HOCKEY REF"S PLEAD TO NHLPA...ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
No it hasnt been posted. Thanks alot for the link. Very interesting. I don't think Goodenow will listen to any of it though. Its sad, really.

EDIT: Actually, it was posted 2 minutes before you. But its ok.... :lol

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Just one of the many groups whose livelihoods depend on the game, who has to join the fans on the outside, looking in, silent and ultimately powerless to have any bearing on the outcome of the power struggle that may ultimately destroy the game we all love..... :shakehead

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They haven't received a paycheck since the lockout started five months ago, but all 80 officials agreed beforehand they would not take jobs from other officials by working in other leagues.

Classy. And it should be embarrassing for the NHLPA members who have elected to steal jobs in other leagues.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
It's about time that common sense starts to prevail. Hopefully, a union calling out the NHLPA will receive some hearing from the players and get things to move.

You don't raise your salaries by destroying the industry that generates those salaries, this is just silly. The longer it takes to make a deal, the more the industry gets levelled, which means the more the salaries fall. Where's the self preservation instinct when you need it?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Surprised to read Walkom make these statements, given that his own association's collective bargaining agreement expires in June.

Why would you be surprised? If the industry as a whole suffers for years and years, the refs will also be getting the shaft (in salaries).

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
no13matssundin said:
It is a good read. Thanks for that. :handclap:

Also, from the article, I wonder where Fraser is selling his cabinets? I mean, no one from Toronto or Calgary would buy them. :D
Fraser sells real estate in the TO area :amazed: It's McCreary who builds kitchen cabinets.

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
Smail said:
It's about time that common sense starts to prevail. Hopefully, a union calling out the NHLPA will receive some hearing from the players and get things to move.

You don't raise your salaries by destroying the industry that generates those salaries, this is just silly. The longer it takes to make a deal, the more the industry gets levelled, which means the more the salaries fall. Where's the self preservation instinct when you need it?

:handclap: That pretty much sums it up right there. Good post.

I just gotta think that after reading into something like this that the rummors about how many of the players being POed at the union are probably true.

Optimist*

Smail said:

you said it perfectly.

For the players its their lives, for the owners its just an investment.

The sad part is that if the owners are asking for a small profit and expenses are the same, all the revenue lost will come from players salaries, all of it. Every dollar.
Their like the kamakasis in world war 2. Except theres no war.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
dedalus said:
Classy. And it should be embarrassing for the NHLPA members who have elected to steal jobs in other leagues.

seriously... if we reach a point where the NHL is involving "replacement players" the NHLPA has absolutely nothing to say about it. if they attempt to sit there and sh*t on those guys for coming and playing in the NHL after they've gone into these other leagues they should be ashamed.

if you want to fight the owners and hold the game hostage like this, that is fine. however, don't go and get jobs elsewhere and then expect others not to do the same when offered jobs that should have been yours.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Jester said:
seriously... if we reach a point where the NHL is involving "replacement players" the NHLPA has absolutely nothing to say about it. if they attempt to sit there and sh*t on those guys for coming and playing in the NHL after they've gone into these other leagues they should be ashamed.

if you want to fight the owners and hold the game hostage like this, that is fine. however, don't go and get jobs elsewhere and then expect others not to do the same when offered jobs that should have been yours.

:handclap: My feelings exactly! :yo:

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
i agree with everything said in this thread. particularly about how classy it is of the officials not to steal jobs away from others.

it will be very, very hard to cheer for these ******* players once hockey ever gets going again. it's borderline hatrid at this point, the way they're taking MY game hostage.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Smail said:
Why would you be surprised? If the industry as a whole suffers for years and years, the refs will also be getting the shaft (in salaries).

The NHLOA is hardly in a position of bargaining strength given the circumstances. Walkom is doing his membership a disservice by speaking out at this time.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Smail said:

Well said.

Here's all of Walkom's quotes.

"He's (useless BG) the one with the flexibility. I'm really hoping that the players work hard to get Bob to see that it's time to do something in the short-term that may not be good for the players but is good in the long-term for the industry. Bob has an opportunity right now to do something good for the industry and I believe it's the players' turn to try a different way."

"We understand the reason for the mistrust. We've gone through that."

"What happens if you do this, you give the game back to the fans and the fans come back to the game. If our industry is healthy, and a partnership is broached between the players and the owners, then the focus will be on the players who will benefit for years to come."

"They need to have control of their league back. I think Bob's done a wonderful job for the players, now it's time for him to do something wonderful for the game."

"Our guys are basically unemployed. Our guys are basically covering the bills. That's all we're doing."

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
deathbear said:
i agree with everything said in this thread. particularly about how classy it is of the officials not to steal jobs away from others.

it will be very, very hard to cheer for these ******* players once hockey ever gets going again. it's borderline hatrid at this point, the way they're taking MY game hostage.

I just wonder if any of the players surf into boards like these now and then and read about how the true fans feel about all this garbage. A big part of me sure hopes so. They need to be reading some of the posts here. :shakehead

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
So does this mean Bob Goodenow gets a 10 minute game misconduct?

That is a good point how the players have had it their way for a decade, now they need to let the owners have a little more of their way for a bit. If the players had just taken one for the team earlier on I would have been on their side all the way in the next CBA battle.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
deathbear said:
:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: I remember seeing this profile on McCreary installing kitchen cabinets during the lockout. The refs have been one of the bright spots of this whole thing, not stealing jobs, and taking the high road. Maybe they earned the right for a little input during this whole thing.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
Muleskinner said:
I just wonder if any of the players surf into boards like these now and then and read about how the true fans feel about all this garbage. A big part of me sure hopes so. They need to be reading some of the posts here. :shakehead

yeah no kidding.

i'd love to run into an nhler on the street absolutely blast him from head to toe. especially a cockass like mccabe, pronger or EATON. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!?!?!

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
Bicycle Repairman said:
The NHLOA is hardly in a position of bargaining strength given the circumstances. Walkom is doing his membership a disservice by speaking out at this time.

You know, maybe...just maybe the NHLOA isnt thinking about their bargaining strength at this point. Could it be that the state of the league is why they are speaking out at this time???

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad