Hockey will soon reach new heights

Status
Not open for further replies.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
I thought this was rather interesting regarding the Canadian Mt. Everest 2005 Expedition, which is going to feature a hockey Game to be played on Mount Everest.

On March 25th, an expedition of Canadian climbers and hikers will set off on an assault on the world’s highest mountain, Mount Everest. When they arrive at base camp at 17,575 feet, they intend to challenge other climbers to a game of shinny hockey on the Khumbu glacier, taking Canadian hockey to new heights. A Russian expedition is planning to be at base camp at the same time and it is hoped to create a 2005 Summit Series. In addition to the game of shinny hockey there will be a hockey skills competition.

Today (March 3rd) in Toronto, the expedition is having a formal send off by Ron Ellis. He will be presenting the group with Team Canada jerseys, autographed by himself and Paul Henderson, to be worn during the "summit" hockey game.
Commenting on the game, Ron Ellis said: “The Team of the Century's amazing victory in 1972 will now be honoured 'on top of the world'.â€

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Freakin' idiots. Several people die every year treating Everest like it's an amusement park ride. How many of these people have actually made the trek before?

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
moneyp asked: How many of these people have actually made the trek before?

I apologise for posting the story, did not mean any offence towards people who engage in mountain climbing. I honestly do not have much knowledge about the subject. Listed below was all the information I could find regarding their experience and who they are, from www.everestnews.com:

The expedition party is being led by Dr. Sean Egan, an accomplished mountaineer and professor in the School of Human Kinetics at the University of Ottawa, and Peter Luk, director, School of Business Management, Ryerson University. Accompanying the climbing expedition for three weeks is a party of hikers that includes senior IT executives from private and public Canadian organizations and leaders from the Ryerson University Business School. The expedition is sponsored by Kanatek Technologies, an independent storage systems integrator with offices in Mississauga and Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad