Gary Suter (48)
Eric Desjardins (54)

Players ranked lowest overall on this list
Chris Chelios* (14)
Doug Wilson (73)

Players unique to this list
None

*tie

Round | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Rank 3 | Rank 4 | Rank 5 | Rank 6 | Rank 7 | Rank 8 | Rank 9 | Rank 10
Round 1|Bobby Orr|Doug Harvey|Eddie Shore|Nicklas Lidstrom|Ray Bourque|Red Kelly|Denis Potvin|Viacheslav Fetisov|Larry Robinson|Chris Chelios
Round 2|Red Kelly|Denis Potvin|Viacheslav Fetisov|Larry Robinson| King Clancy| Chris Chelios| Pierre Pilote| Brad Park| Al MacInnis|Paul Coffey
Round 3|Tim Horton|King Clancy|Pierre Pilote|Brad Park|Al MacInnis|Earl Seibert|Paul Coffey|Chris Pronger|Scott Stevens|Sprague Cleghorn
Round 4| Tim Horton| Dit Clapper| Al MacInnis| Earl Seibert| Bill Gadsby| Chris Pronger| Scott Stevens| Serge Savard| Valeri Vasiliev| Brian Leetch
Round 5| Dit Clapper| Bill Gadsby| Jack Stewart| Serge Savard| Valeri Vasiliev*| Bill Quackenbush| Brian Leetch| Mark Howe| Rod Langway| Guy Lapointe
Round 6|Jack Stewart|Serge Savard|Bill Quackenbush|Mark Howe|Lionel Conacher|Jacques Laperriere|Rod Langway|Emile "Butch" Bouchard|Guy Lapointe|Scott Niedermayer
Round 7|Jack Stewart|Jacques Laperriere|Lionel Conacher|Emile "Butch" Bouchard|Guy Lapointe|Ebbie Goodfellow|Scott Niedermayer|Zdeno Chara|Carl Brewer|Larry Murphy
Round 8|Jacques Laperriere|Ernest "Moose" Johnson|Jan Suchy|Emile "Butch" Bouchard|Ebbie Goodfellow|Zdeno Chara|Hod Stuart|Carl Brewer|Larry Murphy|Alexei Kasatonov
Round 9|Ernest "Moose" Johnson|Jan Suchy|Ken Reardon|Zdeno Chara|Emile "Butch" Bouchard|Ebbie Goodfellow|Carl Brewer|Larry Murphy|Rob Blake|Georges "Buck" Boucher
Round 10|Jan Suchy|Ken Reardon|Carl Brewer|Larry Murphy|Georges "Buck" Boucher|Alexander Ragulin|Allan Stanley|Sylvio Mantha|Tom Johnson|Harry Howell
Round 11|Ken Reardon|Harvey Pulford|Sergei Zubov|Alexander Ragulin|Allan Stanley|Sylvio Mantha|Lester Patrick|Tom Johnson|Harry Howell|Fern Flaman
Round 12|Harvey Pulford|Sergei Zubov|Alexander Ragulin|Allan Stanley|Sylvio Mantha|Harry Howell|Fern Flaman|Harry Cameron|Babe Pratt|Frantisek Pospisil

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
A little surprised that this wasn't the lowest ranking for Salming.

Desjardins at 54 is ballsy, but I like it. I don't like Gary Suter at 45.

Also interesting to see the very high opinion of Sergie Zubov (one spot over Rob Blake with Gary Suter only one spot below Blake?)

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm surprised we haven't seen "OMG, Lidstrom over Bourque! You noob!" (I think it's perfectly defensible, even though I wouldn't rank them that way).

I think it's obvious from some of the rankings (Lidstrom over Bourque, Horton and Zubov so high, Salming so low, Foote and Rafalski listed) that reckoning places a higher emphasis on contribution to team success than most voters.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Some good arguments from the posters in the voting threads convinced me that I had underrated Chelios, Chara, Stanley and Pospisil on my original list, something that I tried to correct on the weekly votes.

My high ranking of Dit Clapper was because I was looking at his entire career, though it became apparent during the voting that most of the other posters were only considering his years on defence. I'm still not sure which is right.

Suter and Desjardins both got bumped up because I felt after my first draft that 90s defencemen were being underrepresented, and maybe I was being too biased towards the players from the 70s and 80s over them. I view them both as guys with long, respectable careers as dependable, productive players. If defencemen had a stat for two-way play that they could accumulate over their career similar to points for forwards, they'd both have good career numbers and might be rated higher by more people, despite the lack of a Norris season.

I'm very surprised that my rating for J.C. Tremblay (#59) wasn't his lowest.

And yes, when I couldn't decide between two players, team success was usually the tiebreaker.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Some good arguments from the posters in the voting threads convinced me that I had underrated Chelios, Chara, Stanley and Pospisil on my original list, something that I tried to correct on the weekly votes.

My high ranking of Dit Clapper was because I was looking at his entire career, though it became apparent during the voting that most of the other posters were only considering his years on defence. I'm still not sure which is right.

Suter and Desjardins both got bumped up because I felt after my first draft that 90s defencemen were being underrepresented, and maybe I was being too biased towards the players from the 70s and 80s over them. I view them both as guys with long, respectable careers as dependable, productive players. If defencemen had a stat for two-way play that they could accumulate over their career similar to points for forwards, they'd both have good career numbers and might be rated higher by more people, despite the lack of a Norris season.

I'm very surprised that my rating for J.C. Tremblay (#59) wasn't his lowest.

And yes, when I couldn't decide between two players, team success was usually the tiebreaker.

You were low on Tremblay, but we've already seen tarheelhockey list him at 62, and that wasn't Tremblay's lowest ranking.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm surprised we haven't seen "OMG, Lidstrom over Bourque! You noob!" (I think it's perfectly defensible, even though I wouldn't rank them that way).

I think it's obvious from some of the rankings (Lidstrom over Bourque, Horton and Zubov so high, Salming so low, Foote and Rafalski listed) that reckoning places a higher emphasis on contribution to team success than most voters.

Usually when someone ranks Lidstrom over Bourque, they also rank him over Shore and possibly Harvey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad