Confirmed with Link: Holland signed to 2-year extension

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Not exactly about Ken Holland, but for those who are Detroit sports fans, why are our teams so stale and why are they so late to react to things. Holland and this streak should have been done in 2014 and even that is probably too late, this organization is so stale its sad. Hey Chris, really hope you enjoy staring at red seats because you're gonna have to do so for at least 2 more years.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
It's fine if you think that way. I would suggest we wait until they play a number of NHL games before judging how these picks turned out. Rasmussen is the best player in the WHL playoffs right now, Hronek made the AHL all-rookie team, and Cholowski had a very good year offensively and has been praised by his coaches. Svechnikov had a down year, but looked to get better and better each game in the NHL.
I'm sure they can be nice players and there isn't anything wrong with that, but I don't see Chow, Rasmussen, Hronek, or Svech becoming stars or elite level players. There is a lack of elite level talent in and around this team.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Not a fan of Cholowski. Or Rasmussen. Or Svechnikov. Basically, for every early pick he's made, there was either another guy(s) I definitely preferred, or he ended up taking the one guy I wanted no part of (Rasmussen). It's been one great selection in Larkin, and then a resume of disappointments.

Can we not give these guys a chance to play before we call them disappointments? I wasn't a fan of the Ras pick at the time either, but he's absolutely torching the WHL playoffs right now, and is absolutely dominant. He's a 6'6 centerman, who has great hands around the net. Ras could turn out to be a great player. No matter how much you didn't like the pick, he has 19 points in 6 playoff games. Those are incredible numbers.

Reactions: Ulysses31

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
What don't you like about his draft picks? Nearly all of them have been great respective to their position. I think Svechnikov can still develop into a top 6 player.
Are you kidding? You know what our 1st rounders have been wasted on between 2001 and 2013? Kindl, Sheahan, McCollum and Smith. How has that been for us? 90% of our 2nd rounders have amounted to nothing as well. The whole FO/ownership needs to be blownup and rebooted.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm sure they can be nice players and there isn't anything wrong with that, but I don't see Chow, Rasmussen, Hronek, or Svech becoming stars or elite level players. There is a lack of elite level talent in and around this team.

The problem is you expect late round draft picks to become superstars. It rarely happens.

Are you kidding? You know what our 1st rounders have been wasted on between 2001 and 2013? Kindl, Sheahan, McCollum and Smith. How has that been for us? 90% of our 2nd rounders have amounted to nothing as well. The whole FO/ownership needs to be blownup and rebooted.

I’m talking about 2014 and beyond.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That they are focusing on acquiring draft picks and moving younger player onto the roster.

I would say yes, focusing on draft picks is a newer statement that began after last season and was reinforced heavily at the deadline. But "moving younger players on the roster"- haha they've been saying that for 5 years. Somehow the oldest team in the league is always magically getting younger. We have to expect 1 or 2 veteran contracts this summer, that's how Kenny rolls.

CaptainCrosscheck

Dec 21, 2011
We can take solace knowing that in some parallel universe Holland traded Green last year and used that money and open roster spot to give Smith a 4 year deal at 4 mil a year with a NTC.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
My personal favorite is Gustav Lindstrom being no higher than #70 on any draft ranking you could find, how does taking him at #38 taste.
Yeah and Tyler Bertuzzi was supposedly the worst draft pick in Wings history and should have been drafted much later. Lindstrom had a solid season and was just signed by Frolunda, a very encouraging development step.

But nah.. missing out on a player you like is totally preferrable to taking him earlier than the "rankings" have him. God I'm glad we didn't reach on Edler.

I would say yes, focusing on draft picks is a newer statement that began after last season and was reinforced heavily at the deadline. But "moving younger players on the roster"- haha they've been saying that for 5 years. Somehow the oldest team in the league is always magically getting younger. We have to expect 1 or 2 veteran contracts this summer, that's how Kenny rolls.
Do the math on drafting 10+ times instead of 6-7. Do the math on drafting in the top 10 of each round instead of the bottom 10. Do the math on having multiple 1st round picks for the first time in decades.

Let me know what you come up with and whether you think moving young players onto the roster becomes easier or more difficult under those circumstances.

Redden Smith

Feb 19, 2018
I just wish our scouts would put hundreds of hours looking at draft prospects like some people on this board, man we could be loaded with talent from missed opportunities from the current regime.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Well the two years certainly lines up with the Seattle rumors.
I'm not sure that it does. If it's expected that Seattle will be awarded a franchise within the next year and will start playing in 2020, they'll want a management team in place well before the 2020 off-season/expansion draft. We all know Holland isn't getting fired, so unless he resigns or there is some kind of mutual parting of ways or whatever in the meantime, this doesn't really match up for him. And if ownership knows he has his heart on the Seattle job, then this extension is exactly the kind of sweetheart deal that has characterized this organization's incredible decline (if you haven't noticed it's now a laughing stock around the league). To say nothing of the conflicts of interest...
For my part, I think Holland should be forced to stay until at least Abdelkader's contract is off the books and not be allowed to sign any new deals beyond that point. But it looks like he'll only have to serve out til the 10th anniversary of that auspicious Modano signing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a fan of Cholowski. Or Rasmussen. Or Svechnikov. Basically, for every early pick he's made, there was either another guy(s) I definitely preferred, or he ended up taking the one guy I wanted no part of (Rasmussen). It's been one great selection in Larkin, and then a resume of disappointments.

You didn’t like Svechnikov back when he was drafted? Why not? He was considered a big skilled prospect in his draft year. There really wasn’t much not to like.

Holland has been around long enough to where he’s drafted all types of players. I have to believe since they went for size/character recently they are going to come back around and go for some skilled/possession guys now.

I mean Holland has been here to draft Filppula, Hudler, Nyquist, Tatar, Z, Datsyuk, etc. Wright might be a bit of a size queen, but I can’t see Holland completely abandoning what has worked for him in the past.

We will see if that checks out. I think you can’t really mess up the top 10 this year. I’d like to see them go for more high ceiling guys in the later rounds. Way too many safe guys lately with Turgeon, Gallant, Smith, etc.

They’ve done good at picking defenseman with different skill sets and sizes. I’d like to see them do the same at forward. Wright has drafted very few guys that I think have high end puck skills in his Director of Amateur Scotuing career. I hope that’s where Holland will step in and make that kind of pick more often, again since those guys have worked for him in the past. So far they have been a little too conservative collectively, IMO.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
well crap.

looking forward to hearing about AA's 7 year deal with a NMC this summer. And Jensen's 5 year deal, also with a NMC.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Can we not give these guys a chance to play before we call them disappointments? I wasn't a fan of the Ras pick at the time either, but he's absolutely torching the WHL playoffs right now, and is absolutely dominant. He's a 6'6 centerman, who has great hands around the net. Ras could turn out to be a great player. No matter how much you didn't like the pick, he has 19 points in 6 playoff games. Those are incredible numbers.
I just meant that I didn't like the pick. He might still become a good NHL player, but I'd bet it would be as a middle six winger, rather than a playmaker who really helps drive the offense. I preferred Vilardi then, and I still think Gabe ends up having a better career, but we'll see.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I strongly doubt the attendence numbers the Wings give out. Go to the gate a few minutes before every game and you can generally still get tickets. Think the Illitches just “buy” them back to charge advertisers more.

I've tried buying tickets last minute on ticketmaster and could never find 2 togrther last minute. Stub Hub sure, but not ticketmaster. I do believe the numbers, but I obviously cant prove it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->