they still SHOULD have had more than enough talent to score at least ONE goal on mother-f'ing SLOVAKIA. I mean everyone knows slovakia's forwards - but can you name one dman other than chara without thinking? and who's the goalie? And all the famous forwards - demitra, havlat, hossa, gaborik are one-dimensional OFFENSIVE guys.

to get shut out by a team like that is beyond embarassing

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
The younger generation that just dropped in QFs in last WJC?

I think their roster was OK. For some reason Team Russia hasn't been the sum of its parts for decades, after the St. Petesburgh fiasco the Russians decided to go with less NHL players, but that doesn't seem to be working either. Simply put, they need to figure out who really wants to play for the team and who does not, and then stick with those who do. And they need better coaching, there is something intrinsicly wrong with trying to play defence first with talent like that.

eh

I think that the biggest reason Team Russia's fiasco was behind (or, often, in front of) the bench. Viktor Tihonov might have won everything there is to win in international hockey while he was the head coach of Soviet Union and ZSKA, but his authoritarian style (and lack of authority now that he no longer has complete control over the players' lives) just doesn't cut it anymore.

It will be interesting to see who will be the GM and the head coach of Team Russia in the World Cup. Tihonov won't be coaching, that's for sure, but whoever they'll pick will have a tough job trying to gather a group of players who are willing to put the team before everything else.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
teme said:
The younger generation that just dropped in QFs in last WJC?

Obviously, they're not going to win the WJC every year. But, year in and year out, they've been the best country in the WJC since Canada ended its string of championships. I believe they've won something like 3 golds and 2 silver in the past 7 years. These teams have generally shown a high level of teamwork too. They should be fine for the future.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
canucks666 said:
Despite those guys they still SHOULD have had more than enough talent to score at least ONE goal on mother-f'ing SLOVAKIA. I mean everyone knows slovakia's forwards - but can you name one dman other than chara without thinking? and who's the goalie? And all the famous forwards - demitra, havlat, hossa, gaborik are one-dimensional OFFENSIVE guys.

to get shut out by a team like that is beyond embarassing

havlat is czech and the only one considered a one-dimensional

demitra and hossa are far away from one-dimensional OFFENSIVE guys as you label them. they are both complete packages and you can only dream of having that player on your roster i would never change any of them for 10 yashins
you have not idea who you are talking about my friend

and who is goalie? his name is jan lasak, he hes gold, silver and bronze from last 4 WC!!!....name one russian goalie with that accomplishments with color pictures from these WCs

peace

go slovakia go :banana: :banana: :banana:

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
KariyaIsGod said:
Ovechkin is on the team, and just ask FOPPA, he'll telly you that the Russian downfall is only because Ovechkin's teammates are all jealous of his talent...

very classy post ...now go back to the Crosby thread :banghead:

Telperiën

Nov 1, 2003
Galaxy Far Far Away
Tikhonov! :banghead: NO ONE seems to get along with him.

vs. Larionov said:
...he [Larionov] wrote an open letter to Tikhonov and the Soviet Hockey Federation to stop the bad treatment and caging of the players and give them permission to play outside of Russia.

vs. Kovalchuk said:
...Ilya Kovalchuk, who reportedly was in a heated exchange with Russian coach Viktor Tikhonov on Saturday after they lost 3-2 to the United States.

vs. Mogilny said:
During the Winter Olympics of 1988, Soviet coach Viktor Tikhonov reportedly punched the then-18-year-old Mogilny in the stomach on the bench ... an incident Mogilny would never forget. Mogilny once said of Tikhonov, "Only his wife and his dog like him," although he softened that position in later years.

vs. Khabibulin said:
"It feels great," Khabibulin said. "It has been 10 years. Finally I got it. Finally it's over. Now my focus is on getting another one." ... Coaches are not given Olympic medals but Tikhonov took Khabibulin's medal after a victory celebration following the 1992 final.

vs. Fedorov said:
Last year, he [Fedorov] defected from the Goodwill Games in Seattle to join the Detroit Red Wings. Tikhonov had said no defectors would ever play on his team.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
Why was Tikhonov hired in the first place?

I'm surprised the Federation didn't ask Mikhailov, Fetisov and Tretiak to play too. Since they were bring in people with past glories.

Times have changed and so should the Russian Hockey Federation. Old Soviet ways aren't the way to coach players today. When are they going to realize this?

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
in my humble opinion i think it has to do with the atmosphere surronding team russia. look at zherdev, he's not evan there, might possibly never play for russia again. same could be said for fedorov, chistov, svitov and talk to malkin and ovechkin in one year.

JetLi

Apr 19, 2004
Sweden
I have never seen Kovalchuk play worse than in this WC.....Just tryung to dribble along with the puck without shooting or passing.

And as for Ovechkin he started the Tournament well and then Died for every game,

Rumor:Latvias Curre lindström to coach russia in World Cup

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
teme said:
Simply put, they need to figure out who really wants to play for the team and who does not, and then stick with those who do.

Yeah, well said. Since the early 90's it's been the motivation that's been their biggest problem.

Not that I'm sad about it, it kind of makes up a little for the insane domination(and "cheating", meaning they always had access to their best players) during the Soviet era.

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
well if the russian hockey federation allowed larionov to do what he wanted he would've had LARRY ROBINSON coach the team.

that would've been excellent.

alas, russian ego always gets in the way :(

havlat is czech and the only one considered a one-dimensional

my bad - he was on slovakia's team in NHL 2004. obviously a bad thing to go by

demitra and hossa are far away from one-dimensional OFFENSIVE guys as you label them. they are both complete packages and you can only dream of having that player on your roster i would never change any of them for 10 yashins
you have not idea who you are talking about my friend

you seem to be really defensively. I'd trade them for FIFTY yashins, of course.

and who is goalie? his name is jan lasak, he hes gold, silver and bronze from last 4 WC!!!....name one russian goalie with that accomplishments with color pictures from these WCs

then why isn't he in the NHL if he's so good?

ANyway i never denied slovakia's good - but they are in no way a defensive powerhouse, and to get shut out by them is embarassing and shows how low russian hockey has sunk.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Fetisov did a decent job at the Olympics and he is familiar with the North American style of hockey. I think he could be the best choice for the Russian World Cup team.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
canucks666 said:
then why isn't he in the NHL if he's so good?

Nashville has searched and searched for the answer to that. He stands on his head in international play, gets here and can't stop a beach ball, is always out of position and lacks confidence. He was Vokoun's back-up part of last season and played well with the Admirals, but hasn't progressed like we had hoped in the NHL, but he's still young.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Rob said:
Fetisov did a decent job at the Olympics and he is familiar with the North American style of hockey. I think he could be the best choice for the Russian World Cup team.

No,no ,no ....please russians played crapy ... czech outplayed them greatly in quaterfinals ,so did USA in semifinals..the team never developed any considerable chemistry...majority of goals were individually formed,rather then good team play...
their PP was total crap...SO u can give FEtisov another chance ,but dont tell me he did decent job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->