Players ranked 2nd lowest on this list
Howie Morenz at 8
Joe Sakic at 14 (tied with 2 others)
Steve Yzerman at 15 (tied with 1 other)
Peter Forsberg at 33
Mats Sundin at 65

Round 2 voting

Round | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | none
1 | Gretzky | Lemieux | Beliveau | Mikita | Morenz | Clarke | Messier | Esposito | Trottier
2 | Mikita | Clarke | Messier | Esposito | Nighbor | Trottier | Taylor | Lalonde | Sakic, Yzerman
3 | Esposito | Trottier | Taylor | Lalonde | Sakic | Schmidt | Yzerman | Dionne | Apps
4 | Lalonde | Schmidt | Yzerman | Dionne | Apps | Malone | Boucher | Richard | Forsberg
5 | Schmidt | Richard | Malone | Dionne | Kennedy | Bentley | Forsberg | Fedorov | Crosby
6 | Malone | Kennedy | Lach | Stastny | Cowley | Bentley | Keon | Fedorov | Abel, Crosby, Stewart, Ullman
7 | Francis | Lach | Stastny | Cowley | Bentley | Keon | Fedorov | Ullman | Abel, Delvecchio, Stewart
8 | Francis | Keon | Abel | Stastny | Perreault | Stewart | Fedorov | Gilmour | Delvecchio, Lindros, Oates
9 | Francis | Gilmour | Stastny | Delvecchio | Perreault | Lindros | Oates | Thornton | Hawerchuk, Malkin, Maltsev
10 | Smith | Bowie | Delvecchio | Lindros | Perreault | Ratelle | Larionov | Oates | Datsyuk, Hawerchuk, Malkin
11 | Smith | Bowie | Perreault | Ratelle | Modano | Larionov | Savard | Hawerchuk | Datsyuk, MacKay, Malkin, Petrov
12 | Modano | Barry | Ratelle | Larionov | Savard | Hawerchuk | Petrov | MacKay | Fredrickson, Primeau, Sittler, Sundin
13 | Larionov | Savard | Sittler | Nedomansky | Petrov | Primeau | MacKay | Zetterberg | Fredrickson, Keats, Lafontaine, Lemaire, Sundin
14 | McGee | Nedomansky | Sittler | Primeau | Zetterberg | Sundin | Fredrickson | Foyston | Dunderdale, Keats, Lafontaine, Lemaire, Morris, Sedin
15 | McGee | Lemaire | Foyston | Keats | Primeau | Lafontaine | Brind'Amour | Carbonneau | Colville, Dunderdale, Federko, Morris, Nieuwendyk, Novy, Roenick, Sedin, Starshinov, Stamkos, Turgeon
16 | Foyston | Primeau | Colville | Roenick | Lafontaine | Sedin | | |

Highest vote
Round 7: Francis 1st
Round 8: Francis 1st
Round 9: Francis 1st
Round 10: Smith 1st
Round 14: McGee 1st
Round 15: McGee 1st

Lowest vote
Round 2: Sakic NR

Last edited:

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
24 | Ron Francis

Highest vote
Round 7: Francis 1st
Round 8: Francis 1st
Round 9: Francis 1st

YouDontSayBlackWithTextSS.png

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Heh. Mad sure wasn't shy about voting players he likes 1st in Round 2.

His round 1 list was solid enough - with the exception of obvious mistakes with Morenz and Cowley that he corrected in Round 2 - Mad does seem to prefer players he hasn't seen over players he has seen (with the exception of Francis and I guess a fairly high vote for Brind'amour) - but nothing too out there.

Mad also had the lowest ranking for Sedin (77th) of anyone who had him on his list, but 2 guys left Sedin off entirely.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Heh. Mad sure wasn't shy about voting players he likes 1st in Round 2.

His round 1 list was solid enough - with the exception of obvious mistakes with Morenz and Cowley that he corrected in Round 2 - Mad does seem to prefer players he hasn't seen over players he has seen (with the exception of Francis and I guess a fairly high vote for Brind'amour) - but nothing too out there.

Mad also had the lowest ranking for Sedin (77th) of anyone who had him on his list, but 2 guys left Sedin off entirely.

I wouldn't call them mistakes.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
The obvious was his treatment of Crosby, Malkin, Sundin and heck even Sedin and Stamkos in contrast to guys like McGee,Smith and Franics and Primeau.

No idea on what type of metric was being used there but he didn't count Crosby's seasons right during the discussion so maybe it was just a colossal mistake?

Pretty solid list overall despite some suspect voting patterns.

Last edited:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
The obvious was his treatment of Crosby, Malkin, Sundin and heck even Sedin and Stamkos in contrast to guys like McGee,Smith and Franics and Primeau.

No idea on what type of metric was being used there but he didn't count Crosby's seasons right during the discussion so maybe it was just a colossal mistake?

Pretty solid list overall despite some suspect voting patterns.
I place more emphasis on defensive play than most.

I also made no mistake with Crosby, he's just unimpressive (just look at the last Olympics) compared to the preceding generation of centers, and I've seen his whole career.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I also made no mistake with Crosby, he's just unimpressive (just look at the last Olympics) compared to the preceding generation of centers, and I've seen his whole career.

And yet you were the 2nd lowest vote for Yzerman, Sakic (tied), and Forsberg

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
And just how great of a spread of placements for Sakic and Yzerman are we talking of in the whole project? I doubt it's more than say 5 spots.

Forsberg has a whole set of problems that take down his value.

You're forgetting the Edler's list, where he had Yzerman 20th and Sakic 21st. Other than that list, everyone had Sakic between 7th and 14th. Someone we haven't seen yet had Yzerman in 5th. Other than him and Edler, everyone had Yzerman between 9 and 15. So you're mostly right about them having a narrow spread, though it is a bit larger than 5 points.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Well sid was actually pretty good in the last Olmpics so maybe that's part of the problem eh?

Also how are Cowley and Perreault ahead of Feds in 2 consecutive rounds then?
emphasis is fine but consistency is better.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well sid was actually pretty good in the last Olmpics so maybe that's part of the problem eh?

Cowley ahead of Fedorov shouldn't exactly come as a surprise in any voting record...

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Not sure if serious. 1 G & 2 A in 6 games is good for offense-only supposed legend?

I have heavily underrated Cowley in round 1 due to the war years. I rectified it in round 2. I don't see why it would be oh-so unusual.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Modano vs. Crosby: At some point there needs to be some common sense, watching the player and following the NHL applied in my opinion...

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Triple longevity and infinitely better defensively. Crosby offensively dominating a very weak competition doesn't close the gap.

I don't think this is weak competition. There might not be many outliers, but that speaks to the fact that defensive play all around has been elevated to the point where becoming a statistical outlier is significantly more difficult. I think that makes Crosby's dominance far more impressive.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I don't think this is weak competition. There might not be many outliers, but that speaks to the fact that defensive play all around has been elevated to the point where becoming a statistical outlier is significantly more difficult. I think that makes Crosby's dominance far more impressive.
You might be onto something with the defensiveness, but I still don't like the offensive talent pool when compared to the 90s. But to each his own.

unknown33 said:
Modano vs. Crosby: At some point there needs to be some common sense, watching the player and following the NHL applied in my opinion...
Watched both throughout their careers. Doesn't change anything at who I value higher as of right now. And frankly, Crosby isn't world-shattering talented. Thrown into the 90s, I doubt he'd look that great compared to say Fedorov, Sakic or Forsberg. Competing against the likes of Malkin or Stamkos makes you seem better when compared to guys who faced Wayne or Mario.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I don't think it's irrational. Preferring a player who is greatly superior defensively, a better skater and who played for thrice as long over Crosby is not the heresy you'd like to paint it as.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Compared to the final ranking gained/lost spots

Eric Lindros +3
Peter Forsberg -13
Sidney Crosby -23

How does that happen with your criteria. :huh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

While I think you are ultimately right (current competition isn't as bad as Mad makes it to be), this is one of the biggest problem when ranking active players.

Their legacy isn't over, and their "competition assessment" is certainly not established either.

In 15 years, Malkin might be seen as an extremely weak Art Ross winner. For whatever reason.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
About my initial logic when ranking Forsberg/Lindros...

- both made of glass, both because of their own playstyle
- Forsberg significantly better playmaker & better defensively, Lindros significantly better goalscorer & more physical
- both dominant impact players at their peaks

They seemed very close to me, and I ranked them as such. I still don't see why there should be such a huge gap between them, TBH.

Crosby is a different animal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->