Hockey World Cup- is it possible that crosby could play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
absolutely no chance...crosby will only be 17 and isn't even close to ready physical to compete with nhlers

Harry Sinbin

Jan 21, 2003
Sarnia, ON
Visit site
While I wouldn't expect him to make the team, I wouldn't be all that surprised if he got an invitation to camp as a "learning experience." Remember, at aproximately the same age, Gretzky was heading to his first professional training camp and Gretzky might see this as having a hand in the development of Canada's next big thing in hockey.

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
Not a chance. He would get killed out there. He needs NHL experience first before playing in a tournement like that. The speed the game is played at between junior and pro is hardly comparable.

However, the next world cup, look out!!

BCCHL inactive

Hitman said:
This is getting WAAAAAY out of hand.

My thoughts exactly. We know Crosby is good, but let's keep it realistic. The kid hasn't even made this year's U20 team, and we're talking about the World Cup???

:shakehead

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:
My thoughts exactly. We know Crosby is good, but let's keep it realistic. The kid hasn't even made this year's U20 team, and we're talking about the World Cup???

:shakehead
He will be close to fully grown by the time the 2006 Olympics, but nhl seasoning counts for a lot, especially playoffs. Look how well Yzerman played on one leg in 2002 olympics and playoffs. The Q is the best league Sid has played in so far but its amazing how fast he adjusts.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Personally, I can't see Crosby going up against players like Derian Hatcher, Darius Kasparitis (well, pre-NYR anyway), Jeremy Roenick, and so on.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well, he may be invited, it would be cool to see him play with pros, but I don't think it will happen. Crosby may be able to adapt, but don't screw up his confidence by sending him to the gaz chamber...

In invitation in camp and an healthy scratch spot, maybe. Learn from NHL stars can't be bad...

Falling asleep, start dreaming: Lemieux to Heatley, Heatley passes to Crosby, he shoots AND SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!! Canada wins it 3-2 in OT :P

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think he should be invited to the camp, just for development reasons. However, making the team is a joke. Forget about him being ready or not, there is no way he would beat out guys like Thornton, Sakic, Weight, Morrisson, Savard....

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
Falling asleep, start dreaming: Lemieux to Heatley, Heatley passes to Crosby, he shoots AND SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!! Canada wins it 3-2 in OT :P

With a line like that nobody is taking Canada to OT.

Hitman*

Crosbyfan said:
He will be close to fully grown by the time the 2006 Olympics, but nhl seasoning counts for a lot, especially playoffs. Look how well Yzerman played on one leg in 2002 olympics and playoffs. The Q is the best league Sid has played in so far but its amazing how fast he adjusts.

Sid at most could have played 1/2 of an NHL season by then. The Olympics are out of the question too. The World Championships are another story.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hitman said:
Sid at most could have played 1/2 of an NHL season by then. The Olympics are out of the question too. The World Championships are another story.

I still wouldn't bet against it, Sid has played against older bigger players "his whole life" THe only thing that will have changed by then is that he'll be bigger than average. Somehow I think he might adjust to that to. I don't think its to big a stretch to compare him by then (at 18) to Pele (at 17) at his first World Cup (soccer).

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
kasper11 said:
I think he should be invited to the camp, just for development reasons. However, making the team is a joke. Forget about him being ready or not, there is no way he would beat out guys like Thornton, Sakic, Weight, Morrisson, Savard....

Yeah, Weight has a real shot at making Team Canada....huh?

BCCHL inactive

Minnesota Norse Star said:
Yeah, Weight has a real shot at making Team Canada....huh?

Weight has a hundred times better chance than Crosby.

I am in disbelief that people are actually discussing this. CROSBY WILL NOT GET A CHANCE TO PLAY PROFESSIONAL INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY AT 17 YEARS OF AGE!!!

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
Van said:

I am in disbelief that people are actually discussing this. CROSBY WILL NOT GET A CHANCE TO PLAY PROFESSIONAL INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY AT 17 YEARS OF AGE!!!

Weight has less of a chance than my 3-year-old Canadian cousin. He's American. :joker:

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
Van said:

Perhaps not International hockey, but didn't Sergei Samsonov play in the IHL at 17 years of age? Or at least, didn't he start out at 17 and turn 18 (in October).

BCCHL inactive

Leetchie said:
Weight has less of a chance than my 3-year-old Canadian cousin. He's American. :joker:

Which fuels my point about Crosby. The kid won't play at WC2004.

And yes, Samsonov did play in the IHL before getting drafted by Boston. That being said, although the IHL had NHL farm clubs, the realistic calibre of the league was somewhere in between the AHL and ECHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Van said:

I agree. I must have missed the part where Crosby received his halo, harps were playing, and sunlight was shining through the stained glass of the Rimouski cathedral, I mean arena. The expectations on this kid from many in this forum is beyond ridiculous.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
I agree. I must have missed the part where Crosby received his halo, harps were playing, and sunlight was shining through the stained glass of the Rimouski cathedral, I mean arena. The expectations on this kid from many in this forum is beyond ridiculous.

EXPECTATIONS? Who on this thread "expects" Sid to play in the next (04) World Cup. I put his chances at 0.087 (not zero) percent and his chances of playing in the 06 Olympics at 50.87 percent (Better than half). When the season started I gave him an 87 percent chance of being top 5 in the Q scoring this year. So far he's blowing away my "expectations"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->