Hockey Ratings take a tumble

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
The reason the ratings dropped is because we are afraid if we run into the dog on the way to the bathroom we might take a hooking penalty.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Here's what Bettman should do. First, start calling more penatlies because everyone loves to see goals scored on the power play. Special team battles are always exciting to watch. Second, do anything necessary to increase the number of goals scored because more goals equals more excitement. Third, get rid of fighting all together because when a fight happens no one cheers. Finally, get rid of physical play because no one really likes it and some people get injured.

I said from square one that the "new NHL" won't be successful and with these numbers and the attendence figures it looks like I am right. That being said I still think it's too early to judge it yet.

Artyukhin*

only 1 solution to solve this problem

tighter fitting unforms :)

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
It's the million channel universe

Or too many games on television, I'm undecided.
Last night for example, I had the Sens on Sportsnet the Habs on RDS and after the WHL against Russia on both.
But I'm feeling that in the digital, satellite world we live in now plus the games available via the internet ratings standards are due for a change.
How does me listening to one game on the radio and watching one game on TV affect ratings or using PIP to watch two games at the same time or watching/listening to game on the internet.
We don't live in a one TV per household world anymore and there are so many ways to access games.
I heard a rumour that NBC is about announce a long term deal with NHL. Okay via the "PRIME TIME SPORTS" show, so take it for what it's worth.
I happen to think that ratings standards are about to be adjusted be it sports, sitcoms, dramas or news, just because it's a very competitive media market right now. But with so many bidders, maybe just maybe prices will go up for the broadcast rights?
I refuse to be a Chicken Little about the NHL. Yeah there'll always be strong franchises and weak ones and border line ones. But if the D Rays, Marlins, Royals can survive I'm sure the Isles, Hawks, Blues will too. Just bing back my Expos :sarcasm:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Or too many games on television, I'm undecided.
Last night for example, I had the Sens on Sportsnet the Habs on RDS and after the WHL against Russia on both.
But I'm feeling that in the digital, satellite world we live in now plus the games available via the internet ratings standards are due for a change.
How does me listening to one game on the radio and watching one game on TV affect ratings or using PIP to watch two games at the same time or watching/listening to game on the internet.
We don't live in a one TV per household world anymore and there are so many ways to access games.
I heard a rumour that NBC is about announce a long term deal with NHL. Okay via the "PRIME TIME SPORTS" show, so take it for what it's worth.
I happen to think that ratings standards are about to be adjusted be it sports, sitcoms, dramas or news, just because it's a very competitive media market right now. But with so many bidders, maybe just maybe prices will go up for the broadcast rights?
I refuse to be a Chicken Little about the NHL. Yeah there'll always be strong franchises and weak ones and border line ones. But if the D Rays, Marlins, Royals can survive I'm sure the Isles, Hawks, Blues will too. Just bing back my Expos :sarcasm:

Expos!!!!! In 1994 they had the greatest team that never got to compete.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
only 1 solution to solve this problem

tighter fitting unforms :)

No silly, the solution was the salary cap. Ratings are fine, attendance is fine, everyone can compete, all is well, anyone who tells you different is just a selfish, ignorant, apologist for Bob Goodenow.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Oh, my countries pride is at stake, I must defend :sarcasm:

How is that defending? That just means Canadians live simple lives and hockey is the only thing there. Hockey is popular because it has no competition. ;)

(CFL doesn't count. I mean major leagues.)

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
How is that defending? That just means Canadians live simple lives and hockey is the only thing there. Hockey is popular because it has no competition. ;)

(CFL doesn't count. I mean major leagues.)

That, or hockey has no competition because it's so popular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad