Hockey's Future's Top 50 Prospects: 26-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
My thoughts... I didn't read the whole thread, so I appologize in advance if these issues have been brought up already...

-Fantastic list! Of course, I don't agree with all the rankings, but nobody will... as we've all seen these players in different games and will thus have different opinions of them.

-As a business owner, I think the most important (and oft ignored) aspect of running a business is to never annoy the customer (or viewer). If the top 50 list is done, I think it makes the most sense to just post it all at once... surely for those who would like to forward the link to friends, they would want it all up at once. I could be mistaken, but I think it may be a poor decision.

-I was curious to see if Alexander Radulov would make the list... but seeing as how he's not between 26 and 50, I'm rather doubtul that he's on it yet... there's always next year.

-Once again... superb job... can't wait to see the rest.

-Edit: Forgot to mention: I would disagree with the argument that Schremp is the most skilled in the draft year after Ovechkin, as from my viewings, Malkin would take that prize rather easily.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Leafaholix said:
Well, you're views on anything related to the Maple Leafs are taken with a grain of salt. The point isn't that Steen should be higher, because if he's at #36, there should be a hell of a lot of great prospects on the list ahead of him... and Ryan Kesler isn't great.

And if there was 35 prospects better than Steen, I'd be very excited about the future of the game and I'd look forward... but the fact is that we have sure-fire NHL players with 2nd line upside over sure-fire NHL players with top line upside.

I can think of 40 off the top of my head who are either on the same level or better. (In no particular order)
Ovechkin
Malkin
Phaneuf
Lehtonen
Suter

Horton
Staal
Toivanen
Coburn
Parise

Carter
Vanek
Michalek
Getzlaf
Barker

Montoya
Fleury
Tukonen
Grigorenko
Spezza

Hemsky
Eminger
Thelen
Emery
Miller

Fehr
Upshall
Lupul
Ward
Ballard

Svitov
Bouchard
Chistov
Tjutin
Ladd

Whitney
Hemsky
Zherdev
Olesz
Schwartz

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Leave Bouchard out of that. I don't think he's at the level Steen is at. He has had some rough outings

se7en*

Jovanovski = Norris said:
I didn't mean to be rude but I am a stickl'er to facts and reality. Maybe Schremp has phenomal skillsets and will dominate the NHL but the fact that 24 NHL General Managers and the Team USA selection committee all passed on him shows something. They've experienced hockey all their lives and knows every nuance of what it takes to be a good hockey player. Top 60 for a player pick 24th overall in comparison to hundreds of prospects drafted over the past couple of years - it isn't too low to be honest.

Fair enough - thanks for explaining your reasoning. I don't think he has phenomenal skills or will dominate the NHL - and you'll have a hard time finding an Oilers fan who does - but I really do think he's NHL-material and based on what I've seen/read, can be compared to Weight. But he addresses our most pressing need (a #1 centre) so I hope he lives up to his potential and 'proves them all wrong' like he says he will.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
There was a reason why 24 players were picked before him in the draft and a reason why he has yet to be named onto Team USA. Unless those scouts GMs and scouts were and still are wrong......
This argument has absolutely no validity and having just skimmed through these 5 pages, it seems your very confident that it does. Team USA's job is not to put together a team of the best NHL prospects under the age of 19. This point is moot, unless you beleive Ryan Callahan is a better NHL prospect than Robbie Schremp (do you?).

McDonald19 said:
Honestly who do you want in your organization Grigorenko or Getzlaf?
I'm a died-in-the-wool Red Wings fan and I agree with you, it's gotta be Getzlaf!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Disco Volante said:
I always appreciate the effort and HF's stuff is always a good read, but man, Miller going from #9 to #41 makes you wonder about those lists' worth (now was it the last list that was completely guessed ******** or this one?) ;)

Ryan Miller was never that hot. It's just that somehow a lot of people bought into THN's hype.

I don't really like lists that fluctuate a lot but you have to admit, that's how it works up to a certain point.

Wes O'Neill was pimped as a potential high first rounder, had ONE crappy year, ended up in the 4th round. Maybe 80 spots away from where he was projected to go. Now he's having an excellent season start and I bet he's already moving up the Isles prospect depth chart. Evan McGrath is doing the same thing. Ditto for Pineault.

The season is just beginning and people are already moving up and down, IMO. So 1 year is enough for guys to move a lot. I see the utility of those lists as some sort of monitoring of players progress much more than a definitive assessment of what kind of careers they will have. They will continue to move up and down like that.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Quote:
34. Alexander Steen, Center, Toronto Maple Leafs

The son of former Winnipeg Blues star Thomas Steen, Alexander has progressed nicely since being drafted in first round by the Toronto Maple Leafs back in 2002. Although the Swedish developmental system is struggling at the moment, Steen has done very well to establish himself as a productive player in the Swedish Elite League. A talented, often flashy player, Steen is also a strong defensive player who has been praised for his leadership. He may be ready to come over to North America when the lockout is over, but for now, he’ll continue to play a significant role for his club team in Frolunda.

Chaos said:
Just thought I'd point out he doesn't play for Frolunda anymore.....kind of helps if you know what team he plays for, no? And Im not even gonna worry about the fact that there aren't any Stars there(and I can't imagine HF putting any in the top 25), because quite frankly, I kind of figured it would turn out that way. Just wonder where Kesler and King will end up ;)

Not only that...who the heck are the Winnipeg Blues?

leafaholix*

I can think of 40 off the top of my head who are either on the same level or better. (In no particular order)
Ovechkin
Malkin
Phaneuf
Lehtonen
Suter

Horton
Staal
Toivanen
Coburn
Parise

Carter
Vanek
Michalek
Getzlaf
Barker

Montoya
Fleury
Tukonen
Grigorenko
Spezza

Hemsky
Eminger
Thelen
Emery
Miller

Fehr
Upshall
Lupul
Ward
Ballard

Svitov
Bouchard
Chistov
Tjutin
Ladd

Whitney
Hemsky
Zherdev
Olesz
Schwartz
And where would you place Kesler?

Because the point isn't that Steen should be in the top 20, be it deserving or not, but to have a guy like Ryan Kesler ahead of him is a disgrace to any top prospects list. If Steen was a "risky" prospect, I could see a arguable reason, but not when he's touted as a sure-fire NHL player.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal

I think some of your players aren't considered prospects by HF standards anymore.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Leafaholix said:

Because the point isn't that Steen should be in the top 20, be it deserving or not, but to have a guy like Ryan Kesler ahead of him is a disgrace to any top prospects list. If Steen was a "risky" prospect, I could see a arguable reason, but not when he's touted as a sure-fire NHL player.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, its likely - more than likely - that King isn't even on the list.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Leafaholix said:

You've talked about Kesler for a while but do you know for sure he is in the top 25?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Disco Volante said:
I always appreciate the effort and HF's stuff is always a good read, but man, Miller going from #9 to #41 makes you wonder about those lists' worth (now was it the last list that was completely guessed ******** or this one?) ;)

I'd wonder more if they had played it safe and ranked Miller in the #15-20 range when he clearly earned a major demotion based on his play last season. Although his AHL numbers were good they don't reflect his lack of consistancy. He's off to the same kind of start this season.

PK*

Nice to see Higgins in there, but I thought Chipchura would crack the top 50, but he's probably too young. I guess the Habs are gonna have two prospects in the top 25 with Kostsitsyn and Perezhogin.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Chipper, believe it or not, by the consistancy of the HF crew could wind up in the top 25...but most likely not.

leafaholix*

Jay Thompson said:
Won't he be surprised when the top 25 comes out? :joker:
If he's not on the top 25 list, I'd like to know what role you played in last years top 50 list. Because if Kesler was a top 20 prospect last year, he surely wouldn't fall out of the top 50 in 2004... atleast not if you were on the committee.

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Leafs, other than Steen and Coala, who else do you think the Leafs will be in the top 50?
Nobody, I don't think any other Leaf would make the top 75.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
If he's not on the top 25 list, I'd like to know what role you played in last years top 50 list. Because if Kesler was a top 20 prospect last year, he surely wouldn't fall out of the top 50 in 2004... atleast not if you were on the committee.

I was not on either committee.

Not everything is a conspiracy, Leafaholix.

leafaholix*

Jay Thompson said:
I was not on either committee.

Not everything is a conspiracy, Leafaholix.
Alright, then if Kesler isn't in the top 25, it's basically the committee, or whomever is in charge admitting last years rank of Ryan was way off and a total mistake.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
All rightie ;)...

Toivonen, Lehtonen, Bryzgalov and Fleury are the goaltenders I know will be in the top 25...Ward? Montoya? Leclaire? Liv/Howard? Danis? Levenue? Ahonen? Oulette? Okay...wow...JDD is better than some of those goalies? I can see Danis, Liv/Howard, and maybe Montoya but the others? Wow...

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Alright, then if Kesler isn't in the top 25, it's basically the committee, or whomever is in charge admitting last years rank of Ryan was way off and a total mistake.

Either that or they made a big mistake leaving him off this year.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is it's a different group with different opinions. Or that perhaps Kesler didn't improve from last year as they expected him to, and others did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->