Helene St. James Holland: Mike Babcock extension unlikely before season

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I almost derailed the thread on Smitty and PP time after responding to this post:

What the hell kind of answer is that. Man I think hes gone for sure after this season.

Not posted here, but it's alleged that Shanny approached the Wings about Babcock this summer and was refused access. In the past, the Wings have allowed it, but I think they feel fairly plundered of staff right now, losing Nill, head of scouting and then of course, several assistant coaches (which is a bit more expected).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-value-of-young-stud-defencemen/

28. Nick Kypreos reported last week that Brendan Shanahan contacted the Red Wings last summer about Mike Babcock’s availability before the Maple Leafs extended Randy Carlyle, but were denied any contact. The highest-paid coach in the NHL is Joel Quenneville, with an average salary believed to be $2.9 million. (One qualifier: Patrick Roy’s exact compensation is unknown, but he has a Vice-President’s title.) Babcock is aiming for that, and beyond. The NHL does not have too many situations (if any) where the coach makes more than the GM. Are the Red Wings willing to do that? It’s common in the NBA and NFL, but not in puckville.

Given Holland's tenure and overall record of success with the Wings, I think it would be a slap in the face to pay Babcock more.

Is it possible that Babs is unhappy they've restricted other teams from giving him an idea of what they would pay, as someone who stuck it out with the team for 10 yrs? Clearly there's some discord going on.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I almost derailed the thread on Smitty and PP time after responding to this post:

Not posted here, but it's alleged that Shanny approached the Wings about Babcock this summer and was refused access. In the past, the Wings have allowed it, but I think they feel fairly plundered of staff right now, losing Nill, head of scouting and then of course, several assistant coaches (which is a bit more expected).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-value-of-young-stud-defencemen/

Given Holland's tenure and overall record of success with the Wings, I think it would be a slap in the face to pay Babcock more.

Is it possible that Babs is unhappy they've restricted other teams from giving him an idea of what they would pay, as someone who stuck it out with the team for 10 yrs? Clearly there's some discord going on.

Price tag is determined by market. Do you think professional athletes deserve to get paid millions and millions? It doesn't matter what me,you,or anyone think. If there are someone willing to pay, then that's the price. Babcock being paid more than his GM is not a huge social phenomena, there is no reason to go all philosophical about it.

If anything I think Holland would be happy to have a coach who gets paid more than his GM because that means he's good. I dont think, further down the road, Holland would refrain from signing a coach who gets paid more than himself because that would be 'slap in the face' of his service.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Price tag is determined by market. Do you think professional athletes deserve to get paid millions and millions? It doesn't matter what me,you,or anyone think. If there are someone willing to pay, then that's the price. Babcock being paid more than his GM is not a huge social phenomena, there is no reason to go all philosophical about it.

If anything I think Holland would be happy to have a coach who gets paid more than his GM because that means he's good. I dont think, further down the road, Holland would refrain from signing a coach who gets paid more than himself because that would be 'slap in the face' of his service.
Theres only 600 people that can play in the NHL so theyll get paid. In the NHL a coach getting paid more then a GM is unheard of so it would be a big thing

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Theres only 600 people that can play in the NHL so theyll get paid. In the NHL a coach getting paid more then a GM is unheard of so it would be a big thing

Maybe. It's an interesting situation for sure. Especially to whoever involved in pro hockey.

I just dont think we need to go overboard and try to put this on a GM vs coach salary angle. Babcock is going to get a raise he deserves and Many GMs will be happy to pay for his service. (by the sound of it, including Holland)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->