Helene St. James Holland (probably) Won't Re-Sign Quincey, Richards (before July 1st (if at all))

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I get it that Z has declined... but I am not really concerned, or dying to get rid of him.

Guy walks around with multiple injuries at any given time, would not be hard to LTIR him if worst comes to worst.

Still has value to this team, and I want to see him play out his career as a Red Wing, personally.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I get it that Z has declined... but I am not really concerned, or dying to get rid of him.

Guy walks around with multiple injuries at any given time, would not be hard to LTIR him if worst comes to worst.

Still has value to this team, and I want to see him play out his career as a Red Wing, personally.

100% agree

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Capitals fan coming for a question and a comment.

Question:
I heard one of your executives on XM Radio this morning talking about your speed and the future of that speed, one name left out was Nyquist which I was fairly surprised about because I have always been a fan. I'm not familiar with your roster to know who is available and who is not but if he is what is his value in a trade? Lets see what we can come up with.

Comment:
Hope you like Mike Green!!!

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Question:
I heard one of your executives on XM Radio this morning talking about your speed and the future of that speed, one name left out was Nyquist which I was fairly surprised about because I have always been a fan. I'm not familiar with your roster to know who is available and who is not but if he is what is his value in a trade? Lets see what we can come up with.

Comment:

Green was probably our second best D this year despite not putting up a ton of points but we definitely like him.

So as far as most wings fans on here are concerned Nyquist and Tatar are not core pieces. They are both easily top 6 wingers that have spurts of being elite but they cannot be relied upon over the course of an 82 game season. We'd definitely like to move one of them, but not for cheap. We need defensive help pretty badly. Thus on these boards a common discussion is Nyquist/Tatar++ for a relatively young top 4 defenseman.

The most common names are Fowler, Vatanen and Shattenkirk. Depending on the guy those pluses vary. Based on my knowledge of Washington's roster (I'm actually a casual fan of you guys and thus I know your roster situation somewhat) I don't think there's a trade to be had because your interested in winning now and probably don't want to ship out good defenseman.

I'm not sure about your defensive prospects though. If you have a guy that is less than 2 years away and looks more or less sure-fire top 4 with the capacity for top line play but it not being a certainty by any stretch of the imagination, then something along the lines of Nyquist/Tatar (+a small add if necessary such as a mid-round pick one of our middling D prospects or Jurco/Pulkks) for Good D prospect+ pick (preferably your late first) could be worked out.

Our second biggest need is the second line center spot. If you have an NHL ready center prospect that can fill in at 2 C then perhaps we could work a similar deal to above.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Question:

Comment:

Well, we need defenseman pretty badly.

I'm assuming Carlson and Alzner are off the table?

Not really interested in Niskanen as we could have had him for nothing.

What would Bowey or Orlov cost? No, I would not give up Nyquist for either.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Green was probably our second best D this year despite not putting up a ton of points but we definitely like him.

So as far as most wings fans on here are concerned Nyquist and Tatar are not core pieces. They are both easily top 6 wingers that have spurts of being elite but they cannot be relied upon over the course of an 82 game season. We'd definitely like to move one of them, but not for cheap. We need defensive help pretty badly. Thus on these boards a common discussion is Nyquist/Tatar++ for a relatively young top 4 defenseman.

The most common names are Fowler, Vatanen and Shattenkirk. Depending on the guy those pluses vary. Based on my knowledge of Washington's roster (I'm actually a casual fan of you guys and thus I know your roster situation somewhat) I don't think there's a trade to be had because your interested in winning now and probably don't want to ship out good defenseman.

I'm not sure about your defensive prospects though. If you have a guy that is less than 2 years away and looks more or less sure-fire top 4 with the capacity for top line play but it not being a certainty by any stretch of the imagination, then something along the lines of Nyquist/Tatar (+a small add if necessary such as a mid-round pick one of our middling D prospects or Jurco/Pulkks) for Good D prospect+ pick (preferably your late first) could be worked out.

Our second biggest need is the second line center spot. If you have an NHL ready center prospect that can fill in at 2 C then perhaps we could work a similar deal to above.

I was always a big Mike Green fan, if you can accept his bonehead moves in the defensive zone he is the man.

The Caps do have a very high end defensive prospect in Madison Bowey who is tearing it up in the playoffs this season in the AHL. He is on the fringe of a spot for next season but will be in the NHL as a regular the season after that. I would think to your organization he is attractive. How about Bowey, Winnik, and a 2nd for Nyquist?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think there's a decent chance Zetterberg would be picked so I think he should be protected. Reason being that teams will be protecting their stars, so the expansion team will be composed primarily of castaways/supporting players. Now Zetterberg may not be a star anymore, but he still and likely always will carry that prestige with him. So while the expansion team may not have prime Zetterberg, they WILL have the actual Henrik Zetterberg, Stanley Cup Champion and Conn Smythe winner, pulling on a #40 jersey for their new team.

Not saying it's guaranteed, just that I can see an expansion team thinking in that way. I'm not nearly as convinced of Zetterberg's safety from an expansion draft as some here.

I get annoyed with Ericsson/Abby/whoever contracts because I think the 'Wings lifer' arrangement is being thrown out there far too casually in recent years, but Zetterberg should without a doubt be one of those lifers. Even if his contract is less palatable in his later years. I mean, I just shake my head at those who are salivating at the prospect of shedding Z's contract just because he's slowed down. As if his past and current contributions don't measure up to the relatively minor inconvenience of his contract currently. His cap hit may be 6M, but that's not 6M of dead cap space. He's easily a 4.5M player today, he still thinks the game at an elite level, so we're only overpaying by 1.5M or so. And after all he's done, you're ready to just cast him off for 1.5M? Fairweather much?

When this team was rolling over Hall of Fame roster after Hall of Fame roster the team could eat contracts and relegate people properly to the lower lines. Zetterberg may be a 4.5 million dollar player this season but that is quickly degrading with a period of 5 more years still. The team and fan base need to stop living in the past and realize that the tactics of the past are making the team irrelevant. You can't just patch this roster anymore with vetteran talent, you can't have elite players on the top line when they are breaking apart as they enter the twilight of their career. If you have to protect Zetterberg becasue it makes it more likely Howard and or Erickson are gone then that is good tactics. Hanging on to Zetterberg just because "He's Zetterberg" is a management style this team does not have the skill base to afford anymore. Zetterberg is not a part of any future cups. He got an amazing experience and an amazing career with this team and got to play here 6 additional years after the cup window closed. Zetterberg is not going to be part of any additional cup runs, he is no longer part of a core that is the future of this team if exposing him to the expansion draft means a better future for the team then it should be done. Holding on to his play here in this city for Nostalgia reasons is something the wings can't afford to do nor should have to. Pretty much was the same story here as Ryan Smith in Edm.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was always a big Mike Green fan, if you can accept his bonehead moves in the defensive zone he is the man.

The Caps do have a very high end defensive prospect in Madison Bowey who is tearing it up in the playoffs this season in the AHL. He is on the fringe of a spot for next season but will be in the NHL as a regular the season after that. I would think to your organization he is attractive. How about Bowey, Winnik, and a 2nd for Nyquist?

I would do something around Svechnikov for Bowey... Since I know you guys love Russians :)

Nyquist is a proven player. I'm not trading him for a 2nd round pick with 0 NHL games to his name.

I would swap high upside unproven guy for high upside unproven guy, however. Which is why i think Svech for Bowey might make sense for both sides.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zetterberg is not going to be part of any additional cup runs, he is no longer part of a core that is the future of this team if exposing him to the expansion draft means a better future for the team then it should be done. Holding on to his play here in this city for Nostalgia reasons is something the wings can't afford to do nor should have to. Pretty much was the same story here as Ryan Smith in Edm.

Henrik Zetterberg has trade value. If we want to get rid of him, do a trade.
There will be 20 GMs interested.

But no moron ever in this Universe won't let him go free at expansion draft. This discussion just has to stop.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

Bowey+1st for Nyquist + one of our d prospects (Oullett/Sproul)?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Henrik Zetterberg has trade value. If we want to get rid of him, do a trade.
There will be 20 GMs interested.

But no moron ever in this Universe won't let him go free at expansion draft. This discussion just has to stop.
In terms of trade value, I doubt there are 20 current NHL general managers foolish enough to acquire Henrik Zetterberg at this stage of his career. Perhaps exchanging one bad contract for another, but that doesn't really solve any problems.

The good news is that you only need to find 1 foolish enough to do it, so I definitely wouldn't avoid discussions, but I just don't see any chance of Kenny doing something that practical with a player who is clearly getting the golden parachute treatment.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

This isn't about getting rid of him, it's about his value vs dollar caphit being as much protection as he needs.

Kronwall on the other hand should be sent to the other team kicking and screaming.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer

Might take some convincing from other Caps fans but I am 100% in for this trade. Caps need to be in Win now mode and by the time Bowey will be a proven NHL D-Man Ovechkin will be over 35. Bowey has Drew Doughty characteristics not saying that he is that good but resembles him, he is easily a top 1 or 2 d-man 5 years out. The Caps window to win is not 5 years out its now.

I support the Bowey and a 1st for Nyquist and d prospect

So whats the number for the NHL so we can get this approved?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Might take some convincing from other Caps fans but I am 100% in for this trade. Caps need to be in Win now mode and by the time Bowey will be a proven NHL D-Man Ovechkin will be over 35. Bowey has Drew Doughty characteristics not saying that he is that good but resembles him, he is easily a top 1 or 2 d-man 5 years out. The Caps window to win is not 5 years out its now.

The Red Wings aren't trading a proven NHL winger for a B prospect and a low 1st round draft pick.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I like that trade for the wings but I don't do it as the caps. Bowey is pretty promising and high potential and Nyquist is not necessarily a proven playoff performer. He has 8 points in 35 playoff games and they don't need Nyquist to get into the playoffs. Not really sure Nyquist has a lot of value to the CAPS enough to give up their top D prospect let alone a 1st on top of it.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I like that trade for the wings but I don't do it as the caps. Bowey is pretty promising and high potential and Nyquist is not necessarily a proven playoff performer. He has 8 points in 35 playoff games and they don't need Nyquist to get into the playoffs. Not really sure Nyquist has a lot of value to the CAPS enough to give up their top D prospect let alone a 1st on top of it.

Caps are bordering desperation I think. The team is deep on defense and Bowey likely will not play this season and potentially the next. Nyquist is a top9 player the Caps NEED. The GM has already said the team has a 2-3 year window and that was last year so its now 1-2, Caps have to go all in and that may mean unleashing prospects

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Caps are bordering desperation I think. The team is deep on defense and Bowey likely will not play this season and potentially the next. Nyquist is a top9 player the Caps NEED. The GM has already said the team has a 2-3 year window and that was last year so its now 1-2, Caps have to go all in and that may mean unleashing prospects

I agree with what you're saying except the needing Nyquist part. If you're looking to get over the hump in the playoffs I don't think you trade for a small skill forward who has 8 points in 35 playoff games.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Putting Nyquist on a team in which he's not needed to be a top 5 point producer could be really big for him.

You tend to look at numbers and assume they're absolutes. Nyquist could very well shoot to 65 points next season with some consistency and an improved PP. What was that stretch during the year, like 5 points in 30 games? Not saying it's going to happen or there's a high probability, but just because he's been a playoff toad doesn't mean he's always going to be a toad.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Putting Nyquist on a team in which he's not needed to be a top 5 point producer could be really big for him.

And a way better PP with several dangerous options. And a defense that is way better at moving the puck.

Nyquist would probably produce very, very well on the Capitals. Nyquist and Backstrom would probably be filthy together.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014

Washington's D is pretty set for now, Oullet or Sproul would be sent down and lost to waivers. It would have to be someone who can play in the AHL like Russo or Saajarvi

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I would dance for joy if either Zetterberg or Kronwall got picked by an expansion team. Detroit is long overdue to stop overpaying guys for what they USED to do, and start treating the rebuild seriously. Protect your best young players, and anybody you could still get good trade value for, and if the new team on the block does you a favor by volunteering to take one of your several bad contacts, then celebrate and move on.

If Zetterberg is left unprotected, he would be the first ever captain for the 2017-2018 Las Vegas Aces. Look at expansion teams of the past, they are all awful. A new team would jump at the chance to get a player with his reputation, not only for leadership but to market the team.

And this would be a very, very bad look for Holland. Any reputation he has for loyalty would be gone and replaced with the opposite.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If Zetterberg is left unprotected, he would be the first ever captain for the 2017-2018 Las Vegas Aces. Look at expansion teams of the past, they are all awful. A new team would jump at the chance to get a player with his reputation, not only for leadership but to market the team.

And this would be a very, very bad look for Holland. Any reputation he has for loyalty would be gone and replaced with the opposite.

This train of thought is absolutely ridiculous.

If you want leadership you sign someone like Brad Richards to a 1 year/$3 million contract. You don't take on a $6M cap hit/5 year contract for "leadership".

And Zetterberg marketing a team? Huh? You think fans of a team who didn't give a crap about Zetterberg when he was actually good (because they aren't Wings fans) are going to come to the arena just to see a broken down, slow, 36-39 year old player? At this stage in his career Zetterberg is one of the most painful, boring players in the NHL to watch. The guy can barely skate and isn't good anymore. I'm sure the fans will be coming out in droves to see the slowest player in the NHL skate around the perimeter protecting the puck before he falls down time after time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad