Lowest vote

NONE

Last edited by a moderator:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Melikes:

- generally, there seems to be decent appreciation for old European wingers, although e.g. Makarov is lower than usual
- Makarov and Kharlamov closer to each other than on most lists (that's how I would have them)
- Selänne and Kurri next to each other (ditto)
- although Martinec is probably a bit too high (this coming from a fan), his ranking vis-á-vis Mikhailov (2 high too) makes sense. Interestingly, although there were some Mikhailov vs. Martinec debates in the preliminary discussion, it seems that no one placed Martinec higher or even very close - and I think that might be correct

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Interestingly, although there were some Mikhailov vs. Martinec debates in the preliminary discussion, it seems that no one placed Martinec higher or even very close - and I think that might be correct

Why wouldn't they be close at least, given their World Championships resume?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Why wouldn't they be close at least, given their World Championships resume?

Mikhailov had 168 points* in 105 WHC games, and Martinec 110 points in 102 games. Should we just ignore that 50-60 point difference in their production? I'm sure some of it can be explained by the fact that Mikhailov played for the powerhouse Soviet national team and Martinec for slightly lesser (but still very good) team, but hardly all of it?

While Martinec was arguably a little better in 1974-77, I'd say that Mikhailov was considerably better in 1970-73 and 1978-79 - in the World Championships at least. Ergo, IMO Mikhailov was a better overall performer at the World Championships, even though Martinec has 4 all-star berths to Mikhailov's 2. Mikhailov also did better against deeper competition and was a more consistent scorer in the Soviet league than Martinec was in the Czechoslovak league; while it is still a bit unclear how much weight we should put on those domestic numbers, maybe they mean something at least?

Martinec may have had the better peak, but I'd say Mikhailov had a considerable edge in prime.

* though I've seen 164 pts also being mentioned, and I think it might be more correct

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad