Hockey's Future Mid-season Organizational Rankings (1-10) posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I question the definition of "prospects" I still don't know why Tellqvist isn't considered a prospect for the leafs, is he to old?
How is Taffe a prospect playing in the nhl with 30+ games while Fleury playing in junior isn't? Hossa, hainsey still prospects because they can't stick with the habs?
Nice list, but I don't agree with it and think it's flawed...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
People just shutup about the criteria, you wrecked 2 threads by complaining over it. If there needs to be a change I think they got enough bad pub to decide. Just talk about the prospects for once.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Habs have so many talented forward prospects its unreal. As a Devils fan I am extreamly pleased with the rankings and if there are any devils fans who arn't they are insane.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
I think the same person should do the write-up for each team. If you just read the write-ups, the team placement seems odd.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I am going to go way out on a limb here and say that I think the Edmonton Oilers are too high, I totally agree with the Habs being number one.(Congrats blue blanc et rouge)

I also think that Chicago is way too low. If Radulov, Vorobiev, Yakuobov, Seabrook, Barinka, Babchuk, don't get you to crack the top ten, then I am not sure what will.

A tremendous effort by the HF Staff. Congratulations.

#44_delivers

Dec 21, 2003
edmonton
good list im glad to see both edmonton and new jersey climb where i think they belong, and i had a feeling that montreal would be #1,
even though i believe halak's ceiling is a bit higher then "back-up at best"

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Well, as stated in the previous thread the criteria used to come up with these rankings are seriously flawed. The whole graduation criteria make this a list of "teams with the best looking prospects not good enough to make the NHL" rather than what they aim to be, an ''organisational rankings''.

Even with these criteria however, I fail to see how Edmonton is #3, find the Devils at 4 rather ridiculous, am surprised by the Coyotes at 5 and feel the Habs are probably overrated as well. Buffalo, Columbus and Atlanta seem to be too high as well. Although I appreciate the effort put in, I just find it hard to take these rankings extremely seriously, contrary to last year...

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
#44_delivers said:
of coarse thats how you feel your the leafs moderator

Your point being?

When asked for instance who has the best D among Ottawa and Vancouver, I picked Ottawa even though I disliked them quite a bit more than than the Nucks. That said I just fail to see how Montreal has the best group of prospects in the league... Seems ot be that the Habs are having quite a few rather overhyped prospects, have no real top end talent and benefit form the graduation criteria because most of these guys aren't good enough for the NHL yet...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
DutchLeafsfan said:
Well, as stated in the previous thread the criteria used to come up with these rankings are seriously flawed. The whole graduation criteria make this a list of "teams with the best looking prospects not good enough to make the NHL" rather than what they aim to be, an ''organisational rankings''.

Even with these criteria however, I fail to see how Edmonton is #3, find the Devils at 4 rather ridiculous, am surprised by the Coyotes at 5 and feel the Habs are probably overrated as well. Buffalo, Columbus and Atlanta seem to be too high as well. Although I appreciate the effort put in, I just find it hard to take these rankings extremely seriously, contrary to last year...

I'm not sure how you could see Montreal being overrated. If you take a close look, I mean no one comes close right now to touching the type of talent they have in the AHL and junior ranks.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Habs #1

Way to go and big Kudos to A. Savard and Trevor Timmons. It must suck to have an old man (Barry Fraser) who happens to live in Fort QuAppelle, SK (middle of nowhere) heading up your draft team, heh dutch leaf moderator and Pierre Hedin :lol:
It must be a cold reality that your leaf team who's average age is 34 and your have little in the way of prospects for the future and a new CBA salary cap around the corner. Also, you will not be able to cover your ass by buying good players. :joker:
The Habs core players are all in their 20's and have very good prospects coming up.
HNIC english games coming back to Habland very soon!!
St. Bob rules :yo:

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Brock said:
I'm not sure how you could see Montreal being overrated. If you take a close look, I mean no one comes close right now to touching the type of talent they have in the AHL and junior ranks.

They have good depth, but IMO no real top end talent in their system. That said upon closer inspection their group looks pretty good compared with most others listed. I just have some major issues with the criteria used, and which have caused some organisations who I consider to be better than the Habs to fall a fairly massive amount of places. That said the Habs are by no means the most shocking selection, and checking the lists I can probably live with it given the prospects which apparently qualified. The major shockers to me are the Devils, followed by the Thrashers...

#44_delivers

Dec 21, 2003
edmonton
DutchLeafsfan said:
They have good depth, but IMO no real top end talent in their system. That said upon closer inspection their group looks pretty good compared with most others listed. I just have some major issues with the criteria used, and which have caused some organisations who I consider to be better than the Habs to fall a fairly massive amount of places. That said the Habs are by no means the most shocking selection, and checking the lists I can probably live with it given the prospects which apparently qualified. The major shockers to me are the Devils, followed by the Thrashers...
top end talent? buddy kastiskyn is top end talent to say the least. and they got alote of solid ones to his rear.

anyways i understand why the devils are placed that high.

im not here to argue and make an issue out of nothing and bring controversy here, im just going to say congrats to andre and trevor for a goor draft record.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
How was Patrick Bartischi and Sergei Anshakov overlooked for the Pens? Both have had a phenomenal 2 years since the 2002 draft, and had incredible WJC's. Both are easily in the Pens top 4-5 prospects, and the goal scorers that they supposedly lack?

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
DutchLeafsfan said:
You havn't a clue what your talking about, they have 3 top talent players in Kastitsyn, Higgins and Perezhogin, add that to their Juiniors that are ripping up in PEI and their AHL prospects there isn't on team who could compete.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NJ should never have been ranked 19th in the last rankings, that was their problem. People look and see they jumped so many spots and figuere they shouldn't be there. They should be jumped a couple spots just becasue it was Conte that drafted them :)

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
DutchLeafsfan said:
The whole graduation criteria make this a list of "teams with the best looking prospects not good enough to make the NHL" rather than what they aim to be, an ''organisational rankings''....

Prospects not good enough to make the NHL? A strange sentence indeed! Aside from perhaps two or three players in each draft year, that moniker would fit on pretty much every prospect (completely disregards a players age, where they are currently playing etc...)

Besides why are you so sure that every prospect not currently playing in the NHL is not good enough for the NHL? Completely disregards organizational depth, contract predicaments even roster limits.

The criterion may not be perfect (and some of the ranking might be off - it's a matter of opinion) - but arguing the graduation criteria taints the result is weak.

Edit: Typos

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The recent graduations of defenseman Ryan Malone and wingers Konstantin Koltsov, Ramzi Abid and Brooks Orpik have weakened the farm system

Anything wrong with that sentence?

I find it baffling that Fleury, who has 22 games in the NHL and now playing in junior isn't considered a prospect. I mean, he wasn't even on pace for 40 games.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
JasonMacIsaac said:
You havn't a clue what your talking about, they have 3 top talent players in Kastitsyn, Higgins and Perezhogin, add that to their Juiniors that are ripping up in PEI and their AHL prospects there isn't on team who could compete.

Actually I do have a clue what I am talking about. Despite Kyle Woodlief's words, I''d rate Andrei Kostitsyn one notch below the real top prospects (the Nashes, Staals, Spezzas etc.). Similar for Higgins and Perezhogin. Very good prospects without a doubt, but not top end when using my definition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->