Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2005: 11-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidrage*

Umm. Yeah. Putting him that high borders on absurd.

It's based on where he was drafted and not on his play in the last 2½ years which by all accounts and numbers is well below that ranking.

Seriously, you're going to say that what a player did between 16-18 just totally DWARFS what he's done between 18-20? So much so that someone that wasn't even close to one of the best players in the AHL gets pegged this high, over players that outplayed him severly?

Don't give me some "adjustment" year. That's a valid point to excuse his lackluster performance. It's not an excuse to place him that high in the list.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
Yeah, because you have some bias obviously.

In the two years since being drafted he's basically done nothing.
He got drafted high in a good draft. That's the best thing he's done in the last 2½ years.

You may think he has some very high ceiling or something. But please, it's just bias and overvaluing where someone was picked in their draft class that has him that high. I severly doubt any GM would take him over Richards.

Yeah, we'll just argue it and it's opinion vs opinion.
But 66 12 11 23 24 look better at Play 4 lotto numbers then his year in the AHL.
Yeah, they mention it in their article here. They talk about him as if he were a 5th Rnd pick, then they shove him at #20. OMG, what great progression, they eventually even gave him some minutes on the PK. How awesome for him!

If Kostitsyn was a baseball prospect, he's be considered toolsy. He's a decent sized guy (around 6'0 209 at the start of last year), with a huge shot (I think his slap shot was timed at right around 100mph and just watching him, you can tell all his shots are extremely heavy), he's a strong, quick skater (sub 14 second lap time), and he has shown flashes of offensive wizardry. Sure, he hasn't put it all together yet, but the tools are there and he's shown what he can do in flashes, so he's a prime candidate to explode this year now that he's more familiar with the culture/language and league. He's learned the defensive game to boot, so he's not going to be a liability if the offensive side takes a while more to put together. You might not think that this potential is enough to warrant his placement, but obviously the people who put together the list do.

Anyway, does it really matter where a player a listed? Does the actual placement change a player? Theoretically, is a Mike Richards listed at #9 better than a Mike Richards listed at #49? It's the exact same guy, with the exact same potential, with the exact same chance of reaching his potential; just that in one case, some people think 8 players are better prospects and in the other case they think that 48 players are better prospects, but it doesn't change Mike Richards himself at all. It's all opinion and the people who put together the list collectively have a different opinion than you (and probably everyone else). You have every right to disagree, but it's all just for fun anyway. They put in hard work, so it's good enough for me (especially considering nothing actually changes because of their list). I'm content to take as entertainment and then to look back in five years and see how they've done.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
golleafsgo_17 said:
Have you seen Kostitsyn play? because if you have then you wouldn't typed what you just typed, He has potential and skill comming out of his ears. Sure his stats aren't impressive but he was a 19 y/o kid that couldn't speak any english and was adapting to the North American style of hockey. He also didn't get much icetime because half of Dallas's AHL affiliate was merged in with Hamilton. Also alot of there players on there team were supposed to be in the NHL, like Ward, Ott, Komisarek and Daley.

I saw practically every Bulldog home game and I say he sucks. I totally agree with the other guy, I would not trade Richards for him. And don't claim bias, I'm a leaf fan so I hate Philly even more than Montreal these days.

Yes he has skill... but thats about all he has.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
It's amusing to see folks attacking Kostitsyn for having 2 "poor" years. Aside from scoring at a goal-per-game pace in russian junior and getting his medical issues under control, he then moves to a new continent... alone... without speaking the language... at age 19, proceeds to learn the language, learns defense, has a pretty good WJC, and showed flashes of great tools. If you rank on potential, he's got loads. If you rank on stats, then he's way too high. I personally thought that he would have been left off the list entirely because he didn't perform up to the lofty expectations folks had for him this past season, but I'm glad he is recognized for having amazing tools... based on talent, he belongs on that list.

Good list so far... I'm also glad Perezhogin made it back in. Hopefully we see some action out of him this year.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
MentalPowerHouse said:
And don't claim bias, I'm a leaf fan so I hate Philly even more than Montreal these days.

Yes he has skill... but thats about all he has.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: Leafs fans are so funny sometimes... also, are you a leaf fan, a leafs fan, or a leaves fan? (don't take it personally, I find the mis-spelled moniker funny)

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
So Perezhogin didn't make the top-50 at all last year?

I could understand putting him low on the list because of the suspension but it was pretty much understood that he was going to play... somewhere, be it NHL or RSL. Not to mention he had just finished scoring at a PPG pace the second half of his AHL rookie season and playoffs.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
habsfansam said:
It's amusing to see folks attacking Kostitsyn for having 2 "poor" years. Aside from scoring at a goal-per-game pace in russian junior and getting his medical issues under control, he then moves to a new continent... alone... without speaking the language... at age 19, proceeds to learn the language, learns defense, has a pretty good WJC, and showed flashes of great tools. If you rank on potential, he's got loads. If you rank on stats, then he's way too high. I personally thought that he would have been left off the list entirely because he didn't perform up to the lofty expectations folks had for him this past season, but I'm glad he is recognized for having amazing tools... based on talent, he belongs on that list.

Good list so far... I'm also glad Perezhogin made it back in. Hopefully we see some action out of him this year.
Good post, great perspective.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As a Wild fan I would switch O'Sullivan with Pouliot. I'm like everyone. Pouliot had one good year and he's in the top 25? ***? I don't agree with that.

O'Sullivan if anything should be in the top 25..maybe a little out. His ranking feels fine, maybe a bit lower...But...Yeah.

That's all I have to say...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I find a lot of the list odd but you have to appreciate the work these "NON PAID" writers put into the lists. They have their views and you have your own. Leave it at that, if your team feels more confident in their player then another teams player then so be it.

Randall Graves*

USC Trojans said:
Then, would you mind explaining why you think Smid and Perry should be ranked higher? I think if you're critiquing someone's work, its only fair if you at least explain why you'd think differently.
Smid has been holding his own against MEN in a very good league and he's just a kid! He is a great skater and has the tools to be a good two way defensemen. When you watch him play against the other prospects at a camp, or tournament he stands out. I don't think he'll be a number 1 defensemen but he'll be a very good number 2 guy.

My reasoning for Perry is, I think he could be a good player but he has so many holes in his game right now i'm not as high on him as everyone else. Playing in the OHL with boys is one thing, playing in the NHL with men is another, and since he has alot of trouble with his skating, and so easily pushed off the puck, I don't think it'll translate for a while.

I also think Tim Gleason was snubbed big time, if you can put Shawn Belle why not Tim Gleason?

Randall Graves*

slats432 said:
Says the Ducks fan when speaking about Smid and Perry. Like I said, if you wanted to talk about how you think that Semin is soft, or that Tyutin is overrated I will listen.(Of course I agree with neither.) But anything you say about Ducks prospects most won't heed because of the tendency to pump one's own prospects. Really it is a phenomenom that is rampant because people tend to view things close to them with rose coloured glasses.

I should know, I do it with my own children every day....they are the best. ;)
Oh yes, popovic,konopka,smith,kunitz,klubbertanz,saunders were all screwed and should be in the top 10!!

even though I said Perry should be lower. I think Smid is a better prospect than he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
after this Ithink the top 10 will be:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Zherdev
Lehtonen
Malkin
Phaneuf
Carter
Fleury
Vanek
Suter

also does anybody know if Zherdev could still be a "Calder" canidate this season?

CoolDude*

19bruins19 said:
I'd take Toivonen over Tyutin, Coburn, and Semin.

Really?!? There's a surprise.

jtuzzi21 said:
gazoooks

shouldn't be suprised, but I would take Ryan Kesler easily over 10 guys on this list.

Name the ten guys.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'd take Perry over Getzlaf...

I think one of the biggest kinks in this list is the fact that Bobby Ryan and Jack Johnson are 20 spots apart?
Is Brian Burke that stupid to take Ryan one spot ahead of JOhnson?
I usually like to use this list as a gage of prospects for drafting...but I think I'll pass this season...

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I haven't double check, but is Bergeron really out of the top 50? (Since Horton is still on the list, I guess Bergeron is still listed as a prospect)...

Vic Rattlehead*

Kafka said:
I haven't double check, but is Bergeron really out of the top 50? (Since Horton is still on the list, I guess Bergeron is still listed as a prospect)...

No, Bergeron has played more games than the criteria HF has given for a player to be called a prospect.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Genghis Keon said:
If Kostitsyn was a baseball prospect, he's be considered toolsy. He's a decent sized guy (around 6'0 209 at the start of last year), with a huge shot (I think his slap shot was timed at right around 100mph and just watching him, you can tell all his shots are extremely heavy), he's a strong, quick skater (sub 14 second lap time), and he has shown flashes of offensive wizardry. Sure, he hasn't put it all together yet, but the tools are there and he's shown what he can do in flashes, so he's a prime candidate to explode this year now that he's more familiar with the culture/language and league. He's learned the defensive game to boot, so he's not going to be a liability if the offensive side takes a while more to put together. You might not think that this potential is enough to warrant his placement, but obviously the people who put together the list do.

Anyway, does it really matter where a player a listed? Does the actual placement change a player? Theoretically, is a Mike Richards listed at #9 better than a Mike Richards listed at #49? It's the exact same guy, with the exact same potential, with the exact same chance of reaching his potential; just that in one case, some people think 8 players are better prospects and in the other case they think that 48 players are better prospects, but it doesn't change Mike Richards himself at all. It's all opinion and the people who put together the list collectively have a different opinion than you (and probably everyone else). You have every right to disagree, but it's all just for fun anyway. They put in hard work, so it's good enough for me (especially considering nothing actually changes because of their list). I'm content to take as entertainment and then to look back in five years and see how they've done.

Excellent analysis of Kostitsyn...and to be accurate, his shot was at exactly 100mph...what exites me about Kostitsyn is at 20yrs old, his talent is undeniable, cultural adjustment's have to be made though, and for those who think that's just an excuse, it's really not, Alexander Mogilny went through an adjustment period in the NHL before he exploded, not saying this will happen with Kostitsyn, but just pointing out that not everyone has a smooth transition to the NA game

I just keep remembering his performance vs. the U.S. at the WJC's, he was truly dominant...

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Reveille! said:
And who should he be higher on this top 50 list? Hahaha...

Lundqvist
Nokelainen
Cammalleri
Michalek
Kostitsyn
Tyutin

But I guess it doesn't matter, if a player is taken by Toronto, he all of a sudden goes from great to crap, and as soon as he leaves he is a blue chipper again. Happens all the time.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Since I assume Travis Zajac didn't crack the top 10, I'm midly disappointed to not see him in the 40-50 range. If he progresses as steadily this season as last, he'll force his way on the list next time.

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
i agree that Pouliet is not proven yet to be top 24th.. Maybe with time, but there are a few a would put before him..

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
Price was considered a consensus top ten pick. Exaggeration doesn't improve your argument.

Regardless of that, I don't see any problem in leaving him off the list as the writers seemed to value the NHL-readiness of the older prospects more.

:bow:

That's the reason why Perezhogin wasn't in the list in the past year...and boom now he's in!!!

The only surprise for me is Kostsitsyn in front of Perezhogin...I think that Perezhogin will be better than Kostsitsyn in NHL....HF will maybe prove me wrong!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad