HOH Top 60 Centers of All Time

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Drasaitl, Strome, Cagguila, Kassian (he can skate, showing your ignorance towards the Oilers), RNH all skate fine. This doesn't even tap into our bottom line Khaira, Slepyshev, Cammerleri also all skate fine.

Before we traded him Maroon couldn't and now Lucic is the only skating boat anchor we have

Kassian was quickly jettisoned by Montreal after being the slowest potential NHLer in training camp. Others with similar off ice issues were kept because they could at least skate.

MF provided a detailed recap.

Oilers do not have a viable NHL first pass defenceman so the centers have to come come back deep to start an attack. Hard to do with slow wingers.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Kassian was quickly jettisoned by Montreal after being the slowest potential NHLer in training camp. Others with similar off ice issues were kept because they could at least skate.

MF provided a detailed recap.

Oilers do not have a viable NHL first pass defenceman so the centers have to come come back deep to start an attack. Hard to do with slow wingers.

1) Clearly you haven't watch the Oilers because Kassian can skate now
2) Yes we do, but both of them Klefbom and Sekera were dealing with serious injuries

It's clear you don't watch the Oilers so please stop pretending to know about them

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1) Clearly you haven't watch the Oilers because Kassian can skate now
2) Yes we do, but both of them Klefbom and Sekera were dealing with serious injuries

It's clear you don't watch the Oilers so please stop pretending to know about them

I also watch other teams and feeder levels to the NHL

Making sense. So the other five-six, defencemen cannot make an NHL quality first pass by your admission.

Explains why Kassian's TOI has shrunk each of the last six seasons.

Zack Kassian Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Killion

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, there's some passes that can be made...these guys are in the league...but we're mostly talking about carrying the puck across lines. This is what takes pressure off the center given the Oilers system as it currently stands.

Kassian, while I think he is a fine skater, gets an advantage to the un- or semi-trained eye because he can play down hill all the time...he's not a start and stop player, he doesn't move laterally really...so his "down hill speed" is fine...a lot of players look like that in the NHL (I mean, look at the Sharks...one of the slowest teams in the league...they sure look fast on odd man rushes though because Anaheim is being a bunch of muppets...but they're not fast, they're not good skaters as a whole). Either way, he's not a relevant player.

Sekera looked horrific for much of the year, and got even slower. Hopefully he can work himself back into a top-4 caliber player, otherwise the Oilers are really beat on the back line...Nurse has no hockey sense, Benning has no poise, Russell actually isn't untalented but isn't allowed to cross his own blue line because no one is fast enough to back check on that team, so he gets to be a speed bump for 22 minutes a night or whatever...that group is in rough shape, they're not one move away...and it's not on the coach either. The transition game is mud because of the roster (sans McDavid, and to a lesser extent Drai, HM to Klefbom).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Would most have Crosby at #4 right now?

Has Malkin entered the Top 20, Top 15?

Crosby is 4th on my list behind Béliveau.

Good comparables for Malkin are Syl Apps Sr or Peter Forsberg.

Not sure how he'd look compared to H.Richard, Schmidt, Lalonde, Malone...

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Stamkos probably makes it. He was actually an option last time.

Toews and Kopitar would have to match Zetterberg or be better than Lemaire or Colville.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Stamkos probably makes it. He was actually an option last time.

Toews and Kopitar would have to match Zetterberg or be better than Lemaire or Colville.

This list was done during the 13-14 season right?

I don’t see what Stamkos has done of any real significance since then.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The one I wouldn't be able to leave out that time around is Patrice Bergeron.
Whoever came up with 5th / 15th regading Crosby / Malkin pretty much nailed it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i'm not sure i see crosby over mikita yet.

there is a playoff discrepancy, but it doesn't look enormous to me. mikita has a cup and four other finals, generally acquitted himself very well in the playoffs and finishing just a hair under a career point/game even though he played until he was 37. crosby has, obviously, the three cups and one other finals. fwiw, each only led the playoffs in scoring once, and both in years they lost.

for regular season achievement counting:

mikita: 2 harts
crosby: 2 harts

mikita: 3 hart top 2s
crosby: 4 hart top 2s

mikita: 3 hart top 3s
crosby: 5 hart top 3s

mikita: 5 hart top 5s
crosby: 6 hart top 5s

mikita: 4 art rosses
crosby: 2 art rosses

mikita: 5 top 2s
crosby: 4 top 2s

mikita: 8 top 3s
crosby: 8 top 3s

(neither of them have any 4th or 5th place scoring finishes)

mikita: 4 league leads in points/game
crosby: 5 league leads in points/game

mikita: 5 top 2s in points/game
crosby: 7 top 2s in points/game

mikita: 9 top 3s in points/game
crosby: 9 top 3s in points/game

mikita: 10 top 5s in points/game
crosby: 10 top 5s in points/game

mikita: 6 first team all-stars
crosby: 4 first team all-stars

mikita: 8 postseason all-stars
crosby: 7 postseason all-stars

so it feels like crosby has basically caught up to mikita's counting accomplishments, but not definitively passed them (yet, obviously).

but mikita played more than 500 games. at this point, i can't overlook that.

i also can't overlook a nine year peak where mikita played the 4th most games, scored the most points, had the highest points/game, 2nd most goals, most assists, won two harts and four art rosses, finished top three in scoring every year but one (when he finished 4th behind espo, howe, and hull), and had six first team all-stars and two second team all-stars.

and, back to those "other" 500 games he still has over crosby, if you take out mikita's nine season prime, he still has 761 games, 244 goals, 449 assists, 693 points. to put that points total in perspective, mikita retired in 1980. on the day he played his last game, those 693 points would have been good for 39th all-time. to put that games played total in perspective, to date crosby has played 864 games.

so i guess i just don't see crosby's edge in playoff performance quite overtaking mikita's 6-7 extra seasons yet.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Didn’t you just, like this week, in another thread post a top 20 players of all time list that had Crosby at #14(and the 5th highest ranked center) and Mikita nowhere to be found?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
so it feels like crosby has basically caught up to mikita's counting accomplishments, but not definitively passed them (yet, obviously).

but mikita played more than 500 games. at this point, i can't overlook that.

i also can't overlook a nine year peak where mikita played the 4th most games, scored the most points, had the highest points/game, 2nd most goals, most assists, won two harts and four art rosses, finished top three in scoring every year but one (when he finished 4th behind espo, howe, and hull), and had six first team all-stars and two second team all-stars..

Crosby has a 13 year peak:

-not sure why the # of games is important, if anything Crosby's raw numbers are that much more impressive with his missed games

-is almost the leading scorer ( did not have the benefit of his rival missing games so this should be a wash)

-has the significantly higher PPG gap between him and his immediate rival and the field (IMO, made more impressive in a larger league)

-is 2nd goals, 3rd in assists

Crosby should be clearly viewed as the superior per game performer with the added bonus of doing it over four extra seasons.

And it's my understanding that Hull was generally viewed as the #1 threat on the Hawks and drew the tougher matchups like Crosby does.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
there is a playoff discrepancy, but it doesn't look enormous to me. mikita has a cup and four other finals, generally acquitted himself very well in the playoffs and finishing just a hair under a career point/game even though he played until he was 37. crosby has, obviously, the three cups and one other finals. fwiw, each only led the playoffs in scoring once, and both in years they lost.

Looking at Mikita's prime playoff career from 60/61 to 72/73:

#1 in points (by one point)
# 6 in PPG (min. of 50 games)
#2 in goals
#3 in GPG (min. of 50 games)
He has the best pre-expansion playoff run of that era (61/62), arguably the 2nd best playoff run overall
He was 3rd in team scoring (2nd in the SCF) in his only Cup win
He was 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd in team scoring in their four other Cup runs
He was T1st, 3rd, T3rd 3rd in the SCF in their other four Cups runs

Looking at Crosby's prime playoff career from 06/07 to 2018:

#1 in points (by 20)
#1 in PPG (by 10%)
#1 in goals
T5 in GPG
He has arguably the 2nd best playoff run of his era
He has been 2nd, 2nd, and 2nd in team scoring (T4, T2, 1st in the SCF) in their three Cup wins
He was 1st in team scoring (2nd in the SCF) in their other Cup run

Crosby has the better Cup winning run, plus two Conn Smythe winning runs
Mikita arguably has the better playoff run
Crosby has the better Cup run performances
SCF performances are a wash
Crosby clearly has the better overall numbers

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Didn’t you just, like this week, in another thread post a top 20 players of all time list that had Crosby at #14(and the 5th highest ranked center) and Mikita nowhere to be found?

i totally forgot about mikita until i was looking at this thread and thinking about whether crosby had passed morenz and was like, wait a minute has he even passed mikita?

it's not like i have a running top 20 list written on my hand that i update every thursday at midnight.

Looking at Mikita's prime playoff career from 60/61 to 72/73:

#1 in points (by one point)
# 6 in PPG (min. of 50 games)
#2 in goals
#3 in GPG (min. of 50 games)
He has the best pre-expansion playoff run of that era (61/62), arguably the 2nd best playoff run overall
He was 3rd in team scoring (2nd in the SCF) in his only Cup win
He was 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd in team scoring in their four other Cup runs
He was T1st, 3rd, T3rd 3rd in the SCF in their other four Cups runs

Looking at Crosby's prime playoff career from 06/07 to 2018:

#1 in points (by 20)
#1 in PPG (by 10%)
#1 in goals
T5 in GPG
He has arguably the 2nd best playoff run of his era
He has been 2nd, 2nd, and 2nd in team scoring (T4, T2, 1st in the SCF) in their three Cup wins
He was 1st in team scoring (2nd in the SCF) in their other Cup run

Crosby has the better Cup winning run, plus two Conn Smythe winning runs
Mikita arguably has the better playoff run
Crosby has the better Cup run performances
SCF performances are a wash
Crosby clearly has the better overall numbers

i totally agree that crosby is the better playoff performer. but like i said, i don't think it's astronomical, and i think the figures you posted corroborate that. their contributions to finals runs are pretty even, small edge to crosby. where crosby climbs way ahead is in his non-finals runs. but as we saw just a couple of months ago, being able to destroy an inferior team in the first round isn't a luxury mikita had for half of his prime, given that half of mikita's playoff prime was during the two-round era (and, as you note, he has the highest scoring two-round playoff run of all time).

not to say that we can discount what crosby did (i.e., destroy ottawa in the first round in 2010, the islanders in 2013, philly a few months ago), or that we can project that mikita would have definitively done the same, but i think it does somewhat mitigate the difference.

Crosby has a 13 year peak:

-not sure why the # of games is important, if anything Crosby's raw numbers are that much more impressive with his missed games

-is almost the leading scorer ( did not have the benefit of his rival missing games so this should be a wash)

-has the significantly higher PPG gap between him and his immediate rival and the field (IMO, made more impressive in a larger league)

-is 2nd goals, 3rd in assists

Crosby should be clearly viewed as the superior per game performer with the added bonus of doing it over four extra seasons.

And it's my understanding that Hull was generally viewed as the #1 threat on the Hawks and drew the tougher matchups like Crosby does.

philosophically, if a guy has a peak of nine straight seasons where he was healthy every year, was one of the two best centers in the league in all but one year, and finished top three in scoring all but one year (he was 4th), i like that more than a guy with nine seasons of the same quality spread out over a longer period. mikita's consistency was phenomenal and to me that's a big plus.

i also don't love per games. we are reasonably certain that, if healthy, crosby would have been the top scorer in '11 and '12, but that's not the same as actually doing it.

and i also don't think you can say that crosby has had a thirteen year peak. he has an eleven year run as a top three scorer. that's longer than mikita's nine year peak run. outside of that, you have crosby's rookie season (6th) and last season (10th), which are certainly prime but i don't think they count as peak. then subtract the abbreviated '08, '11, and '12 seasons, or count them as fractions of seasons, and crosby has an eight year peak (or nine, if you want to add up the partial seasons to "count" as an extra season) stretched out over eleven seasons.

if you want, i don't mind if you slide crosby's rookie season into that peak, but i don't think the 10th counts. outside of his nine year run, mikita has a first good year (15th), and four more good years in the five after his peak (15th/26th/17th/15th/12th). those are (full) seasons crosby hasn't played (yet). do i think crosby will do better in (full) seasons 12, 13, 14 than mikita did? i'd put money on it. but he hasn't done it yet. mikita had a prime of fifteen years (1,063 games, 1,213 points) where he finished outside of the top 15 twice and outside of the top 20 once. he missed 44 games over those fifteen years, and almost half of them were in one season.

it really is a shame that 3/4 crosby's most astronomical seasons ('11, '12, '13, '14) were abbreviated. but crosby's place relative to the pack in his other years are pretty much the same as mikita's.

re: hull, it's my understanding that mikita's line usually was matched up against other teams' top lines and had more defensive responsibilities than hull's line. so i think their advantage vis-a-vis each other evens out.

but like i said, crosby will almost certainly pass mikita. i'm not even saying it's not close right now, or that you can't make a good case for crosby over mikita. but i still have mikita a little ahead because he has the larger body of work, and even if you go the other way i certainly don't think one could say that crosby is definitively ahead of mikita at this point.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
re: hull, it's my understanding that mikita's line usually was matched up against other teams' top lines and had more defensive responsibilities than hull's line. so i think their advantage vis-a-vis each other evens out.

I was more wondering if the other team's would throw their best D pairings out against Hull or Mikita.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad