Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2006: 1-10

Mr_Jones*

Whats with you dissing Getzlaf?? A guy who will turn out to be a 90 point forward, and center a line of Perry and probably Penner. Either you dont watch hockey or just jealous you had someone like that on your team.
getzlaugh
getzlaugh
getzlaugh
getzlaugh
GETZLAUGH
GETZLAUGH
GETZLAUGH
GETZLAUGH
GETZLAUGH
GETZLAUGH
GETZLAUGH

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
It seems to me that HF needs to use more judgement with regards to classification of prospects. Guidelines such as games play/age are fine, but when common sense dictates than HF should not follow them to a tee.

For instance, Cam Ward is still a prospect, but Brent Krahn no longer is (and to be clear I'm not suggesting he should be anywhere near the top 50 - just using him as an example for this discussion).

Apparently Krahn is not on the FLames list because of his age, but clearly he's not an NHL player yet, nor is he a bust. So why take him off the list.

Follow the guidelines when it makes to do so, but depart from them when common sense dictates.

Emerald

Apr 15, 2006
Northern Ontario
Well, at the WJC, Bourdon was named defenseman of the tournament, Staal was named to the all-tournament team, and Brian Lee won the none of the above award.

Actually, Staal was named tournament top defenceman, and Bourdon was named to the First Team Allstars.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
What the heck is Semin doing that high?

He was absolute garbage in Russia last year by most accounts, and has character problems written all over him. To have him ahead of guys who were top-5 picks in the most recent draft is ridiculous and reflects poorly on the credibility of an otherwise-solid list.

I probably wouldn't have him top-25, and can see several guys who didn't even make the list (Penner, Green, Pouliot) whom I'd take over him without thinking twice.

Bad season in the RSL? Getting bounced around between two teams, and probably having a tweak here or there he really didn't put up poor numbers. He did fine in the tournament he played in, and has looked VERY good in camp.

How many games have you seen him play in? Honestly... 2? 3? There were times at the end of the season he played here where Caps fans felt he was probably the best prospect to play for the Caps since Peter Bondra. A lot of people who have seen him say he has clear first line talent, potentially all star talent.

As for the whole "character" problems, where did you read/learn this? Caps players (Witt especially) have come out on record saying he was a pretty good kid, who just had trouble learning the language. But that's ok, just pile on someone you've seen little if any of. In 5-6 weeks when he displays the talent that still exists will you still be around?

For the Backstrom comments that are being said, that's fine I guess. I mean, it would hard to disagree with where some reports have had him anywhere from close to a Zetterberg or a Forsberg, and then the other end of the spectrum as being a solid two way prospect.

Either way, these lists all are just really relative to who likes who, and a crap shoot. Beyond Malkin and a few other, there is no telling who will be good and who will get a cup of coffee and disappear.

Randall Graves*

Getzlaf is way too high.
You obviously did not watch him much last year, he dominated the AHL, when he returned he came back and averaged a PPG. He can play physical, he's defensively responsible. In other words he's a 2 way player that can score 90 points every year I wouldn't have a problem with Brule ahead of him, or Ward, but I would rate him ahead of Jack Johnson.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but is Lehtonen really the #2 prospect in hockey right now?

I wouldn't even rate him a prospect anymore, because he established himself last year already. He's going to be excellent franchise goaltender for Atlanta Thrashers, if he just stays healthy!

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I think that HF should change the criteria for what they consider for prospects. Some of the players on the lists really don't make any sense given how much NHL experience they have.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
I know I'm a homer, but Schneider not even an honourable mention? I think he's a better prospect than Bourdon myself, who is a little too high on this list.

Schneider>>>>>Schwarz, at the very least.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You obviously did not watch him much last year, he dominated the AHL, when he returned he came back and averaged a PPG. He can play physical, he's defensively responsible. In other words he's a 2 way player that can score 90 points every year I wouldn't have a problem with Brule ahead of him, or Ward, but I would rate him ahead of Jack Johnson.

Clearly, you haven't watched very much of Jack Johnson. Honestly, I don't consider Getzlaf a top ten prospect.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You obviously did not watch him much last year, he dominated the AHL, when he returned he came back and averaged a PPG. He can play physical, he's defensively responsible. In other words he's a 2 way player that can score 90 points every year I wouldn't have a problem with Brule ahead of him, or Ward, but I would rate him ahead of Jack Johnson.[/QUOTE]

Clearly, you haven't watched very much of Jack Johnson. Honestly, I don't consider Getzlaf a top ten prospect.

You will after the 8 games we play against you this year...:teach:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
1-50

Rk Player.... P Tem
01 Malkin.... C PIT
02 Lehtonen.. G ATL
03 EJohnson.. D STL
04 JJohnson.. D CAR
05 Getzlaf... C ANH
06 Brule..... C CLB
07 Ward...... G CAR
08 Semin..... L WAS
09 O'Sullivan L LOS
10 Backstrom. C WAS
11 Barker.... D CHI
12 Wolski.... L COL
13 Ryan...... R ANH
14 Kopitar... C LOS
15 Kessel.... C BOS
16 Toivonen.. G BOS
17 Schremp... C EDM
18 Staal..... C PIT
19 Toews..... C CHI
20 Radulov... R NAS
21 Staal..... D NYR
22 Carle..... D SAN
23 Bourdon... D VAN
24 Weber..... D NAS
25 Leclaire.. G CLB
26 Rask...... G BOS
27 Bernier... R SAN
28 Ladd...... L CAR
29 Montoya... G NYR
30 Perry..... R ANH
31 Smid...... D EDM
32 Nilsson... L NYI
33 Coburn.... D ATL
34 Olesz..... C FLA
35 Harding... G MIN
36 Brassard.. C CLB
37 Bergfors.. R NJD
38 Eaves..... R OTT
39 Pogge..... G TOR
40 Tukonen... R LOS
41 Mueller... C PHO
42 Voloshenko L MIN
43 Kostitsyn. R MON
44 Grigorenko R DET
45 Oshie..... C DTL
46 Frolik.... C FLA
47 Price..... G MON
48 Fehr...... R WAS
49 Filppula.. C DET
50 Okposo.... R NYI

Last edited:

AL-Canadian

Nov 7, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Another Dman that probably should of received HM props would be Ryan Parent. Didn't he handle Malkin fairly well last year in the WJCs? A great skater and some say a Rod Langway type blueliner.

Also - until the criterion change, the folks here did a good job overall (especially in the top 10). If it should change to eliminate the Lethonens, Wards, Getzlafs and Perrys, then folks can seriously complain. As of now, its pretty solid on the top 10.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
seriously..brian lee should have been between 25-50 but for eriksson and green to get HM and not lee is a crime against nature...at least malkin was put number 1.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Backstrom was drafted before Kessel. If anything Jordan Staal and Toews are low, IMO.

Maybe they felt, like others on here, that Kessel should've went #2?

Kessel will have a better career than Toews and Staal. Bank on it. Backstrom will be his only rival out of that group.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just to add something else:

I still can't believe that Nigel Dawes and Brandon Dubinsky have been completely overlooked the last few years. Especially after their last seasons. Dubinsky looks to be the REAL DEAL. Same with Dawes.

If they don't play the set amount of games to disqualify them, I'd expect them to be on next year's version of the top 50.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
Why would you want to introduce MORE subjectivity into these lists?

Because clearly the current criteria allows players that are not prospects to be included in these lists.

The introduction of some common sense would not cause any more significant disagreement. Really, I would think most posters would agree that fellers like Getzlaf, Ward and Perry are no longer prospects.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
lol, he isnt a top 50 prospect. His ceiling is like 40 goals, but he wont be much of a playmaker and isnt going to be a player who can score without a good center.

You do realize that over half of the forwards listed in this top-50 will probably never have a 40 goal season, right?

Last edited:

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Wow, what a bunch of whiners.

I agree: it's just a list, and has history showed it to us, the HF lists are far from being always right (as anyone's list by the way).

It's not easy to compare each player. My list wouldn't look like this one, but I don't care. For instance, I feel Olesz will be a much more better player than the ranking he is now at, as I expect Ward to have a hard time to bring back to the table what he brought during the last playoffs (Grahame better be ready).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad