Confirmed with Link: Holland signed to 2-year extension

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'm talking the average adult that goes to the games with their kids, or the 80 year old who has been a season ticket holder for 30 years. You mention your friend, he may care, but is he going to cxl because Holland was renewed?

I was a season ticket holder, I was for the last 4 years. I did quit this year, but not because who the GM was, I quit because of the BS they added to being a season ticket holder with the new arena.

I think the average fan who pays to go, cares about wins and losses. I dont think they care about who the GM is, or what the cap is at etc.

Time will tell.

I already have fans who've canceled. Not specifically because of Holland - but because the team sucks and it's not worth the price anymore.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ken Holland is the GM, not the coach. A GM making coaching decisions sets a bad precedent.
Correct. But bringing back a coach that handles so many things poorly is inherently guilt by association.

Everybody needs to be on the same page that kids get to learn, with a decent chance to play their actual role, and without fear of getting the hook at the first honest mistake.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Not super suprised by the move.

Assuming the team is going to rebuild for another 3 years it makes sense to have Holland handle the first 4 or 5 and then hand over the final building to the new guy.

Re:tickets... when the team wins, sales go up. When they lose it goes down. Who the GM is is irrelevant to sales, only what happens on the ice and ovcasionally what a ticket office can spin into a narrative.

Reactions: Oddbob and Winger98

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
First, this is total attendance, which would be a good measure if it wasn't for the fact LCA holds 20,000 fans and many NHL arenas hold 17-18,000 fans. So that can paid the number pretty good.

Second, it depends on how they count attendance, because ticket sales aren't the same as asses in seats,
this is doubly true when people are buying blocks of tickets up for corporate events/smoozing and for speculative resale on secondary markets.

First Bold: LCA holds 19,515 fans, I'm not sure why this is relevant in an argument that began with someone telling me that Holland being back would effect ticket sales. Me showing our attendance was not to show that we are a hotter ticket then any other team, it was to show that Holland being there doesn't effect ticket sales.

Second Bold: You are pretty much saying what I said at the end of my post. Of course I agree with this. I was never talking about asses in seats, I thought I made that clear.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Not super suprised by the move.

Assuming the team is going to rebuild for another 3 years it makes sense to have Holland handle the first 4 or 5 and then hand over the final building to the new guy.

Re:tickets... when the team wins, sales go up. When they lose it goes down. Who the GM is is irrelevant to sales, only what happens on the ice and ovcasionally what a ticket office can spin into a narrative.

What happens on the ice? Absolute failure which is a direct result of management and ownership.

Why would you allow someone to have a hand in a rebuild in which he believes isn't the answer in the first place?

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
First Bold: LCA holds 19,515 fans, I'm not sure why this is relevant in an argument that began with someone telling me that Holland being back would effect ticket sales. Me showing our attendance was not to show that we are a hotter ticket then any other team, it was to show that Holland being there doesn't effect ticket sales.

Second Bold: You are pretty much saying what I said at the end of my post. Of course I agree with this. I was never talking about asses in seats, I thought I made that clear.

Because if Detroit is at 85% capacity its the same as The Ducks, Devils, Predators, the Yotes and so on and so on, selling out. So that's 42 games where they can sell 17,500 tickets and get 21,000 fans higher attendance than those teams and that still leaves over 84,000 seats unoccupied over the course of that time. So they have a lower percent attendance, but higher raw attendance. See the issue here?

Reactions: avssuc

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Because if Detroit is at 85% capacity its the same as The Ducks, Devils, Predators, the Yotes and so on and so on, selling out. So that's 42 games where they can sell 17,500 tickets and get 21,000 fans higher attendance than those teams and that still leaves over 84,000 seats unoccupied over the course of that time. So they have a lower percent attendance, but higher raw attendance. See the issue here?

If my point is comparing them to other teams, of course. That is not my point though.

My point is that Ken Holland being GM is not going to drop ticket sales, and I used that to show that the Wings havent really seen a dip over the past 5 years.

If I said "the wings have the 3rd highest attendance in the league because they are a much hotter ticket the majority of the teams in the NHL" your point would be 100% valid, but thats not my point at all. Detroit is averaging 100% attendance this year (paid of course), my point is that if Ken Holland being around was killing ticket sales, this number would be lower.

You're arguing something that I am not arguing.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I guess I better get used to watching a losing hockey team.

Blashill is gonna be back too lol. Jeff Blashill will forever be known as the worst coach in Red Wings history. I don't know if I can watch another season with that man in charge. It's pretty evident the players don't respect him. AA is in the doghouse all year long, yet Bertuzzi gets handed a spot on the first line. Blashill will unfortunately be the reason that AA leaves the team. I do not respect Blashill in any way.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Blashill is gonna be back too lol. Jeff Blashill will forever be known as the worst coach in Red Wings history. I don't know if I can watch another season with that man in charge. It's pretty evident the players don't respect him. AA is in the doghouse all year long, yet Bertuzzi gets handed a spot on the first line. Blashill will unfortunately be the reason that AA leaves the team. I do not respect Blashill in any way.

Do you want to lose or not? I don't get people around here.

I also don't get the love affair for AA. Nice player, but far from a hall of fame superstar.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

If any forwards were gifted icetime, it was Nyquist and Tatar. Bertuzzi earned his promotion and honestly has been better overall than AA, who has looked incredibly disinterested all season. I agree about Blash though, and if he comes back, I cant really see AA wanting to be a part of the team. It’s going to be one or the other

Reactions: NickH8

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
If my point is comparing them to other teams, of course. That is not my point though.

My point is that Ken Holland being GM is not going to drop ticket sales, and I used that to show that the Wings havent really seen a dip over the past 5 years.

If I said "the wings have the 3rd highest attendance in the league because they are a much hotter ticket the majority of the teams in the NHL" your point would be 100% valid, but thats not my point at all. Detroit is averaging 100% attendance this year (paid of course), my point is that if Ken Holland being around was killing ticket sales, this number would be lower.

You're arguing something that I am not arguing.

I strongly doubt the attendence numbers the Wings give out. Go to the gate a few minutes before every game and you can generally still get tickets. Think the Illitches just “buy” them back to charge advertisers more.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

AA put himself in the doghouse by taking 10 game stretches off at a time.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Truth.
And that's not to take away from what Bertuzzi did.
But when Bertuzzi was promoted, it was after a spell during which Mantha was struggling with Zetterberg.
Bertuzzi was going to play with Z and Mantha with Larkin.
But Mantha got hurt.
So AA took his place.
AA played the next 8 games on line 1/2 with Larkin. He went 5-4-9 and the Red Wings went 5-3-0 on that stretch.
After AA went 1-1-2 in a 4-2 loss, that was it.
Mantha replaced him.
AA spent most of the rest of the year on Line 3 and line 4
In his last 10, he skated less than 12:32 5 times.

Blashill - a chump of a coach- will tell you he went with who gave him the best chance to win.

AA's top 5 icetime games? Detroit was 5-0.
AA's top 15 icetime games? Detroit was 9-4-2.
AA's bottom 5 icetime games? Detroit was 1-3-1.
AA's bottom 15 icetime games? Detroit was 6-7-2.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If any forwards were gifted icetime, it was Nyquist and Tatar. Bertuzzi earned his promotion and honestly has been better overall than AA, who has looked incredibly disinterested all season. I agree about Blash though, and if he comes back, I cant really see AA wanting to be a part of the team. It’s going to be one or the other

Bertuzzi did a good job holding on to it. But he didn't earn it.
He only got the job because Mantha struggled and the coach didn't want to go to AA.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Like Bertuzzi? Who went 0-2-2 -11 during a 15 game stretch from January to Feb. 25?

You're aware I am, beyond AA's, Bert's biggest skeptic? I think Bert, as a 23 year old with a 0.5ppg on the top line is a clear example of the Abdelkader/Kunitz effect. I don't think he's even a 0.5ppg player unless he's playing with a team's best players.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I don't see how you bring both Holland and Blash back. This has been the worst team in the league the last couple of seasons if you take out (meaningless) shootout wins. Either Holland has put a crap lineup out there (Definitely true) or Blash hasn't gotten much out of the players (also probably true). Clearly these two haven't been able to get the job done, someone needs to be held accountable. Keeping both of them leaves a message of complacency.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I take this to mean Chris Ilitch is going to sell the team, which is fine by me. There's been a total lack of leadership for a few years now. My guess is they will play up the rebuild angle while shedding what salary they can to make the franchise as attractive as possible. I don't expect this brain trust to draft well so unfortunately we're likely looking at a solid 15 years since our last title to potentially start being competitive again.

Hopefully Ilitch sells. There last thing we need is to let Holland dither for another two years and then task Ilitch with starting from scratch since, you know, he is the guy who has fully supported Holland the past five years and just gave him an extension and will apparently keep Blashill around as well.

He simply doesn't care. That kind of owner is deadly, hopefully he's actively shopping the franchise for a new owner.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Wow.
Fox Sports and the Red Wings are pushing the "one-goal game" narrative.
Would love to see the Red Wings TV ratings this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad