HOH Top 60 Centers of All Time

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
But one thing I know: Steve never had anything as dismal as Malkin's (and Crosby's) 2015 playoffs.

Two things:

Who looks at a players' worst playoff and regular season performances for evaluation purposes?

Crosby had 4 pts in 5, a 0.80 PPG, which was just as good or better than six of Steve's playoff runs in pts and as good or better in PPG than seven of Steve's playoff runs.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's a lazy argument to say the 90s was full of star and more competitive than the modern era. I don't agree with this. It's just an opinion - and i've heard it before and often it tends to be very influenced by nostalgia. Back it up by actual examples and proof first, and then we'll talk.

Just look at the those early 90s leaderboards and compare them to the last decade. It's just not even close. Sakic missed your top 10 points per game leaderboard in 1994 for example...a leaderboard that consists of 9 Hall of Famers plus Turgeon. Yzerman got beat out in 1987 by...7 no -doubt HOFers plus an 8th in Ciccarelli, along with Propp and Kerr. In 1996 he was beaten out by 9 HOFers and Mogilny.

Compare to Malkin. Fighting off the likes of Jiri Hudler, Joe Pavelski, Blake Wheeler, Mark Scheifele, Jakub Voracek. Coming up short of Jamie Benn. I mean, I guess the book hasn't been fully written with those guys but come on, this really isn't even close.

I do agree that Malkin missing 15-20 games per year matters of course. I'm honestly not sure how much it matters though. If he has the peak (and he does - he's arguably #1 for peak out of those 4 players) - and if he ends up with enough career longevity (Forsberg has 708 career games total - Malkin is at 774 by age 31, good chance he finishes with a respectable number, even if obviously behind Sakic/Yzerman) - should it matter all that much in an all time sense that his prime is full of pretty strong per-game seasons of 60-65 games, instead of fuller seasons of 80 games but less good on a per-game basis?

I'm not sure that it should hurt him all that much.

He'd have the peak to show he can do it over full seasons
He'd have the career longevity to show he's had an accomplished career
I think seasons of 60-65 games and few of 75-80 games wont matter too much

Constantly missing 20% or more of the season starts to add up when being compared to guys who were usually healthy. Malkin's offensive peak, if we're taking that to be just a couple years, might nose out Yzerman and Sakic. But that's basically it. And it's still close. But he loses every other part of the argument. Prime (best non - peak years)? Too inconsistent and injured, it's easily Sakic and Yzerman advantage there. Longevity? No argument there, obviously. All - around game? Again, not much of a debate to be had. Playoffs? Closer, but you could still easily argue that he's third out of the three at this point.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Two things:

Who looks at a players' worst playoff and regular season performances for evaluation purposes?

Crosby had 4 pts in 5, a 0.80 PPG, which was just as good or better than six of Steve's playoff runs in pts and as good or better in PPG than seven of Steve's playoff runs.

The other league teams do so extensively so that they can replicate the defenses in the future against Crosby and Malkin.

Penguins, Crosby and Malkin, so that they can overcome such strategies in the future.

Historically this process is very interesting and valuable since it allows the observer to compare or evaluate players and coaches accordingly.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The other league teams do so extensively so that they can replicate the defenses in the future against Crosby and Malkin.

Penguins, Crosby and Malkin, so that they can overcome such strategies in the future.

Historically this process is very interesting and valuable since it allows the observer to compare or evaluate players and coaches accordingly.

I guess this all moot since Malkin's 2015 was clearly an anomaly, Crosby's was not dismal and that Steve also had similar playoff outings.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Just look at the those early 90s leaderboards and compare them to the last decade. It's just not even close. Sakic missed your top 10 points per game leaderboard in 1994 for example...a leaderboard that consists of 9 Hall of Famers plus Turgeon. Yzerman got beat out in 1987 by...7 no -doubt HOFers plus an 8th in Ciccarelli, along with Propp and Kerr. In 1996 he was beaten out by 9 HOFers and Mogilny.

Compare to Malkin. Fighting off the likes of Jiri Hudler, Joe Pavelski, Blake Wheeler, Mark Scheifele, Jakub Voracek. Coming up short of Jamie Benn. I mean, I guess the book hasn't been fully written with those guys but come on, this really isn't even close.

Can you prove that any of these Malkin era players would not do as well in any other season relative to the league?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Can you prove that any of these Malkin era players would not do as well in any other season relative to the league?

No. I definitely cannot prove that Jamie Benn wouldn't win a scoring title in a league that featured Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux playing at a high level. A leap of faith is required, unfortunately.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No. I definitely cannot prove that Jamie Benn wouldn't win a scoring title in a league that featured Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux playing at a high level. A leap of faith is required, unfortunately.

Like in 2002 when Jarome Iginila won a scoring title? He beat out Sakic that year, who finished 5th.

You know - Jarome Iginla who after 9 years in the league had 570 points in 708 games, or a PPG of .80
Jamie Benn as of now - after 9 years, has 583 points in only 658 games. Or a PPG of .89

It's called Nostalgia.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Constantly missing 20% or more of the season starts to add up when being compared to guys who were usually healthy. Malkin's offensive peak, if we're taking that to be just a couple years, might nose out Yzerman and Sakic. But that's basically it. And it's still close. But he loses every other part of the argument. Prime (best non - peak years)? Too inconsistent and injured, it's easily Sakic and Yzerman advantage there. Longevity? No argument there, obviously. All - around game? Again, not much of a debate to be had. Playoffs? Closer, but you could still easily argue that he's third out of the three at this point.

You brought up 1994 so let's talk about it. Joe Sakic played 84 games - a full season. He finished 19th in scoring that year. If we go by PPG it brings him down to 33th place. (there's a few 20-30 game guys in there - so maybe bump him up 3 spots to 30).

It doesn't matter that Gretzky finished 1st and won the Ross when 18 other way "lesser" players also outscored Sakic. And for PPG - it's many, many more.

You bring up 1987 for Yzerman. Ok - Yzerman had 90 points in 80 games. Good for 13th in scoring that year - if we go by PPG it bumps him down to 21st place. You know who beat Yzerman in ppg that year? Walt Poddubny. I have no idea who this player is, i never heard of him if i'm being honest.

The fact that there were some good players in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s is irrelavent if guys like Yzerman and Sakic were still way less consistent in performances year over year than Malkin. And they were.

Show me a single season since he entered the league where Malkin has looked as bad as 94 for Sakic, or 87 for Yzerman?

To go back to the season Benn won the Art Ross. Malkin was 7th in PPG that year. He only played 69 games, and had 70 points total. Not great, but still 7th in ppg. The players who beat him in ppg were Crosby, Seguin, Benn, Kane, Tavares and Datsyuk. And that's an "off" year for Malkin, one of his worst. Not too bad - certainly nowhere near as bad as the 2 years you were comparing from Sakic and Yzerman

Nostalgia imo.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Like that was even close to what I was asking or inferring.

It should be obvious that Wayne and Mario influenced Yzerman and Sakic Art Ross finishes. Feel free to remove them for comparison purposes but that's it.

Last edited:

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
You brought up 1994 so let's talk about it. Joe Sakic played 84 games - a full season. He finished 19th in scoring that year. If we go by PPG it brings him down to 33th place. (there's a few 20-30 game guys in there - so maybe bump him up 3 spots to 30).

It doesn't matter that Gretzky finished 1st and won the Ross when 18 other way "lesser" players also outscored Sakic. And for PPG - it's many, many more.

You bring up 1987 for Yzerman. Ok - Yzerman had 90 points in 80 games. Good for 13th in scoring that year - if we go by PPG it bumps him down to 21st place. You know who beat Yzerman in ppg that year? Walt Poddubny. I have no idea who this player is, i never heard of him if i'm being honest.

The fact that there were some good players in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s is irrelavent if guys like Yzerman and Sakic were still way less consistent in performances year over year than Malkin. And they were.

Show me a single season since he entered the league where Malkin has looked as bad as 94 for Sakic, or 87 for Yzerman?

To go back to the season Benn won the Art Ross. Malkin was 7th in PPG that year. He only played 69 games, and had 70 points total. Not great, but still 7th in ppg. The players who beat him in ppg were Crosby, Seguin, Benn, Kane, Tavares and Datsyuk. And that's an "off" year for Malkin, one of his worst. Not too bad - certainly nowhere near as bad as the 2 years you were comparing from Sakic and Yzerman

Nostalgia imo.

Some things I noticed with your argument on this one:

Sakic was 19th in scoring that year sure, but of those 13 are or will be in the HHOF (Jagr is the will be). So I think the other guys point kinda stands on that season., since arguing alone based on PPG is weak at best.

Yzerman your faulting a guy who was 13th in scoring behind 11 HHOF players because of his PPG alone, which I don't think is a solid argument in your case. Though poddubny's higher ppg is kinda funny. Genuinely never heard of him myself so that was interesting.

I really don't see that as nostalgia, thats a genuine point.

If you want a single season, how about 2011 when malkin was 194th in points and 38th in points per game because thats worse than either of yzermans or sakics seasons, or does that not count for you because malkin wasn't playing nearly half the season? Genuinely I'm curious, thats not a rhetorical question. Do you also count Malkins 2013 season where he was 64th in scoring and 14th in PPG or no?

Its all well and good that Malkin may have scored at a better rate in 2015, but he was still behind 17 other players in the points race. I don't think there are 10 players in front of malkin that year that will make the HHOF. I can count 4 definites with Crosby, OV, and the sedins and the rest range from a couple probables to fat chances. That can make the season on par with yzermans and sakics to me.

When you look at comparing the seasons, I don't really get how you are saying malkins 2015 is better than sakics 94 and yzermans 87. If you're looking at PPG sure, but I would much rather have Sakic and Yzerman actually playing the games than an alternative call up in malkins case.

Malkin may have a higher PPG in some seasons compared to his peers, but the fact he didn't play as much in some of those DOES detract from his argument if hes better than, on the same level as, or worse than sakic or yzerman.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty

Jiri Hudler definitely wouldn't, Pavelski has been top 10 in scoring twice which is worse than just about everybody aside from less than a handful of players of the over 30 that beat both sakic and yzerman combined over their respective years (double counting the same players that beat both players each year). Mark Scheifele has been top 10 once so far, and while he won't this season may in the future since he is young so thats up in the air. Jakub Voracek has once before, and may this year so that makes two and might add one more realistically. Jamie Benn has 3 times, won't this season, and I'd be generous to say he could do it another 2 times if the above comparison to Iginla does come to frution as thats how many he had after his art ross win.

Comparing that to the players that beat sakic and yzerman, who were beat by 13 out of 18, and 11 out of 12 HHOF players respectively, thats pretty pungent.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Some things I noticed with your argument on this one:

Sakic was 19th in scoring that year sure, but of those 13 are or will be in the HHOF (Jagr is the will be). So I think the other guys point kinda stands on that season., since arguing alone based on PPG is weak at best.

Yzerman your faulting a guy who was 13th in scoring behind 11 HHOF players because of his PPG alone, which I don't think is a solid argument in your case. Though poddubny's higher ppg is kinda funny. Genuinely never heard of him myself so that was interesting.

I really don't see that as nostalgia, thats a genuine point.

If you want a single season, how about 2011 when malkin was 194th in points and 38th in points per game because thats worse than either of yzermans or sakics seasons, or does that not count for you because malkin wasn't playing nearly half the season? Genuinely I'm curious, thats not a rhetorical question. Do you also count Malkins 2013 season where he was 64th in scoring and 14th in PPG or no?

Its all well and good that Malkin may have scored at a better rate in 2015, but he was still behind 17 other players in the points race. I don't think there are 10 players in front of malkin that year that will make the HHOF. I can count 4 definites with Crosby, OV, and the sedins and the rest range from a couple probables to fat chances. That can make the season on par with yzermans and sakics to me.

When you look at comparing the seasons, I don't really get how you are saying malkins 2015 is better than sakics 94 and yzermans 87. If you're looking at PPG sure, but I would much rather have Sakic and Yzerman actually playing the games than an alternative call up in malkins case.

Malkin may have a higher PPG in some seasons compared to his peers, but the fact he didn't play as much in some of those DOES detract from his argument if hes better than, on the same level as, or worse than sakic or yzerman.

So a few things. First - I don't see what the issue is about looking at PPG when trying to evaluate players all time.

Put it this way. Say you look at an 800 game sample size for 2 players. Or even 800 vs 1000 games (not every player plays the same amount of games, and usually with enough games played extra longevity starts being diminishing returns). But let's start with 800 vs 800.

Player 1 player 10 seasons of 80 games.
Player 2 plays 12 seasons of ~66 games. So you compare 10-12 seasons in a player's prime.

Wouldn't PPG be a more accurate way of comparing those 2 players than just point finishes? I mean if you're looking at Hart within a season (most valuable to his team) - sure it's easy to make a case why most of the time the guy with 80 games is more valuable than the guy with 66 games, unless there's a huge gap in per game performance. And further - if you were trying to determine which player had the overall better career "value" - again maybe more games start to matter. I don't think that career "value" is the biggest component of an all time ranking though. You have the better career by combining better overall play (ppg counts to establish who plays better), counting awards/achievements, playoffs, etc.

Sticking to the example of the 2 players with 800 games each. Well player 2 looks really crappy with 0 completed seasons, and 0 actual end of season awards, right? And Awards absolutely should and do count in a player evaluation. Ok - but for Malkin - he *DOES* have awards. In fact he has more than Sakic/Yzerman. He still doesn't have a "lot" of them since he didn't finish seasons very often, but the seasons he did play in full he won more end of season awards. ie his Peak is good and strong enough.

Outside of peak - you still need longevity. So I agree that if Malkin plays ~700 career games, and Sakic plays ~1400 career games, the gap is very wide, it's hard to argue that the first player had the better career unless there's a huge gap in performance (ie a Lemieux or Orr level player, which Malkin is nowhere near). So yes I agree that Malkin needs to add longevity to overtake Sakic all-time. I think the gap with Yzerman is wider though, so think it's much closer today.

But - outside of peak and career numbers - why is it relevant to a player's all-time ranking if the "rest" of his career is made up of 65 game seasons, or 80 game seasons? If Malkin has 12 65 game seasons vs Sakic's 10 80 game seasons - does it really matter in an all time sense? Wouldn't it be more relevant to try to ascertain who was "better" during the 800 game as a whole - thus making PPG more interesting?

I am genuinely asking. I am not 100% sure that this is the best way to look at it - but I think it's logical and makes sense. What do you think?

Going back to 1994 for Sakic. He still finished behind Robert Richel, Ray Sheppard, Dave Andreychuk and Brendan Shannahan in points. And even if the last 2 are HOF'ers they only have 2 and 1 top 10 finish ever, so hardly big threats to the scoring race. Malkin has never had seasons in which he played so bad offensively. Did he have seasons where he played very few games? Yes of course. But the ones where he played over 50% of games he was always close to the top performer on a per-game basis. Which shows he was a more consistent performer, and a "better" player on a per game basis more often.

I'm not even trying to give too much importance to one bad season. Sakic could have had the worst 1994 ever but still end up a better overall player than Malkin. So it's less about finding the one season that makes him look bad. What I am saying though is that Malkin overall was always near the top of league on a per game basis, Sakic much less so. And the gap between the 2 in that metric is too wide to be explained by "more HOF'ers in the 90s". The bar for the HHOF isn't all that big after all - the bar for being placed in the top 15 centers all time is. Both Malkin and Sakic have no reason to ever be behind certain HOF'ers in a scoring race - and certainly not regularly.

Regarding Malkin. Yes his 2011 and 2013 season look bad, the 2 you mentioned. But he did play 43 and 31 games respectively those years. They're also the only 2 times he was outside the top 10 in PPG. I figure because of small sample size, maybe give him benefit of doubt. I also didn't count partial seasons for Sakic/Yzerman in my earlier analysis in that sense.

So why wouldn't 2015 Malkin be more useful to his all-time ranking than 1994 for Sakic? In 2015 - Malkin was the 7th best forward on a "per game" basis in the league, playing 69 games. Sakic was the 30th best forward in the league on a "per game" basis in 1994, playing 84 games. I think 2015 helps Malkin's resume more than 1994 helps Sakic's resume. So I think PPG finishes can absolutely count more than even point finishes when trying to compare 2 players all-time rank. You still need other stuff to complement them - but Malkin has a lot of that other stuff too.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Jiri Hudler definitely wouldn't, Pavelski has been top 10 in scoring twice which is worse than just about everybody aside from less than a handful of players of the over 30 that beat both sakic and yzerman combined over their respective years (double counting the same players that beat both players each year). Mark Scheifele has been top 10 once so far, and while he won't this season may in the future since he is young so thats up in the air. Jakub Voracek has once before, and may this year so that makes two and might add one more realistically. Jamie Benn has 3 times, won't this season, and I'd be generous to say he could do it another 2 times if the above comparison to Iginla does come to frution as thats how many he had after his art ross win.

Comparing that to the players that beat sakic and yzerman, who were beat by 13 out of 18, and 11 out of 12 HHOF players respectively, thats pretty pungent.

Malkin got beat by Hudler and Pavelski and Voracek in 2015. But he did only play 69 games. He's ahead of all of those guys in PPG.

Sakic got beat in 1994 in the point race by Ray Sheppard, Robert Reichel and Andreychuk. He also finished behind all those guys in PPG. He also finished behind guys like Craig Janney and Wendel Clarke in PPG.

This names you brought up who beat Malkin mean absolutely nothing. In every season there are always a few highly unexpected/irregular names that have a career year/finish a bit higher than expected in a season.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Malkin got beat by Hudler and Pavelski and Voracek in 2015. But he did only play 69 games. He's ahead of all of those guys in PPG.

Sakic got beat in 1994 in the point race by Ray Sheppard, Robert Reichel and Andreychuk. He also finished behind all those guys in PPG. He also finished behind guys like Craig Janney and Wendel Clarke in PPG.

This names you brought up who beat Malkin mean absolutely nothing. In every season there are always a few highly unexpected/irregular names that have a career year/finish a bit higher than expected in a season.

PPG is very lame since season to season covers all opponents and game circumstances.PPG is selective and gives credit for results that were never attained. You are assuming results would have been the same in missed games.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
PPG is very lame since season to season covers all opponents and game circumstances.PPG is selective and gives credit for results that were never attained. You are assuming results would have been the same in missed games.

I disagree.

Basic elements of hockey. It's all about being the best when you play. All you can do.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I disagree.

Basic elements of hockey. It's all about being the best when you play. All you can do.

All about winning actually. Injury prone players eventually are attritioned out of the NHL.

Point is that a player actually has to play the games for his results to meaningful. The PPG of a player are never added to his team's result when he does not play.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Nostalgia imo.

As pointed out, almost all of those guys in 1994 are HOFers, and there are others like Roenick and Turgeon in there too. But if you want to pretend that the top end offensive talent was perfectly equal in every season, be my guest. Just don't complain if people start suggesting Russell Bowie and Bill Cowley should (still) be ahead of Malkin.

Knocking Yzerman and Sakic for consistency is a strange argument to make. Especially compared to Malkin, who bookended an Art Ross win with injury plagued 35-point seasons.

A single season where Malkin looked as "bad" as 90-point Yzerman/Sakic seasons? You really can't find one? I'd suggest every single one between 2012 and this season makes a pretty good candidate (but if you include playoffs, last year for Malkin is better). Or was Malkin helping Pittsburgh win games from the press box? Because essentially that's the argument if he's getting full credit for missed games year after year.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
All about winning actually. Injury prone players eventually are attritioned out of the NHL.

Point is that a player actually has to play the games for his results to meaningful. The PPG of a player are never added to his team's result when he does not play.

I think you guys are talking about 2 different things.

Take, for example, Crosby in '10 - '11. He played only 41 games, he scored 66 points, by far the highest PPG in the NHL that year. Many people regard his play that year as the best of his entire career. But, in the year-end scoring leaders, he was just 31st.

Obviously, he missed half the games and didn't do anything to help his team during those games. Nobody disputes that, and there is something to be said for that.

On the other hand, Crosby reached a level of play much higher than anybody else during that season, and you can't just ignore that. When you ignore PPG, that's what happens.

PPG should be reasonably considered. It's much better than ignoring it, and rating Crosby as the 31st best scorer when in fact he was the best, is not reasonable. Not when what you are doing is rating players.

It's not about being "injury prone". Lots of players who are not injury prone have missed huge chunks of seasons.

It's not true that PPG is lame. In many cases it's very useful.

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

I disagree.

I think there is a middle ground between these two points of view. There has to be a point at which you're missing so much time that you're not rated solely on ability when you play. But at the same time, I don't think you can define a player by raw results when per-game numbers over several years paint a different story. Guys like Malkin, Hasek, and Forsberg played like top-20-all-time talents for practically a decade straight each and had enough healthy years to really punctuate this, but how many times can you go missing before you're better off with a Joe Sakic, Jacques Plante, or Mark Messier - comparable players who were probably slightly worse when in the lineup but still really, really, really good and always around?

It's the same reason, I wouldn't rate Orr over Howe.

I'm not writing off the possibility of Malkin being a better player in an all-time sense as Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman, but that's really a question for 2023 to see if he breaks this trend of missed time. But at the same time, I wouldn't rate Ron Francis or Mark Recchi ahead either solely from career numbers (not that anyone else really does). Middle ground. Horses before carts and whatnot. Otherwise you're going to end up like ESPN's top-100 list in 2004 where they had Peter Forsberg as a top-20 player because he was on top of the world and after a decade of really great hockey, he sure seemed like he was going to be better than Steve Yzerman.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I think there is a middle ground between these two points of view. There has to be a point at which you're missing so much time that you're not rated solely on ability when you play. But at the same time, I don't think you can define a player by raw results when per-game numbers over several years paint a different story. Guys like Malkin, Hasek, and Forsberg played like top-20-all-time talents for practically a decade straight each and had enough healthy years to really punctuate this, but how many times can you go missing before you're better off with a Joe Sakic, Jacques Plante, or Mark Messier - comparable players who were probably slightly worse when in the lineup but still really, really, really good and always around?

I'm not writing off the possibility of Malkin being a better player in an all-time sense as Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman, but that's really a question for 2023 to see if he breaks this trend of missed time. But at the same time, I wouldn't rate Ron Francis or Mark Recchi ahead either solely from career numbers (not that anyone else really does). Middle ground. Horses before carts and whatnot. Otherwise you're going to end up like ESPN's top-100 list in 2004 where they had Peter Forsberg as a top-20 player because he was on top of the world and after a decade of really great hockey, he sure seemed like he was going to be better than Steve Yzerman.
A well thought-out post. I would also add that there is more to life than offensive numbers, and that offensive superstars who sacrificed those numbers and ended up becoming legendary two-way players BECAUSE IT BENEFITTED THEIR TEAMS should be ranked higher than their offensive numbers indicate. In other words, Malkin's job is cut out for him.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Missed time in various forms, be it snaps, games started or games and related variations is a key NFL stat.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Like that was even close to what I was asking or inferring.

It should be obvious that Wayne and Mario influenced Yzerman and Sakic Art Ross finishes. Feel free to remove them for comparison purposes but that's it.

So you really think that prime versions of Yzerman and Sakic would have the same difficult time fighting off Voracek, Benn, Pavelski, Wheeler and the like for top 10 scoring placements as they did prime versions of Messier, Hull, Oates, Jagr, Lindros, Selanne, Fedorov, Roenick, etc? Well alright, but I hope you're consistent in your approach to the scoring leaderboard. Somebody like Bill Cowley should also be knocking on the Yzerman/Sakic door with Malkin if we stick to this methodology.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Guys like Malkin, Hasek, and Forsberg played like top-20-all-time talents for practically a decade straight each and had enough healthy years to really punctuate this, but how many times can you go missing before you're better off with a Joe Sakic, Jacques Plante, or Mark Messier - comparable players who were probably slightly worse when in the lineup but still really, really, really good and always around?

The problem here is that some people are using different criteria to rank players than other people.

To acknowledge that Malkin and Forsberg were better players (when in the lineup) than "slightly worse" Sakic and Messier, points to the problem.

If I thought Malkin and Forsberg were better than Sakic and Messier, then I would rank the former two ahead of the latter two. Why wouldn't I?

It's not as if Malkin and Forsberg only played a few games. They played lots. They certainly played enough to judge what they can do. But to watch Malkin and Forsberg, judge them to be better than the "slightly worse" Sakic and Messier, and then rank Sakic and Messier ahead, seems nonsensical to me.

What is the purpose of ranking players this way?

People who are ranking this way should clearly state that they aren't actually ranking the "best" hockey players.

tarheelhockey

Offside Review Specialist
Feb 12, 2010
Bojangles Parking Lot
The problem here is that some people are using different criteria to rank players than other people.

To acknowledge that Malkin and Forsberg were better players (when in the lineup) than "slightly worse" Sakic and Messier, points to the problem.

If I thought Malkin and Forsberg were better than Sakic and Messier, then I would rank the former two ahead of the latter two. Why wouldn't I?

It's not as if Malkin and Forsberg only played a few games. They played lots. They certainly played enough to judge what they can do. But to watch Malkin and Forsberg, judge them to be better than the "slightly worse" Sakic and Messier, and then rank Sakic and Messier ahead, seems nonsensical to me.

What is the purpose of ranking players this way?

I think Eric Lindros was better than Malkin. Should I rank him higher than Malkin, who has obviously achieved far more, based on a fantasy of what Lindros might have achieved if the circumstances had suited him better?

People who are ranking this way should clearly state that they aren't actually ranking the "best" hockey players.

The project is called "top" centers, not "best" centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad