HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Rankings - March 6th 2018

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am surprised to see Hayton that low, I really like the kid and I understand his offensive upside concerns, but the kid looks like a legit pro player to me and would love for the Hawks to scoop him up with that Preds pick.

Outside of that, very happy to see all the US kids where they are ranked, all in the top 18 outside of O'Brien who sneaks in at 31...

Reactions: PuckLife

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Do these guys have scouts in Finland? If not then why give any credit to Kupari & Kotkaniemi rankings?

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Surprised to see Bouchard that low. I like him more than Dobson

Also, this is a very unpopular opinion but I’m not huge on Huges. I’d take

Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Smith, Wilde, and McIssac ahead of him.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Did they watch Kupari all six games he’s scored in?
Honestly....
Trying to sell the brand globally, cloudsbthe judgement.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do these guys have scouts in Finland? If not then why give any credit to Kupari & Kotkaniemi rankings?
They have at the very least Scandanavian based scouts. From there list of scouts they have, they have at least 3 European based scouts. They previously employed the Drafting Europe guys, who at least one of was based in Finland.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
But still what?
Go back every season to 2014-15 season...
Hasn’t been a point per game player in any season at anytime. At some point you have to have been a little dominant?
Was he playing against men then?
I’m sure he skates well, but still....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What would Jake Wise or Alex Khovanov need to do to re-establish himself as top 31 guys? Both are pretty much PPG since returning from injuries.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What would Jake Wise or Alex Khovanov need to do to re-establish himself as top 31 guys? Both are pretty much PPG since returning from injuries.
I'd assume in Khovanov's case put up ridiculous numbers in the Q and dominate the U-18's. Look at where Abramov went out of the Q with insane numbers.

I don't think they had Khovanov as a 1st rounder even prior to the mono scare. Both of those guys were only ranked HM's in their top 31 in last years black book. Although, that list isn't as thorough as their later lists.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
But still what?
Go back every season to 2014-15 season...
Hasn’t been a point per game player in any season at anytime. At some point you have to have been a little dominant?
Was he playing against men then?
I’m sure he skates well, but still....
Does it really matter what prospects did 2-4 years ago?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Nice-looking top 10. Seems like a solid draft to me. At least I like it.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Wow cool list. 15 d-mem in the first round and the 2 Finnish centers first off the board. Do teams have specific scouts to watch defence draft eligibles or do they rely on one scout checking all positions?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wow cool list. 15 d-mem in the first round and the 2 Finnish centers first off the board. Do teams have specific scouts to watch defence draft eligibles or do they rely on one scout checking all positions?
For NHL teams? They may have a goalie coach do specific scouting for goalies who doesn't scout anything else, but otherwise, you scout everything.

Scouts tend to be broken down regionally, with certain guys used to cross-check across regions to verify and check what their regional guys are seeing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd assume in Khovanov's case put up ridiculous numbers in the Q and dominate the U-18's. Look at where Abramov went out of the Q with insane numbers.

I don't think they had Khovanov as a 1st rounder even prior to the mono scare. Both of those guys were only ranked HM's in their top 31 in last years black book. Although, that list isn't as thorough as their later lists.

I was speaking moreso in general, as opposed to even just HP. Also I'm not sure the reasons Abramov slid are really relevant to Khovanov, since he is neither 5'9" or a winger.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
1 ohl’er in the top 10, 2 ohl’er in the top 20???? Gotta say that’s ridiculous.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Hockeyprospect.com and the TSN rankings are basically the only ones I pay attention to. Good to see someone finally rank Lundkvist over Lundeström. I have a feeling both might be ranked a tad too high though.

Reactions: ps241 and 93LEAFS

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I am surprised to see Hayton that low, I really like the kid and I understand his offensive upside concerns, but the kid looks like a legit pro player to me and would love for the Hawks to scoop him up with that Preds pick.

Outside of that, very happy to see all the US kids where they are ranked, all in the top 18 outside of O'Brien who sneaks in at 31...

I like Hayton, I just don't see him as high as some. He's smart and hard nosed and has a great shot which are big positives. Some scouts bash his skating but I don't think it's as bad as they do. I've seen him jump on lose pucks with a pretty solid first three steps.

I have no clue where He'll come of the board, I know more than a few scouts who have him as a second rounder and others have him in the top 20.

These guys sure like their USA -18s

Some great players there this season, it hasn't always been the case.

Once again......
Out to lunch.
Edwards live in Oakville or Finland?

I'm beginning to think that maybe you're not my (or HP's ) biggest fan. ;-) You're entitled to your opinion though.

I'll be very surprised if Bouchard lasts until 15

I wouldn't bet on him falling that far either, but remember that we are not trying to predict the draft.

I've liked a ton about Bouchard going back to his OHL Draft. My only real issue is compete. It's hit and miss at times. I'm going to see him again tomorrow night.

They have at the very least Scandanavian based scouts. From there list of scouts they have, they have at least 3 European based scouts. They previously employed the Drafting Europe guys, who at least one of was based in Finland.

Drafting Europe guys (Mik and Nik) were both excellent scouts. They are passionate about producing a solid Euro list.

Awesome list. HockeyProspect are always pretty spot on come draft time I find.

Thanks, appreciate it.

I've been a Jake Wise fan for a while. He's till just getting it rolling after the injury but I thought he played well in my recent viewings. We have him as a mid 2nd. Khovanov is TBD - Book not closed on him but skating at his size is just ok. That's one issue.

For NHL teams? They may have a goalie coach do specific scouting for goalies who doesn't scout anything else, but otherwise, you scout everything.

Scouts tend to be broken down regionally, with certain guys used to cross-check across regions to verify and check what their regional guys are seeing.

Scouts are expected to scout goalies and as one Dir of Scouting said to me "I don't want to hear a scout give excuses that he's not a 'goalie guy'. Many teams have a goalie staffer on staff, Leafs have a guy in the Boston area as an example. He travels everywhere.

1 ohl’er in the top 10, 2 ohl’er in the top 20???? Gotta say that’s ridiculous.

It is what it is. Trust me, I'd be a much happier camper if that wasn't the case. It's not really a shock to anyone that it's an off year though, OHL Draft was on the weaker side 2 years ago. A lot more OHL'ers come into play in the remainder of our top 70.

FWIW, we have more OHL'ers in our top 30 than several scouts I know of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->