Players from the Top 60 not to appear on this list
Ken Reardon

Players ranked highest overall on this list
None

Players ranked lowest overall on this list
None

Players unique to this list
Ulf Samuelsson (80)

Round | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Rank 3 | Rank 4 | Rank 5 | Rank 6 | Rank 7 | Rank 8 | Rank 9 | Rank 10
Vote 1|Bobby Orr|Doug Harvey|Ray Bourque|Nicklas Lidstrom|Eddie Shore|Denis Potvin|Red Kelly|Chris Chelios|Larry Robinson| Vyacheslav Fetisov
Vote 2|Denis Potvin|Red Kelly|Vyacheslav Fetisov|Chris Chelios|Larry Robinson|Paul Coffey|Brad Park|King Clancy|Pierre Pilote| Al MacInnis
Vote 3|Paul Coffey|King Clancy|Brad Park|Pierre Pilote|Tim Horton|Al MacInnis|Scott Stevens|Sprague Cleghorn|Earl Seibert|Chris Pronger
Vote 4|Tim Horton|Scott Stevens|Al MacInnis|Earl Seibert|Chris Pronger|Brian Leetch|Dit Clapper|Borje Salming|Bill Gadsby|Valeri Vasiliev
Vote 5|Borje Salming|Brian Leetch|Dit Clapper|Bill Gadsby|Valeri Vasiliev|Serge Savard|Mark Howe|od Langway|Scott Niedermayer|Guy Lapointe
Vote 6|Serge Savard|Mark Howe|Lionel Conacher|Bill Quackenbush|Rod Langway|Jack Stewart|Jacques Laperriere|Scott Niedermayer|Eddie Gerard|Guy Lapointe
Vote 7|Jack Stewart|Guy Lapointe|Marcel Pronovost|Jacques Laperriere|Scott Niedermayer|Alexei Kasatonov|Lionel Conacher|J.C. Tremblay|Carl Brewer|Zdeno Chara
Vote 8|Ivan "Ching" Johnson|Jacques Laperriere|Hod Stuart|Alexei Kasatonov|Ernest "Moose" Johnson|J.C. Tremblay|Carl Brewer|Zdeno Chara|Emile "Butch" Bouchard|Ebbie Goodfellow
Vote 9|Ernest "Moose" Johnson|Carl Brewer|Zdeno Chara|Ebbie Goodfellow|Emile "Butch" Bouchard|Jan Suchy|Albert "Babe" Siebert|Rob Blake|Georges "Buck" Boucher|Larry Murphy
Vote 10|NONE|||||||||
Vote 11|Tom Johnson|Art Coulter|Ken Reardon|Sylvio Mantha|Lester Patrick|Alexander Ragulin|Doug Wilson|Harry Cameron|Allan Stanley|Fern Flaman
Vote 12|Frantisek Pospisil|Sylvio Mantha|Allan Stanley|Harry Cameron|Alexander Ragulin|Fern Flaman|Bill White|Mike Grant|Babe Pratt|Harvey Pulford

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Wow that was way more boring than I thought it was going to be. Reardon was mostly just an oversight which I'm glad I was able to correct in the actual voting. I also had way too many modern (as in 80s-onward) players ranked too high, and historical players ranked too low (but at least still on the list), another thing I'm glad I was able to correct in the 2nd round. I'm also glad I learned a lot more information about the international players once we started voting.

Since Ulf Samuelsson is the only guy unique to my list (although I guess he'd fall off to get Reardon on there), I'll explain that choice. I wanted to give some representation to primarily-defensive defensemen from the 80s-90s period, since I think that group as a whole gets lost in the shuffle a bit (although somewhat justifiably considering how many great two-way defensemen came along during that period). So that spot was sort of down to Samuelsson, Kevin Lowe, Derian Hatcher, and Adam Foote for me. I went with Ulf because in addition to being a key defensive contributor on two Stanley Cup champions, he also had to play in some tough circumstances: a defensive d-man in the late 1980s and early 1990s, partially on a usually-bad Hartford Whalers team where he was the anchor of the defense, plus being hated around the league by lots of other players and media people.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Ulf had a pretty solid career and is not out of place on any top 80 list.

A guy like Foote should probably be there but there is only so much room.

I still don't understand the Horton (at 16 ahead of big Al and Scott Stevens) thing though and I'm a huge career guy.

Did it come down to playoffs or what was the deciding factor?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
not a bad list at all , especially if Reardon was just an oversight.

I still think Chara deserves to be higher , but almost every single list has him in that range so...

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
Excellent, excellent list aside from the Reardon omission. I would have placed Stevens and MacInnis a few slots higher, and certainly in front of Horton, and ranked Leetch in the top twenty but that's a very strong, nicely varied list with representation from different time periods, different styles of play, and different national backgrounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad