Hockey wanted in hockey cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retail1LO*

You know...it pains me to see a Stanley Cup hoisted in places like Carolina and Tampa Bay. You can't even find a public rink down there. What percentage of the fans in the south can even skate? I know I'm going off on a tangent...but I'd be so much more comfortable with a cup going to Hartford than one going to Carolina. I don't care if another cup is ever won in the states of Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, or Arizona. Cities like Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hartford have rabid hockey fans. They're all cities without other top professional sports teams in them. The fact that hockey has to compete in the south with a sport where people make left hand turns for 500 miles before ending right where they started...is disgusting. And forget about competing with college football/basketball in the south. Kansas City, Milwaukee/Green Bay, Seattle, Portland, Hartford, Winnipeg, Quebec City...should all have teams before the likes of these other sites. It's hard enough for hockey to ever grab a foothold of different markets when you consider how few of the potential fans ever played the sport as a kid...or were even a fan of it as a kid for that matter. You have to put teams in markets where kids have a chance to play it. I live in the north and the rinks in the Philadelphia area are few and far in between. I can't imagine what youth hockey is like in south Florida. Not only has the NHL expanded into a lot of questionable markets (simply because they're large TV markets), but they've left behind cities with great heritage and history.

The Minnesota North Stars leaving for Dallas...was probably the worst relocation imaginable. I miss all the old jerseys. Most of the new teams have the most hideous colors, logos, and nicknames ever seen on a professional sports team.

*sigh*

puckhead103*

Retail1LO said:
You know...it pains me to see a Stanley Cup hoisted in places like Carolina and Tampa Bay. You can't even find a public rink down there. What percentage of the fans in the south can even skate? I know I'm going off on a tangent...but I'd be so much more comfortable with a cup going to Hartford than one going to Carolina. I don't care if another cup is ever won in the states of Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, or Arizona. Cities like Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hartford have rabid hockey fans. They're all cities without other top professional sports teams in them. The fact that hockey has to compete in the south with a sport where people make left hand turns for 500 miles before ending right where they started...is disgusting. And forget about competing with college football/basketball in the south. Kansas City, Milwaukee/Green Bay, Seattle, Portland, Hartford, Winnipeg, Quebec City...should all have teams before the likes of these other sites. It's hard enough for hockey to ever grab a foothold of different markets when you consider how few of the potential fans ever played the sport as a kid...or were even a fan of it as a kid for that matter. You have to put teams in markets where kids have a chance to play it. I live in the north and the rinks in the Philadelphia area are few and far in between. I can't imagine what youth hockey is like in south Florida. Not only has the NHL expanded into a lot of questionable markets (simply because they're large TV markets), but they've left behind cities with great heritage and history.

The Minnesota North Stars leaving for Dallas...was probably the worst relocation imaginable. I miss all the old jerseys. Most of the new teams have the most hideous colors, logos, and nicknames ever seen on a professional sports team.

*sigh*
the nhl is a business.....

its motivated by the almighty dollar....

u might blame ownership for the reason why this is happening....

it was ownership who wanted expansion and believed the nhl could stand toe to toe with the major sports in the US.....and get that lucrative TV contract like u see in the nba, and nfl...

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Retail1LO said:

*sigh*
:nopity: :deadhorse :whine:

Go :nashville :thrashers :canes :panthers :bolts

Old Hickory

Retail1LO said:

*sigh*
Get over it

Transported Upstater

Wow, congratulations *******, you wrote a one-way ticket to my ignore list with the first post of yours I've ever seen.

Congratulations.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Retail1LO said:

*sigh*

you make good points.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
it's happened, its the way it is.,.get over it.
Besides, I don't think anyone can question how much North Carolina loves their Canes with the crowds those first 2 games, and really the whole playoffs

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Well, this should get ugly in a real hurry.

I'll be off arguing about Luongo's trade value until this whole thing blows over......

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Retail1LO said:
I can't imagine what youth hockey is like in south Florida.

Not as bad as you might think, son. I think it was just last winter the Golden Wolves went up to Toronto and kicked some pansy Canadian *** in a pretty large tournament.

Retail1LO*

LOL

Hey...it's just a thread. I've seen others like it...they get good reactions. I just wanted to stir the pot a little. Expansion definitely isn't the answer to returning to some of these other markets. The question is then...are they just destined never to have teams? I think Winnipeg and Quebec would have been tremendous areas for the NHL to thrive in under the current economic structure. Back before the cap...Winnipeg and QC couldn't compete against a ridiculous free spending team like the Wings or Rangers. I love seeing Edmonton in the final as an 8 seed. I love seeing them there period. I just think that when you're one of the least popular teams sports (not amongst US...but in general)...your best chances are always putting yourself in a spot where you don't have to share much of the spotlight. I've lived in Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Philadelphia. The old Barn in Chicago was amazing, as were the fans. The 1990 team that played against Pittsburgh showed what kind of fans that city has. Wirtz is just a friggin' tight *** that doesn't give a **** about his fans. Still the only team without a contract to televise home games. I don't know how the league allows that. Pittsburgh is amazing too. They deserve a new stadium and certainly hope they don't leave.

By the way...don't think for a minute that it bothers me that there are fans of the southern teams. It's good to see proof of life down there. I just wish there were more of you. Hopefully it's just a matter of time before a team like "Thrashers", "Hurricanes", "Lightning", or "Predators" is said in the same sentence as a Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Bruins, or Canadiens along the lines of a dynasty.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Sotnos said:
I can't believe people sign up for accounts here just to post this crap.

Oh wait, yes I can.

It's Pejorative Slured.

How do we know that, after the 'Canes have been in Carolina as long as the Habs have been in Montreal, that Carolina won't be a "hockey city?"

I know that I keep bringing this up, but apparently Vancouver was "clearly" not a basketball city, as it had to compete with hockey, all the while the Grizzlies posted one of the worst overall records in all of major sports history.

Given a decent enough team and a ten-year committment, and the Grizz stay.

Not giving markets a chance is not only an insult to their existing fanbase that does support the team, but also to the untapped fanbase that is simply in need of some exposure to the sport. I've seen a lot of posters talk about how they got hooked, and it was often, "A buddy of mine took me to a game, and (insert amazed reaction here). I've been a fan ever since."

And demographics are meaningless, as well. Hockey is loved by Indo-Canadians and Asians as much as the white folk, judging by the makeup of the fans in GM place, the bars, the cars with flags (well, okay, maybe not this year ;) ), so it bothers me when people say, "Folks 'down there' aren't 'real' hockey fans."

The condescending "I'm glad they have fans, I just wish there were more of you," is a cop-out, as evidenced by new threads being started if a playoff game isn't sold out three months in advance in a "non-hockey" market. The gleeful joy people get thrashing certain markets is becoming sickening.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Timmy said:
It's Pejorative Slured.

How do we know that, after the 'Canes have been in Carolina as long as the Habs have been in Montreal, that Carolina won't be a "hockey city?"

I know that I keep bringing this up, but apparently Vancouver was "clearly" not a basketball city, as it had to compete with hockey, all the while the Grizzlies posted one of the worst overall records in all of major sports history.

Given a decent enough team and a ten-year committment, and the Grizz stay.

Not giving markets a chance is not only an insult to their existing fanbase that does support the team, but also to the untapped fanbase that is simply in need of some exposure to the sport. I've seen a lot of posters talk about how they got hooked, and it was often, "A buddy of mine took me to a game, and (insert amazed reaction here). I've been a fan ever since."
Makes me remember a quote about fans not showing up "Disgust is not the same as apathy." Pretty much means if a team treats their fans like crap, why should they show up.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Retail1LO said:

*sigh*

In the words of Artie Lange: WAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! WAAAAAAAH!!!!! WAAAAAAH!!!

If it wasn't for teams like the L.A. Kings and the Atlanta Flames, you probably wouldn't have had the sunny side of the street expansion in the 1990s.

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
Retail1LO said:

*sigh*

:canes :thrashers :cbj :panthers :nashville :coyotes :bolts

Get over it. The teams are gone and we have what we have now. :shakehead Go home u crybaby. I also am going to put u on ignore for this unnecessary post.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
vespajet said:
In the words of Artie Lange: WAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! WAAAAAAAH!!!!! WAAAAAAH!!!

If it wasn't for teams like the L.A. Kings and the Atlanta Flames, you probably wouldn't have had the sunny side of the street expansion in the 1990s.
Sometimes I wish the Flames would have stuck in Atlanta and the NHL absorbed the Birmingham Bulls in the merger, because it would have killed the sunbelt bashing years ago.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
If the NHL goes to Winnipeg, Quebec, North Dakota etc. They will truly be thought of as a niche sport.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Retail1LO said:

*sigh*

Dallas has sold out most of the games it has played since it moved there. The team is competitive almost every season and they won a Stanley Cup. Hockey at least from a fan point of view is popular in the city. Minnesota got a new arena built and a new expansion team and in 5 years hasn't missed a single sell-out.

Most of these decisions are about new arenas... more than the fans and especially the TV ratings.

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
I'm here in Connecticut watching this whole thing unfold. And it's nothing against Carolina or its fans at all I just can't stop thinking that if the Whalers ever got to the conference finals ONCE they would still be around. As a kid I dreamed of the Whalers winning the stanley cup..and now I'm seeing it..but they're not my Whalers.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Whalerfan11 said:
I'm here in Connecticut watching this whole thing unfold. And it's nothing against Carolina or its fans at all I just can't stop thinking that if the Whalers ever got to the conference finals ONCE they would still be around. As a kid I dreamed of the Whalers winning the stanley cup..and now I'm seeing it..but they're not my Whalers.
That's a totally understandable point of view in my book. I couldn't imagine if my team was moved and I had to watch them have success elsewhere, and sadly enough that's happened to a lot of fans at this point. I feel for you because that's gotta suck.

What's insulting and arrogant are uninformed people like the thread starter who can't even be bothered to get their facts straight (there are two public rinks within a half hour of me, plenty of youth hockey and adult programs, etc. etc.) and who make NASCAR jokes.

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
If a team is relocated or a warm weather market gets a team, those places have to be given a chance. I firmly believe in that. Once you have the NHL in town, more youth leagues and rinks are bound to sprout up. That does not mean I believe all the moves the NHL has made in the last 15 years have been good ones. Tampa Bay is fine but do 2 teams REALLY need to be in Florida?

There is 1 NHL team in New England (Bruins) and 2 in Florida. I think that should be flip flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad