News Article: Hockey Writers On Who Should Replace Chia

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Would be nice to get someone that has been having success in an org that has been drafting and developing good players. Rather than someone who had some success and then was slowly declining, falling behind the curve of the rest of the league, and cratering his team before being fired.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Fire Chia, draft Boqvist if possible, sign Green, get out of the Sekera contract, dont trade Nuge problem solved.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would be nice to get someone that has been having success in an org that has been drafting and developing good players. Rather than someone who had some success and then was slowly declining, falling behind the curve of the rest of the league, and cratering his team before being fired.

I like Breisbois, he's not getting that Tampa job any time soon as Yzerman is young.

We should jump on that before Montreal inevitably fires their idiot GM and goes after him in summer 2019.

Reactions: Consultant

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
did you post this 12 months ago by any chance

I’m not a big fan of MacLellan. I have a friend who played in SAN Jose and he told me Todd was terrible.

As for Chiarelli, I’m surrounded by Bruin fans here in NS. They warned me about Chiarelli, they were right. He put them in cap hell and did same here.

We r a mess. Next to the Cleveland Browns, the Oilers are very dis-appointing to their fans. We should be winning with McJesus

As for your comment about 12 months ago, I was enjoying the playoffs. When your coach and GM can’t figure out how to get to the next level, it is trouble and that is where we r at.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Drai traded

Reactions: Aerrol

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m not a big fan of MacLellan. I have a friend who played in SAN Jose and he told me Todd was terrible.

As for Chiarelli, I’m surrounded by Bruin fans here in NS. They warned me about Chiarelli, they were right. He put them in cap hell and did same here.

We r a mess. Next to the Cleveland Browns, the Oilers are very dis-appointing to their fans. We should be winning with McJesus

As for your comment about 12 months ago, I was enjoying the playoffs. When your coach and GM can’t figure out how to get to the next level, it is trouble and that is where we r at.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Drai traded

Chia has long, long, LONG, history of trading away young offensive players for pennies on the dollar, so this would certainly not surprise me in any way.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Chia has long, long, LONG, history of trading away young offensive players for pennies on the dollar, so this would certainly not surprise me in any way.
I hear ya. I just wanna know, who made this decision in hiring him? We seem to fire people who are doing good (Nelson, Kruger) and replace them with complete idiots. Chiarelli traded Wheeler as well

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Has this team ever done an actual search for a GM?

Chiarelli was hired days after his firing, with MacT unaware.
MacT was thrust in there by the OBC.
Was Tambi even part of a group of interviews?

I don't think coaching has been much better. Todd seemed to be their only guy. Eakins was hired out of nowhere.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think fanbases credit the GM's with drafting success far too much, Futa might be great in that head scout role and he might even have good insights on which scouts to hire/fire or perhaps even put a system in place to which the organization should adhere for evaluating prospects, but if he is the guy who scouted and was picking out the best talents routinely, that's not something he will have time for in the GM role, most GM's will struggle to find the time to scout all the 1st round talents multiple times, let alone 2nd round guys and beyond. Being a good head scout does not ensure that you'd be a good GM and there is no guarantee that success in drafting will continue when they are kicked higher up the ladder.

Like people want to credit Chia with recent drafting success (I'm dubious of proclaiming any draft success till they are proven NHL players), but when you listen to Chia talk about them on draft day it is very clear, that he has just been briefed on players we selected outside the 1st round and really isn't personally familiar with them.

Interesting conversation I thought I'd chime in as back in the mid 2000's I followed the Oilers and paid close attention to their drafting strategy (Good old coke machine days). GMs don't get too involved in scouting individual players due as you mentioned time constraints. But I think you are downplaying just how important they are in a successful drafting strategy. A GM as head of hockey opps will have final say on the characteristics and parameters of what the scouts are looking for in a player. He will also allocate resources and put in place performance metrics to properly evaluate the scouting staffs performance.

For instance Winnipeg retained and left in charge many of the Atlanta Thrasher scouts who where chronic draft underachievers. Those same scouts are now seen in a much different light. The reason for the turn around isn't due to the talent of the scouts but due to the directive set by management. When Chevy took over he totally revamped the characteristics and player attributes that he wanted his scouts to look for. He also poured substantially more resources into the department that allowed them to increase the number of scouts as well as develop or purchase whatever proprietary software and other tools they use. So while Chevy doesn't select the individual players per say his finger prints are all over the success of the department.

As GM Chirelli will judged by how well his scouts do because it is a department that falls within his sphere of influence. If they aren't meeting expectations then he needs to figure out why (Do they value the right attributes, do they allocate enough resources, are they resources being efficiently used) and then correct the issues.

At the end of the day if the GM tells the scouts to look predominately at size and grit then that is what the scouts will look for. Given that he has come out and pretty much admitted that his team is too slow and that they need to get quicker he probably didn't emphasize those characteristics to his scouts (prof and amateur) until recently. The Yammato pick last year caught my eye as it looked like a clear change in philosophy to me.

Anyhow I do wish you guys luck as a former Oiler fan while the Jets where gone it wasn't fun during the Tanbellini days and now that the Jets are back I would like nothing more then to get back to the 80's heated playoff rivalries albeit with different results this time :p.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Has this team ever done an actual search for a GM?

Chiarelli was hired days after his firing, with MacT unaware.
MacT was thrust in there by the OBC.
Was Tambi even part of a group of interviews?

I don't think coaching has been much better. Todd seemed to be their only guy. Eakins was hired out of nowhere.

From what I know they've never really interviewed people at all. Tambellini was gifted the job because Lowe knew him from Hockey Canada I believe. I don't think anyone else was interviewed.

Mac T obviously was given the job without anyone else being interviewed.

Chiarelli seems the same thing. They didn't bother to interview anyone else. He and Lowe had steak dinner at some restaurant and pretty much he was hired.

Shero and people like that weren't even given an interview.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Another Fire Chia thread disguised as a separate topic?

At what point does the entire forum get renamed Fire Chia?

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Why is it that the city closest to Viking never got one of these guys as coach or GM?

images

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
It does seem like Chia was chasing an outdated vision.

He successfully made a physical team. However, the league was already moving against that kind of team. Not only do our physical players get too much attention from the refs, but the need to be physical is not nearly as important as it once was, because other teams are dropping their physcial players in favor of skill as well. I'm not that afraid for McDavid's well being, even playing with guys like RNH and Rattie. Maybe Lucic was forced up there for a while because the team still has that philosophy from last season that every line needs a physical power forward as a modern enforcer.

Still, I do think the philosophy worked decently last season. Think back to how gutless the team was before Chia took over. Being a physical team makes the skilled players play with a lot of confidence. There were games last season where the physical edge we had really made the other side timid. A big one I remember was when Larsson crushed Tarasenko. I don't think St.Louis came close to beating us the rest of the season because of that. However, if it is an outdated vision, then overall it was the wrong direction. We probably should have emphasized speedy players instead.

The plan was always building a team heavy enough that could advance out of the Pacific in the postseason. So this plan was a success, had the refs called the playoff even, and had anyone in the war room understood that Kesler holding a goalies pad was interference.

LA and Anaheim are still nasty, San Jose less so, and Vegas is a good forecheck team. And the Preds await the team that gets out, so this isn’t something we should completely abandon.

The big issue with Chiarelli the last two years was losing NHL players and replacing them with kids, and frankly MacTavish did this so much when he was GM, I wonder if Chiarelli is getting the hard sell from him.

So the fix is dumping all the young RFAs other than Nurse and maybe Strome and replacing them with average NHL players, preferably ones that can skate, then make a few moves to fill our biggest needs.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The plan was always building a team heavy enough that could advance out of the Pacific in the postseason. So this plan was a success, had the refs called the playoff even, and had anyone in the war room understood that Kesler holding a goalies pad was interference.

LA and Anaheim are still nasty, San Jose less so, and Vegas is a good forecheck team. And the Preds await the team that gets out, so this isn’t something we should completely abandon.

Except that they seemed to forget that those teams aren't just big, they are also loaded with actual skill. Also it's odd to me that a team with the fastest player in the league would go in that direction instead of working to exploit those big heavy teams' relative lack of speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->