Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Spring 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

Naru said:
I think my Ducks guys (we've got the joint second most with three) will be Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan. All in the top 25 I may add. Again there is no love for Smid...
If Smid didn't make it, how was he not even on the 'barely missed the cut' list?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Keith Ballard not on that list but guys like Staal, Bourdon and Voloshenko are??

Makes absolutely no sense.

Also Ray Emery on that list is a huge :dunno:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
HemskyFreak83 said:
I can only guess Robbie Schremp is in the top 25, hopefully top 15 but i doubt it

If Schremp is in the top 25, HF again is bashing Wild prospects...like they do with the Blues prospects...

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
DoobieDoobieDo said:
If Schremp is in the top 25, HF again is bashing Wild prospects...like they do with the Blues prospects...

yes everyone on HF is against the Wild prospects :sarcasm: , since one prospect (with a lot of talent and potential) is in the top 25 even with Patrick O'Sullivan in the top 30 and Roman Voloshenko in the top 50 and having Harding, Koivu, and Pouliot just missing the cut, is really bashing the Wild

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
Mildly disappointed neither Rask nor Pogge made it, but I figured them to be in tight and they were on the "just missed the cut" list.

Toronto apparently has a prospect in the top 50, and there is no one listed 26-50 so it must be in the top 25 which leaves me completely baffled.

Colaiacovo? He has to have dropped off the list. A decent prospect still, but his top player status should be long gone.

Williams? Nice player, but no where near a top 50 prospect.

Earl? Intriguing and I like his upside and love his skating, but there are many players with comparable if not better upsides that are infinitely 'safer' prospects.

Steen? The obvious choice and whilst I like him and he's having a fine rookie season... I just can't see how he deserves to be on the top 25 when players like Kronwall, Brule, Seabrook and Olesz all narrowly missed being top 25. I find them considerably more appealing then Steen.

I can't see it being anyone but Steen, and I similarly have a very difficult time seeing him as deserved of the apparently extremely high regard HF's editors hold him in.

Not that I should complain, and it's admittedly odd to argue that one's favored teams prospects are overrated (especially one the aforementioned team is the typically much despised Leafs) but.... Steen as top 25 seems a stretch. To 50, absolutely.

SickMonkey

Apr 13, 2005
Ottawa
Good read HF, as always.

I do have one criticism though, and just to be different, it won't be because my favorite prospect isn't on it. (Though I guess Rocky Thompson is getting a little aged... ;) )

Just wanted to point out that the usage of the word 'dearth' is wrong. It means the exact opposite of what was intended. Dictionary reference here...

Normally I wouldn't point out something this nitpicky, but it's not the first time I've seen this mistake made here. Just doing my part for Hockey's Future to improve their already excellent writing... ;)

And back to our regularly scheduled whine-fest....

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
clefty said:
Ryan Whitney drops again for some reason. Unless he's in the top 25, which I doubt.

I think Whitney may have actually made it. It says the Penguins have three players on the list, and lists Fleury ineligible at the bottom. He's likely to be the third, after Crosby and Malkin.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'd say it's incredible that neither Oshie nor Schwarz made the top 50 seeing as how they were 33 and 34 in THN's Future Watch, but I realize Crosby, Ovechkin, Lundqvist, and so on will show up in 1-25.

But for neither player to even show up on the "just missed the cut" list, ..... :thumbd:

predz

Oct 8, 2004
Longueuil
I'm really surprise that Semin will crack the top 25. I would have tought he'd be out of the top 50...

Mr.Brownov*

predz said:
I'm really surprise that Semin will crack the top 25. I would have tought he'd be out of the top 50...
Why would you think that? Because he didn't play for Washington this year? He has so much talent it won't be funny when him and Ovy are paired together(maybe).

predz

Oct 8, 2004
Longueuil
Jim Beam said:
Why would you think that? Because he didn't play for Washington this year? He has so much talent it won't be funny when him and Ovy are paired together(maybe).

I think he deserve to be there, but I tought he would't be in regard of his poor production in the RSL.

Mr.Brownov*

predz said:
I think he deserve to be there, but I tought he would't be in regard of his poor production in the RSL.
Yes I will agree with you there. But I don't think they base their rating on half of a RSL season. Like I stated before, high upside and much talent.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Does the fact Ballard isn't on the list help out Barnett when it comes time to re-sign him? :sarcasm:

That would be the only positive thing I could take from the snub. Not too many guys ahead of him I'd trade for straight up.

c_robio19

Feb 3, 2006
So this leaves...(In no order)

Ovechkin,Crosby,Phaneuf,Svatos,Prucha,Lundqvist,Parise,Toivonen,Schremp,J.Johnson,Ward,Meszaros,Eaves,Vanek,Carter,Richards,Steen,Lehtonen,Semin,Malkin,Whitney,Suter,Getzlaf,Perry,Ryan

Only 5 non NHLers

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Let me get this right: HF dropped Cam Barker from 11th (in HF Top 50's last update from August 2005) to 30th (HF Top 50-Winter 2006)? Actually,I thought his play improved this year--he looked very good at the WJHC too.. Seabrook you moved UP (from 39 to 26) I guess because he did better than you expected at the NHL level. So this means Barker dropped 32 positions in "relative" ranking to Seabrook over that time...SOMEHOW THIS SEEMS A BIT LUDICROUS!

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I was unhappy to see no love for Rask/Pogge in the top 50 (I know they were "close").

As far as I'm concerned, Rask and Pogge have proven more than Price at this point, and Price got his spot based solely on his draft placement. At worst Rask/Pogge/Price should all be lumped together in placement.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
With the recent good drafts ('01, '03 and '05), I wish we had a top 100 instead of a top 50.....

Particularly since a lot of the names in this list are already in the NHL......

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
c_robio19 said:
So this leaves...(In no order)

Ovechkin,Crosby,Phaneuf,Svatos,Prucha,Lundqvist,Parise,Toivonen,Schremp,J.Johnson,Ward,Meszaros,Eaves,Vanek,Carter,Richards,Steen,Lehtonen,Semin,Malkin,Whitney,Suter,Getzlaf,Perry,Ryan

Only 5 non NHLers

A lot of players are near having 65 games in the NHL...... HF should have wait or removed them from the list......

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Irish Blues said:
I'd say it's incredible that neither Oshie nor Schwarz made the top 50 seeing as how they were 33 and 34 in THN's Future Watch, but I realize Crosby, Ovechkin, Lundqvist, and so on will show up in 1-25.

But for neither player to even show up on the "just missed the cut" list, ..... :thumbd:

unless of course oshie made the top 25 list...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
HemskyFreak83 said:
yes everyone on HF is against the Wild prospects :sarcasm: , since one prospect (with a lot of talent and potential) is in the top 25 even with Patrick O'Sullivan in the top 30 and Roman Voloshenko in the top 50 and having Harding, Koivu, and Pouliot just missing the cut, is really bashing the Wild

I question why Schremp is in the top 25. O'Sullivan has succeeded in the AHL right now. If it is potential, then Pouliot should be on there. If it's about production, O'Sullivan should be higher.

This happened last year with JDD and Harding. Harding just barely missed the cut and JDD got on there. Where is JDD now and where is Harding now?

I want to know if it based on production or potential?

I also highlighted this area because Pouliot is the same way, potential and a lot of talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->