Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2006: 1-10

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
no Pouliot or Setoguchi in the top 50 at all. But Ward and Lehtonen still being eligible messes things up a bit.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
what? No Toews?
He was #19.

Best of the rest
Loui Eriksson
Mike Green
Jimmy Howard
Dustin Penner
Benoit Pouliot
Marek Schwarz
Devin Setoguchi
James Sheppard
Jeff Tambellini
Jiri Tlusty
Marek Zagrapan
I'm a Blues fan, and Schwarz has no business being on this list. None - not at this point in time, not after the last year and his poor showing at the Blues training camp for rookies, the rookie tournament in Traverse City, and by most accounts his play at the main training camp.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
He was #19.

I'm a Blues fan, and Schwarz has no business being on this list. None - not at this point in time, not after the last year and his poor showing at the Blues training camp for rookies, the rookie tournament in Traverse City, and by most accounts his play at the main training camp.

Yeah, he hasn't developed as hoped so far. Suprised Brian Lee wasn't even mentioned. He is just as good a prospect as Bourdon, Staal and Barker.

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
Even though I am a Bruins fan, I thought that Latendresse would at least make the top 50. Maybe he really is overhyped.

Personnally I think he is a player. Not sure what happened here.

Que the Hab riots.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What the heck is Semin doing that high?

He was absolute garbage in Russia last year by most accounts, and has character problems written all over him. To have him ahead of guys who were top-5 picks in the most recent draft is ridiculous and reflects poorly on the credibility of an otherwise-solid list.

I probably wouldn't have him top-25, and can see several guys who didn't even make the list (Penner, Green, Pouliot) whom I'd take over him without thinking twice.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Hmmm no Pouliot, Youd think he can at least crack the top 50 list, seems to me hes being based on his play in the OHL regular season, yet when it seems to count hes done pretty good, he had a good playoffs last year..was good in the WJC, was good in training camp last year and from what Ive heard good in this years training camp, all this and we hear he still has tons of untapped potential,..i dont blame people for not being too high on him and can understand why some would label him as a possible bust, but surely hes done enough things to make the top 50... just my two cents worth.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Wow, Brian Lee doesn't even get an honourable mention...

Remind me again what Staal and Bourdon have done so far to be considered such better prospects, besides play in Canada of course?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
HF's own prospect criteria: "if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL"

Cam Ward has played in 51 NHL games: 28 regular season and 23 playoffs. He should no longer be considered a prospect and should not be on the list. Even if you only consider games started, it's 25 and 21, still greater than the prospect limit.

Am I missing something here?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
What the heck is Semin doing that high?

He was absolute garbage in Russia last year by most accounts, and has character problems written all over him. To have him ahead of guys who were top-5 picks in the most recent draft is ridiculous and reflects poorly on the credibility of an otherwise-solid list.

I probably wouldn't have him top-25, and can see several guys who didn't even make the list (Penner, Green, Pouliot) whom I'd take over him without thinking twice.

FWIW, he's been tearing it up at the Caps' training camp/scrimmages, and has been the best player there (Ovechkin included). He's also proven he can produce in the NHL, unlike most of the prospects ranked. And I'm not sure where you get the "character problems written all over him" comment. I'm assuming you just don't know too much about his situation.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
HF's own prospect criteria: "if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL"

Cam Ward has played in 51 NHL games: 28 regular season and 23 playoffs. He should no longer be considered a prospect and should not be on the list. Even if you only consider games started, it's 25 and 21, still greater than the prospect limit.

I'll just repost something I posted in another thread.

"Among other things, the NHL does not recognize playoff games for purposes of the Calder Trophy, for scoring titles, for game-time accrued for purposes of a player's pension, etc. We use the NHL's standard for games-played. If the NHL changes their standard, we probably would also."

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
ah yes, Buffalo's impressive group of foward/D prospects don't crack the top 50 at all. I guess Buffalo better give up drafting, because they suck at it. :p:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

They only use NHL season games, not the play-offs. Getzlaf and Perry are in the same boat, they're only a few games under the limit. It came up on the Ducks board when we had our last top-20 IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->