HOH Top 60 Wingers - Participant Survey

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Now that the results of the HOH Top 60 Wingers project are complete, here are the results of a survey of the participants. 21 of 23 participants who submitted a list for Round 1 and were eligible for Round 2 have sent their responses for this survey.

Q1: Age
Survey Q1.jpg

The project participants were primarily aged 20-50, with the largest cohort in their 30s.

Q2: Nationality
Survey Q2.jpg

Q3: Favourite NHL team (Multiple mentions accepted)
Survey Q3.jpg

The project had a wide range of fans from different NHL teams. The Canucks and Maple Leafs fan bases had the most representation.

Last edited by a moderator:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Q4: Playing experience
Survey Q4.jpg

Q5: Coaching experience
Survey Q5.jpg

The group has some experience playing hockey but it's clear that this project has drawn on their experience watching hockey and skills in historical research, not on their hockey careers.

Q6: Which of the following games do you prefer to watch
Survey Q6.jpg

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Q7: What era or eras of hockey were your favourite to watch? (Multiple responses accepted)
Survey Q7.jpg

Once again the early 90s NHL were the favourite era of a plurality of voters. This may reflect their age demographics, or maybe the early 90s NHL was really that entertaining.

Q8: Please rate the following sources of information in importance to your opinions on this project from 1 to 5, where 1 is not important at all and 5 is extremely important. (Please respond for those players for whom the category applies. For example, if you have only watched 20 of the players in the project play on TV, and you would give TV viewing an importance of 3 in evaluating those players, please respond with 3.)
Survey Q8.jpg

9. Please rate the following aspects from 1 to 5 in terms of how important they are to you when rating players, where 1 is least important and 5 is most important.
Survey Q9.jpg

Q10: Comments/feedback/suggestions?
There were several comments about the project. I'll summarize them here - if anyone wants to go into more detail they can post it themselves, either here or in discussion about future projects.

First, there were several positive comments - participants who had a lot of fun, learned a lot, etc.

There were also several comments about ways in which participants felt the project could have been better. Even within these responses there was quite a bit of diversity of opinion.

(Note - these comments came from a total of four participants.)

• Discussions could have had better flow to the conversation.
  • Limit the discussion to participants.
  • Non-participants questioning the motives of participants and accusing them of bias - should there be a code of conduct for non-voters who post in the discussions?
  • The project would be better if people spent more time doing research to prove their points and less time arguing.
  • The screening process should be stricter.
  • There should be a knowledge test on the history of hockey for participants.
  • Too many people were presenting only part of the picture when arguing.
  • Too many voters were unwilling to change their lists.
  • Too much influence by the screening committee/ATDers on the original lists.
  • Too much questioning of other posters motives by participants, contrary to the code of conduct for participants.

I hope everyone involved can take this list as constructive criticism/suggestions. To me, these projects are among the best things on this site. Thanks a lot to all those who contributed their time and effort!

Previous participant surveys
For the sake of comparison, here are links to the participant surveys for previous projects.

HOH Top 60 Defensemen - Participant Survey
HOH Top 40 Goalies - Participant Survey
HOH Top 60 Centers - Participant Survey

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Judging by the nationalities, seems like my survey didn't register?

Yours registered. (I assume, based on nationality.)

I can't think why but I made an error when posting the results on the nationality question. Sorry about that - updating now.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Voters were sure reluctant to give out "1"s for "not important" when listing criteria for how they ranked players. I think I was the one had had it for "length of career" (while giving "length of peak/prime" either a 4 or 5)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad