Hockey's Future Fall 2004 Org Rankings 11-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Very surprised to see Wild in the top 10, I'm not sure if they belong there (I have them in the 11-14 range), I think Koivu has been underrated so far, maybe that has changed.

My team Ducks suprisingly high, again didn't expect them to be in top 10 (also in the 11-14 range in my books).

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
nomorekids said:
i'm shocked that minnesota and edmonton made it this far, but these things are usually headscratchers :)

Your shocked that the Oilers are that high??? Why?? They were what, 3rd last year?? And with adding another goaltending prospect along with a highly skilled forward in Dubnyk and Schemp respectively, they are solid in every position. They are definately a top 5 team in this. Now if only things can work out in the new CBA that will enable them to keep all these prospects for years to come!!! :teach:

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think people always overlook Ruzicka in the Flyers organization, he'll likely have another outstanding season in Owen Sound this year...
I'll be the ignorant person and ask why Roy and Vermette are still considered prospects when they've both played more than half a season?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Center depth for the Wild is absolutely wicked with O'Sullivan being nearly blue-chipped after a very strong season last year and dispelling any rumors of his problems. He's as good as or maybe even better then Schremp.

The Fuhr*

Ottawa not in the top 10. You got to be joking, Year after year this orginization develops future stars from within and it won't be any different with the group of guys they got now. How can any list be takesn seriously if Ottawa isin't in the top 10?

Guy Flaming

Fuhr86 said:
Ottawa not in the top 10. You got to be joking, Year after year this orginization develops future stars from within and it won't be any different with the group of guys they got now. How can any list be takesn seriously if Ottawa isin't in the top 10?

Nobody on the committee had Ottawa in the top 10 on their final list, including the Sens' writer. Why not? Because their list of prospects isn't as impressive as those above them.

The Fuhr*

Guy Flaming said:
Nobody on the committee had Ottawa in the top 10 on their final list, including the Sens' writer. Why not? Because their list of prospects isn't as impressive as those above them.

We will see in a few years from now. Ottawa has a tremendous amount of talent in there system. Id take there group of Prospects over Nashville and they are going to be in the top 10

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I thought Columbus would remain in the top 10 since they did not lose any prospects from last year's list (except Nederost) and they added guys like Picard, Pineault and Wharton. But, I think the write-up on the CBJ made very fair points about the organization's numerous risk-reward type players.
No complaints here (except that there was no mention of Aaron Johnson).

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
DoobieDoobieDo said:
I'm really having a tough time seeing Atlanta being ranked so high on just a couple of prospects...
I'd take Kari Lehtonen alone over most teams' entire prospect pools. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. Yes, I'm homer, but yes, he's damn good and he plays the most important position in the game.

On top of that, we've got Braydon Coburn and Boris Valabik, who both have good NHL potential as defensemen, and Jim Slater, who should be a great two-way forward in a few years. There are a few other solid role-player prospects in the organization too.

In a nutshell, I'd rather have a few excellent prospects than a bunch of good ones. I'd rather build a franchise around top-flight prospects/players then fill in the holes through trades and free agency rather than have all the holes filled with no great players to lead the team anywhere.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Fuhr86 said:
We will see in a few years from now. Ottawa has a tremendous amount of talent in there system. Id take there group of Prospects over Nashville and they are going to be in the top 10

Then you would be making a gigantic mistake. Nashvilles prospect base is considerably better than Ottawa's.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Agreed. I think one could make a case for Nashville right around, or perhaps just outside, the top five. Poile's methodical, mayhap plodding approach is bearing fruit. That group on defense is enviable and they have started taking a flyer or two on some prospects with impressive offensive upside after going for rugged for some time. Nice balance, nice depth, and a few very high-caliber players.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
as a Flyers fan, I am also satisfied. with the prospects (Woywitka) and picks (1st, 2nd & 3rd rounders) we gave up the last year or two, were not in bad shape. with a good draft this year( if there is one) we could improve quickly.

but how didn't they mention Stefan Ruzicka? I think he is one of the Flyers best prospects.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
nomorekids said:
I think I hear the distant rumble of a thousand behooved Devils and Flyers fans, coming to lay ruin to this thread ;)

Don't know about the Devils but both LA and the Flyers are ranked way too low.

EDIT: Also think my Canucks are too high on the last list. I love Kesler and happy we have a goalie or two but our other prospects are really high risk.

I love LA's prospects thought there are some really stacked teams at the top. I just don't see how some of them rate that high though.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Knew the Sabres would fall alot, just didn't know all these other teams would as well.

The Fuhr*

Enoch said:
Then you would be making a gigantic mistake. Nashvilles prospect base is considerably better than Ottawa's.

Lets take a look at both teams top 10 prospects then

Suter=Mezaros: There about equal
Upshall<Eaves: Id take Eaves over Upshall
Shishkanov<Mirnov: Again the Sens player is better
Pivko<Kaigorodov: Kaigorodov is better and 3 years younger
Finley<Emery: No question here Emery is better
Radulov>Boshenski: Ill give the edge here to the Nashville prospect although both will get you close to 30 goals a season during there NHL carrer.
Weber<Lyamin: Lyamins the better player
Klein>Gimayev: I like Klein alot so ill take him over Gimayev
Hutchinson<Komadoski: Komadoski is a future top 4 defenseman cant say the same for Hutchinson
Soin<Platil: Platil is a more physical Rachunek, Soin could be a 4th line center
Stehlik=Schubert: Ive never seen Stehlik play so I can't comment on him being better then Schubert or Vice versa

So of the top 10 prospects
2 are equal
Nashville is better then 2 sens prospects
Ottawa is better then 6 Nashville prospects

I could have went deeper in the talent pool for both teams but I did not want to make Nashville look to bad. So how can anyone say Nashville has better prospects then the Sens.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't really mind the rankings.....last year I thought we were actually around 12 rather then 4th and we had a fairly weak draft but to say we have no depth or physical presence is a joke. Voros, Massen, Ryznar, Tallackson, Pihlman, Nittel, Pikkarainen and Janssen is not physical? Defense is not a strong point but you failed to mention all the defensmen we picked up in the draft. Mikhailishin (potential WJC defensmen), Klimov (potential WJC defensmen, and Eckford who is doing well in the BCHL this year with 8 points in 5 games standing at 6`3 215.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fuhr86 said:

Radulov>Boshenski: Ill give the edge here to the Nashville prospect although both will get you close to 30 goals a season during there NHL carrer.
Hutchinson<Komadoski: Komadoski is a future top 4 defenseman cant say the same for Hutchinson
Soin<Platil: Platil is a more physical Rachunek, Soin could be a 4th line center
Stehlik=Schubert: Ive never seen Stehlik play so I can't comment on him being better then Schubert or Vice versa

So of the top 10 prospects
2 are equal
Nashville is better then 2 sens prospects
Ottawa is better then 6 Nashville prospects

I could have went deeper in the talent pool for both teams but I did not want to make Nashville look to bad. So how can anyone say Nashville has better prospects then the Sens.
lol.....I'm sorry but....lol

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
Fuhr86 said:

Terrible list.

Suter is miles ahead of Meszaros.

Shishkanov is also a much better prospect than Mirnov.

The Fuhr*

Boondock Saint said:
Terrible list.

Suter is miles ahead of Meszaros.

Shishkanov is also a much better prospect than Mirnov.

Mezaros is going to be a 50 point defenseman for the sens and bring a physical game.

Mirnov playing in the same league as Ovechkin in less games was only 2 goals and 2points behind him. We all know how good Ovechkin is going to be

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Fuhr86 said:

As the Senators writer here at HF and a member of the committee, I can say that while I do like the Senators prospects probably as much as any, I did not consider them a top 10 team. I would say it is entirely justifiable to have them 11th or 12th or so, but in my eyes and in the eyes of the group, the group between about 8-18 is pretty tight. What the Senators consistently do well is develop their players. They get the most of their prospects, and you can be sure the stock of guys like Meszaros, Eaves, Mirnov, Kaigorodov and of course Emery will only rise as time goes on.

Even as a Senators writer, I'd trade the Senators prospects for the Predators prospects any day of the week...I'm not sure I'd do the same for all 16 teams ahead of the Senators, but I can see why others would.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Perhaps the greatest credit to Poile's draft strategy is how he stockpiled and refused to sqaunder so many picks in the deep 2003 draft. As soon as next year the dividends might be huge on that draft alone, if the prospects DO flesh out as expected. :bow:

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Fuhr86 said:
Mezaros is going to be a 50 point defenseman for the sens and bring a physical game.

Mirnov playing in the same league as Ovechkin in less games was only 2 goals and 2points behind him. We all know how good Ovechkin is going to be

So, I guess Ovechkin is a bum now.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
tnrocketman said:
Perhaps the greatest credit to Poile's draft strategy is how he stockpiled and refused to sqaunder so many picks in the deep 2003 draft. As soon as next year the dividends might be huge on that draft alone, if the prospects DO flesh out as expected. :bow:

It's true, 2003 was a highlight for Nashville.

Mind you, I'm not sure it is THAT as amazing but still, the Preds have a great group. I agree with Hossa when he says the rankings are probably very tight from 8th to 18th. In fact, I think it's tight across the board almsot everywhere.

You can make a case for many teams being higher or lower than another. It's really indicative that there is great depth right now almost across the league.

I think by 2006, it will be clear to almost everybody that there is more than enough talent in the world to support a 30-team league. I see a lot of quality these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->