Vote 3 - Ovechkin in 7th
Vote 4 - Bathgate not ranked
Vote 7 - Bentley in 9th
Vote 9 - Conacher not ranked

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Selanne ahead of Kurri.Goulet ahead of Cournoyer.Iginla ahead of Bucyk,Gainey Cournoyer. Doug Bentley ahead of Armstrong. Gartner ahead of Provost. Shutt and Daniel Sedin certainly not defensive wingers.

I think Sedin is way better defensively than what he's being credited for.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He definitely likes defensive wingers from teams that won a lot.

Yes that's an understatement but I'm wondering exactly when AO passed Gainey on his list as Gainey is right behind AO.

Also the Jagr behind Bossy and Lafleur is extremely questionable.

a really strange list, but then again mine will be as well.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes that's an understatement but I'm wondering exactly when AO passed Gainey on his list as Gainey is right behind AO.

No, Jagr behind Lafleur is absolutely not questionnable... Like, you don't see things this way, and I dont either, but its not questionable.

They ended up back-to-back both in aggregate and in Round 2, only the other way.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
11 of the 21 rated higher than anyone else (or second highest) are habs or O6 players.

2 out of 10 rated lowest or second lowest fall into those categories.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Irony.

Certain irony in your comment. If Ovechkin had played the same quality of hockey in the pre Barry Trotz days then he would have been higher in my ratings.

BUT he did not. Conversely presently Ovechkin's VsX is much lower than it was during the pre Trotz period. So the rest of the participants might have rated him much lower as a result even though team success might have been better.:laugh:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Zone Starts

I think Sedin is way better defensively than what he's being credited for.

Daniel Sedin offers the best synergy between a LW and a Center that I have ever seen. Regardless of the "twin" factor a very important consideration for offensive and defensive play.

If the Canucks had invested the same time and effort working on the Sedin's defensive game instead of relying on Zone Starts we would have a much better appreciation of their overall talents.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
1st of all Lafleur should be ahead of Jagr-No question not even close-Did Jagr ever lead a team to a cup-never.Jagr reminds me of a Dionne-a goal suck who was a me player.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
1st of all Lafleur should be ahead of Jagr-No question not even close-Did Jagr ever lead a team to a cup-never.Jagr reminds me of a Dionne-a goal suck who was a me player.

Did Lafleur ever "lead" a team to a Cup? Seems like the Canadiens had a pretty solid ensemble there for you to confidently pick one guy out as the driver.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Guy Lafleur led team to 4 cups-Led play-offs in scoring 3 times,Played with Lemaire,Maholovich both borderline elite players.I would Argue Shutt has no business in Hull of Fame.1978-79-Lafleur led team in scoring by 52 pts.Who did Lafleur have to play with again

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Think about this Folks-Guy Lafleur had nearly 400 more assists then his centermen he played with in his prime-Think about this he had 8 fights all before 1976.Even his last full season led team in scoring-Compare Lafleurs teamates with Richard,Jagr,Bossy he had no one of the elite variety

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I think Jagr over Lafleur is defensible since Jagr's prime was longer and sure he never pulled a team completely by himself. But neither did Lafleur the 1970s Habs were quite a stacked team with possibly the greatest top 4 defense ever on one team and a top 10 goalie of all time.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Wait - you're using Lafleur's fight record to prove that he led teams to Cups? That made my morning.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Guy Lafleur and Boxing

Wait - you're using Lafleur's fight record to prove that he led teams to Cups? That made my morning.

Then this should make your day:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Jack+Todd+Fisher+about+respect/6753811/story.html

Thom was referring to a fact that is not known by many. Simply adding to the data base about Guy Lafleur the other attributes he brought to the rink.

It is also part of the explanation for Lafleur's incredible stamina dispite being a chain smoker. Guy Lafleur was able to go thru a 3 minute shadow boxing routine that was the envy of any elite pro boxer.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Trained as a Boxer

I'm hoping that the Seattle Seahawks make my day. ;)

As for Lafleur, I know that he has fought. I don't consider that as much of an asset as others, apparently.

Fighting and training as a boxer are two opposites. Developing the stamina to go 10-15 rounds as was possible in the 1970s and 1980s despite smoking makes it very easy to play one to two minute shifts.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It is also part of the explanation for Lafleur's incredible stamina dispite being a chain smoker. Guy Lafleur was able to go thru a 3 minute shadow boxing routine that was the envy of any elite pro boxer.

Yes I seem to recall reading that he hired a Boxing Trainer to oversee his conditioning & workout regimen prior to his return from retirement as he only had a couple of weeks really before the start of training camp with New York. Using boxing as the basis for conditioning accelerates the process, and as Lafleur rather amusingly commented when asked about it at the time, said "no, Im not taking Boxing lessons so I can come back as a Goon"..... And speaking of Guy, and totally Off Topic but hey ho, he's in the middle of a Civil Suit in Montreal at the moment I believe, suing the Police & Crown for $2.1M in lost sponsorship & endorsement contracts back in 2008 claiming Wrongful Arrest in connection with his wayward Son's nonsense.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think Jagr over Lafleur is defensible since Jagr's prime was longer and sure he never pulled a team completely by himself. But neither did Lafleur the 1970s Habs were quite a stacked team with possibly the greatest top 4 defense ever on one team and a top 10 goalie of all time.

I... Think the whole point was the contrary : Lafleur ahead of Jagr supposedly not being defensible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00