News Article: Hockey Writers On Who Should Replace Chia

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Well this is just f***ing infuriating to read:

"Edmonton’s not a fast team, so you can’t play run-and-gun hockey. They’re also not a physical team, so you can’t play a crash-and-bang style either. The answer is somewhere in the middle. Chiarelli will stand by his coach, and he should. This season has gone completely off the rails, but McLellan deserves another kick at the can to redeem himself."

Wait, what? So the team has no identity and McLellan has no idea what to do with the team, but we should give him another shot to fail at running special teams and line matching? And we should give Chiarelli another chance to lose at more trades? WHAT?

edit, sorry, that's from another article linked in yours:
Edmonton Oilers | Should Chiarelli & McLellan Be Fired?

edit 2 in an attempt to be more on topic:
This is a really interesting stat for Mike Futa: "Between the 2009 and 2010 drafts, only three of the Kings’ 15 picks didn’t play in the NHL."

Reactions: VainGretzky

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well this is just ****ing infuriating to read:

"Edmonton’s not a fast team, so you can’t play run-and-gun hockey. They’re also not a physical team, so you can’t play a crash-and-bang style either. The answer is somewhere in the middle. Chiarelli will stand by his coach, and he should. This season has gone completely off the rails, but McLellan deserves another kick at the can to redeem himself."

Wait, what? So the team has no identity and McLellan has no idea what to do with the team, but we should give him another shot to fail at running special teams and line matching? And we should give Chiarelli another chance to lose at more trades? WHAT?

edit, sorry, that's from another article linked in yours:
Edmonton Oilers | Should Chiarelli & McLellan Be Fired?
also, compared to the standard of the new NHL, I'd think our team is quite physical. Larsson, Lucic, Maroon, Nurse, Khaira, and Kassian are very physical players, and it's not like McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Klefbom, and Slepyshev are pushovers

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
also, compared to the standard of the new NHL, I'd think our team is quite physical. Larsson, Lucic, Maroon, Nurse, Khaira, and Kassian are very physical players, and it's not like McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Klefbom, and Slepyshev are pushovers

To be more charitable, I feel like Chiarelli wanted to build a team kind of like Nashville's - fast, skilled, and tough. But he really missed on the 'fast' part of that, and instead opted for a mish-mash hybrid. Hence the no identity, and his new shift towards acquiring faster players.

But yeah, I wouldn't say we're not a physical team, still. Though if Lucic is out of the top 6 I feel like that dramatically changes our physical presence on the ice.

Reactions: ujju2

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Edmonton Oilers arguably have the most physical forward and defenseman in the league. They are a total of 4 hits off the league lead. That's a dumb thing for someone to write.

I mean, they're probably less heavy NOW because being a big dumb team has hurt more than it's helped and players like Aberg have come in for players like Maroon, but still.

Reactions: Aerrol

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
To be more charitable, I feel like Chiarelli wanted to build a team kind of like Nashville's - fast, skilled, and tough. But he really missed on the 'fast' part of that, and instead opted for a mish-mash hybrid. Hence the no identity, and his new shift towards acquiring faster players.

But yeah, I wouldn't say we're not a physical team, still. Though if Lucic is out of the top 6 I feel like that dramatically changes our physical presence on the ice.
Benson, Maksimov, Safin and others are physical and fast. The Oilers you see now are not the finished product. As much as I want to put them the blame on Chia, he will be fired before he can reap the benefit of his draftees.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
edit 2 in an attempt to be more on topic:
This is a really interesting stat for Mike Futa: "Between the 2009 and 2010 drafts, only three of the Kings’ 15 picks didn’t play in the NHL."
I think fanbases credit the GM's with drafting success far too much, Futa might be great in that head scout role and he might even have good insights on which scouts to hire/fire or perhaps even put a system in place to which the organization should adhere for evaluating prospects, but if he is the guy who scouted and was picking out the best talents routinely, that's not something he will have time for in the GM role, most GM's will struggle to find the time to scout all the 1st round talents multiple times, let alone 2nd round guys and beyond. Being a good head scout does not ensure that you'd be a good GM and there is no guarantee that success in drafting will continue when they are kicked higher up the ladder.

Like people want to credit Chia with recent drafting success (I'm dubious of proclaiming any draft success till they are proven NHL players), but when you listen to Chia talk about them on draft day it is very clear, that he has just been briefed on players we selected outside the 1st round and really isn't personally familiar with them.

Reactions: Aerrol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The team stopped being physical when the officials kept sending them to the box in the playoffs last year. Oddest part of that was the Sharks were allowed to hold, clutch and grab at will and the Ducks were allowed to slash and cross check as much as they wanted. I’m not sure anybody knows what being physical is anymore based on how games are called. I know this team was intimidating last year and they weren’t this year. To me it seems like an identity crisis which is one more thing I think you can put on coaching. The team went off the rails early this year and Mclellan was never able to get them back.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think fanbases credit the GM's with drafting success far too much, Futa might be great in that head scout role and he might even have good insights on which scouts to hire/fire or perhaps even put a system in place to which the organization should adhere for evaluating prospects, but if he is the guy who scouted and was picking out the best talents routinely, that's not something he will have time for in the GM role, most GM's will struggle to find the time to scout all the 1st round talents multiple times, let alone 2nd round guys and beyond. Being a good head scout does not ensure that you'd be a good GM and there is no guarantee that success in drafting will continue when they are kicked higher up the ladder.

Like people want to credit Chia with recent drafting success (I'm dubious of proclaiming any draft success till they are proven NHL players), but when you listen to Chia talk about them on draft day it is very clear, that he has just been briefed on players we selected outside the 1st round and really isn't personally familiar with them.

This is a good point. The more important factor is how much say he gets in changing the scouting staff/how many people he can bring from his old organization. I know Chia brought Keith Gretzky - did he bring many others? I honestly don't know.

You're right though, picking a GM based on drafting success probably isn't a great idea, unless said team is also known to have an excellent development program, which I'd say is more closely tied to the GM. So on that note, Fenton and Brisebrois really stand out to me.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jim Nill might be available this summer, I think he's good at trades + signings, but apparently not good at drafting.

Jim Nill as GM + keep Keith Gretzky as assistant GM (to oversee drafting) wouldn't be a bad duo at all.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The team stopped being physical when the officials kept sending them to the box in the playoffs last year. Oddest part of that was the Sharks were allowed to hold, clutch and grab at will and the Ducks were allowed to slash and cross check as much as they wanted. I’m not sure anybody knows what being physical is anymore based on how games are called. I know this team was intimidating last year and they weren’t this year. To me it seems like an identity crisis which is one more thing I think you can put on coaching. The team went off the rails early this year and Mclellan was never able to get them back.
It does seem like Chia was chasing an outdated vision.

He successfully made a physical team. However, the league was already moving against that kind of team. Not only do our physical players get too much attention from the refs, but the need to be physical is not nearly as important as it once was, because other teams are dropping their physcial players in favor of skill as well. I'm not that afraid for McDavid's well being, even playing with guys like RNH and Rattie. Maybe Lucic was forced up there for a while because the team still has that philosophy from last season that every line needs a physical power forward as a modern enforcer.

Still, I do think the philosophy worked decently last season. Think back to how gutless the team was before Chia took over. Being a physical team makes the skilled players play with a lot of confidence. There were games last season where the physical edge we had really made the other side timid. A big one I remember was when Larsson crushed Tarasenko. I don't think St.Louis came close to beating us the rest of the season because of that. However, if it is an outdated vision, then overall it was the wrong direction. We probably should have emphasized speedy players instead.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Jim Nill might be available this summer, I think he's good at trades + signings, but apparently not good at drafting.

Jim Nill as GM + keep Keith Gretzky as assistant GM (to oversee drafting) wouldn't be a bad duo at all.

Jim Nill is the only current GM about to be fired (or was recently fired) that Id consider. We need someone good at signing and trading if need be

Id personally find an assistant GM whos ready, or look to Europe for a top GM there

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Jim Nill and a young assistant GM would also be a good option. I honestly would be thrilled with anyone of those 5 options because all of them would be an upgrade.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Outside of Lucic and Strome we're not really a slow team but I think the way things are called in the NHL now really neuters our team toughness.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jim Nill and a young assistant GM would also be a good option. I honestly would be thrilled with anyone of those 5 options because all of them would be an upgrade.

Nill for trading/signing players and keeping Keith Gretzky for the drafting would be a very good 1-2 duo in the front office IMO.

Reactions: Consultant

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Outside of Lucic and Strome we're not really a slow team but I think the way things are called in the NHL now really neuters our team toughness.

At the start of the year, I'd argue we were 31/31 in team speed. That's improved since with Aberg, Cammalleri and Puljujarvi in for Maroon, Letestu and Jokinen.

I still think the team has a real problem with it's first three steps. Draisaitl and Kassian are not slow players once they get moving, but neither do they accelerate well. It's the stopping and starting down low in the cycle where we aren't drawing tripping and hooking penalties. The only particularly quick player on the team is, well, everyone knows that.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Who picks the players that are on the team crapping the bed?

The GM doesn't get a mulligan.
I believe he at least gets another year. We basically have same team as last year with drastically different results the gm can't control how the players play. Coach has a lot to do with that. Every team has the ability to win in the nhl and a coach can take a team with less talent and make a team out of them through system and effort tm isn't getting any of that out of them this year. Change coach let PC try to correct things in the offseason and if we're not any better than we look at the gm. Imo

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
12 months ago we wear hailing both Tmac and Chia Pet has gods--now we want them sacked

year--let get back on the roller coaster of sacking GM and coaches every off season--what harm will that do? Oh yeah. a guy like Hall goes on record he just started tune them out because he knew they would not last

Reactions: Night Witch

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly, I'll stick with this, a Cadre of fans who "qualify" based on some hockey knowledge criteria or whatever, Then rotate the cadre every 90s days so things don't become stale. Win-Win.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Brisebois would be amazing, some lightning fans have said hes arguably the main reason they have the talent pool that they do.

Not too big a fan of Fenton, but I’ll take him over Chiarelli any day. it’s taken Nashville a ridiculously long time to finally be a contender.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
12 months ago we wear hailing both Tmac and Chia Pet has gods--now we want them sacked

year--let get back on the roller coaster of sacking GM and coaches every off season--what harm will that do? Oh yeah. a guy like Hall goes on record he just started tune them out because he knew they would not last
Maybe because in the 12 months they have both done a terrible job.

Reactions: Consultant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad