Hockey Ratings in NY really, really low...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIsles1*

[url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spwatch134585992jan13,0,617583.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists[/url]

NBC: One more shot with NHL

Numbers are down compared with 2003-04 for all three local teams, who have rated from a high of 0.54 for the Rangers on MSG to a dismal 0.13 for both the Isles and Devils on FSNY. It is not much better on OLN, the league's new national cable home, which averages 0.2.

Without getting technical, those numbers are really, really low.

GhostofKenKlee

NYIsles1 said:
[url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spwatch134585992jan13,0,617583.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists[/url]

Numbers are down compared with 2003-04 for all three local teams, who have rated from a high of 0.54 for the Rangers on MSG to a dismal 0.13 for both the Isles and Devils on FSNY. It is not much better on OLN, the league's new national cable home, which averages 0.2.

Does the casual fan know that hockey is back on?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
NYIsles1 said:

I don't think the Islanders and Devils ever got fantastic ratings to begin with anyway, plus you have to consider that OLN doesn't reach nearly as many households as ESPN. I'm curious how TV ratings are for the other teams around the country - if they are similarly down across the board as well.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Irish Blues said:
I don't think the Islanders and Devils ever got fantastic ratings to begin with anyway, plus you have to consider that OLN doesn't reach nearly as many households as ESPN. I'm curious how TV ratings are for the other teams around the country - if they are similarly down across the board as well.

With OLN, it isn't just the reach, it is the fact that even for those of us who have it, it is channel #122. Who the heck even looks at the channels that high? If you didn't know a game was on you wouldn't find it.

I'd be curious to see how the Isles/Devils/Rangers ratings compare to the Knicks/Nets. I am sure the Knicks are much higher, but have no idea about the Nets.

Also, it doesn't say if those #s are just NYC or include Long Island and Northern New Jersey, the actual homes of the Isles/Devils.

NYIsles1*

Irish Blues said:

Isles and Devils television rights are owned by Cablevision and they go all out to restrict coverage to sell their own team and pay huge money
(300m Isles until 2030/12-15m per year Devils for about twenty years)
for that priviledge. Also FSN simply has no hockey programming beyond the game and do not even stick around long enough to cover the coaches press conferences after games like they did before the lockout and do no special programming. Until this year for close to seven years there was not a single Isles-Devils preseason game on television and of course that game was only to feature James Dolan's team.

On TWC if the games are on FSN-2/MSG-2 the game (Islander, Ranger or Devil) is not even listed in the television guide before that Dolan's disasterous Metro channel
was not available locally and fans of all three teams would be shut-out when games played on that network.

Msg practically spams Knicks/Rangers now that they lost baseball to a point WFAN was killing them yesterday more than they could talk about Messier or show his press conference live (which is a shame) and still with a winning team their ratings are down on their own network.

To give an example of how far things have fallen Rangers 2005-06 number for television on Msg is lower than Sportschannel's Islander television ratings now when Howard Milstein owned the team in the mid-90's.

Bottom line, baseball's enormous here and it killed the hockey media market, Dolan helped that by failing to market all three teams he owns and in the end he hurt his own product (and the New York Hockey ratings) by doing so, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Irish Blues said:

Yesterday's LA Times noted that OLN is barely registering 0.2 average. For the LA basin, something like 4,000 people watched the OLN games per night...

NHL is relying on the cross promoting OLN via NBC via the Olympics. It considers next year with a more stable schedule and fixing the kinks in the cable tiers as a better indicator.

While I find this stuff interesting, at the end of the day, I really don't care whether the NHL draws 0.2 or a 14.2. If it's on MY tv that's all that matters. The more people that pay attention = more 'casual' fans, more floaters, more interest in tickets, and more money out of my pocket to pay for the demand.

Like I always have said about this cable/network tv deal information, do you pay LESS for your tickets because the MLB and NFL have enourmous tv contracts? Didn't think so. Are these contracts assisting with offsetting the annual increase in ticket prices? Nope. This money goes to: (1) the teams/owners, AND (2) the players. That's it. Fans do not benefit one iota monetarily from these deals [nor should they either].

Really, that should be the only concern to fans beyond having 'x' number of games on tv per week b/c you are already receiving your local broadcast.

No One

Dec 1, 2003
Staples Center
Visit site
I haven't been able to find the ratings for the Kings and Ducks, yet.

However, in the L.A. Times on Jan 12, it was reported that only 4000 out of 16.5 million homes in L.A. have tuned into the OLN broadcasts.

baston

Nov 25, 2005
Quebec City
Last time I checked, R.D.S. in Montreal (when the team was hot) = higher than 1 million every game ... on a population of 7 000 000.

Those L.A. numbers are killing me ...

How can an NHL team not survive in Quebec City when tv ratngs are so low in places like New Jersey ...

:madfire:

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
According to Comcast Cable in Central NJ, they don't carry any MSG-2 games in my area because of the lack of demand. Therefore, even though, I am blacked out on Center Ice (because this is considered the NY market), the ratings are so low here, I can't get a Rangers game if the Knicks are playing at the same time.

NYIsles1*

Leslie Treff said:
According to Comcast Cable in Central NJ, they don't carry any MSG-2 games in my area because of the lack of demand. Therefore, even though, I am blacked out on Center Ice (because this is considered the NY market), the ratings are so low here, I can't get a Rangers game if the Knicks are playing at the same time.

What's interesting in New York (Time Warner Digital) is if a game is FSN-2/MSG-2
they do not even put the game in the cableguide so you have no idea it's even on unless your a hockey die-hard looking for it. Even worse if the Isles, Rangers or Devils are playing one another Time Warner blacks out that game on FSN-2 and forces you to watch Msg or Fsn (both Isles and Rangers fans were stuck with opposing announcers at both Coliseum games) because one game the Devils were on FSN and the Knicks were on Msg.

Less exposure=lower ratings.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
blitzkriegs said:
Y

While I find this stuff interesting, at the end of the day, I really don't care whether the NHL draws 0.2 or a 14.2. If it's on MY tv that's all that matters. The more people that pay attention = more 'casual' fans, more floaters, more interest in tickets, and more money out of my pocket to pay for the demand.

Like I always have said about this cable/network tv deal information, do you pay LESS for your tickets because the MLB and NFL have enourmous tv contracts? Didn't think so. Are these contracts assisting with offsetting the annual increase in ticket prices? Nope. This money goes to: (1) the teams/owners, AND (2) the players. That's it. Fans do not benefit one iota monetarily from these deals [nor should they either].

Really, that should be the only concern to fans beyond having 'x' number of games on tv per week b/c you are already receiving your local broadcast.

Indeed. People flipping out at low ratings and whining about ways to make the game more popular and attract casual fans just make me laugh.
If hockey's not popular in your region, it may not be on TV much, but at least you can go to games for a pretty damn good price. And hey, there's always centre ice... you can get centre ice for a year for the same amount of money it costs to go to one leafs game in a decent seat.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
At least all of the games are available in Devils and Isles hotspots. I NEVER received the Metro channel.

And frankly, I could care less about how the game does in the ratings. I've stopped fighting ratings fights since Arrested Development got cancelled.

All in all, FSN is up 35% in the ratings across the board for the NHL from 03-04. Teams like Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Nashville are up big.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
.54 isn't that low for hockey ratings in America. .13 is pretty low though. (well they are both low but thats hockey in the US for you)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Josetheodore said:
Does the casual fan know that hockey is back on?

Most of them didn't even know there was a lockout....

SlapnutsV1

Nov 28, 2005
Denver, CO
Another problem is that Comcast does not offer OLN on their basic package (at least not here). You have to subscribe to digital cable to get OLN.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
go kim johnsson 514 said:
No...it's a 5 rating locally on OLN. Which must include like half of the state because that means 6 million people are watching and there isn't 6 million people in Buffalo

I'm pretty sure he's referring to MSG Sabre game ratings as Adelphia doesn't carry OLN on basic cable and the numbers wouldn't be high.

Clearly the rating has something to do with market size because the Panthers game had a 24 in Buffalo. It must be proportional.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MLH said:
I'm pretty sure he's referring to MSG Sabre game ratings as Adelphia doesn't carry OLN on basic cable and the numbers wouldn't be high.

Clearly the rating has something to do with market size because the Panthers game had a 24 in Buffalo. It must be proportional.

I probably misinterpreted it then

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
go kim johnsson 514 said:
No...it's a 5 rating locally on OLN. Which must include like half of the state because that means 6 million people are watching and there isn't 6 million people in Buffalo
I think you might be confused about the meaning of a rating point. A 5.0 rating in any context (local or national) simply means that 5% of television homes were tuned to that program (in this case, 5% of television homes in the Buffalo market). (A 5.0 is a pretty good local rating for regular season hockey.)

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Here are the top 5 cable Nielsen numbers from Nov.7-13, 2005 to get an idea of what the top programs received nationally:

Program, Network, Total U.S.Household Rating, Total Viewers

1 NFL: Browns-Steelers; ESPN; 6.6; 9,820,000
2 SpongeBob; NICK; 4.5; 7,934,000
3 SpongeBob; NICK; 3.5; 5,473,000
3 SpongeBob; NICK; 3.5; 5,607,000
5 Col Ftball: Auburn-Georgia; ESPN; 3.2; 4,850,000

NYIsles1 said:
Msg practically spams Knicks/Rangers now that they lost baseball...
If I hear the name "Nate Robinson" one more time, I am going to go insane!

baston said:
How can an NHL team not survive in Quebec City when tv ratngs are so low in places like New Jersey ...
It doesn't matter what ratings are. What matters is the revenue. It's all about the greenbacks.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
No One said:
However, in the L.A. Times on Jan 12, it was reported that only 4000 out of 16.5 million homes in L.A. have tuned into the OLN broadcasts.

I can't believe that, no way can it be that low. It's gotta be a misprint.

There's just too many hockey fans, ex-Canadians, fans of other teams etc around for the number to be that low.

Ogopogo*

NYIsles1 said:

Who cares what the TV ratings are? Do high ratings put a better game on the ice? Do higher ratings lower ticket prices? Do higher ratings do anything for fans of the NHL?

No.

High ratings just means more money for the owners and players to divide. TV ratings don't affect my enjoyment of the NHL.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
PecaFan said:
I can't believe that, no way can it be that low. It's gotta be a misprint.

There's just too many hockey fans, ex-Canadians, fans of other teams etc around for the number to be that low.
I don't find it that surprising at all. I'm a huge hockey fan and I've only seen one game on OLN. I watch all my local games on FSN, which is probably what most Kings fans do and all other games I watch on Center Ice, which again is what I imagine most hockey fans in LA are doing. I admit I've only seen one game but damn OLN really sucks. Talk about a mom and pop type production only without the charm. Yuck, I'm not surprised at all people are passing it up. Between Center Ice and FSN, I'm satisfied. btw...here in Phoenix, OLN is not part of the basic or even extended cable package (COX), which makes it pretty much obsolete. No one would think to seek out hockey on the OUTDOOR LIFE NETWORK. Those that would are fans who know to just choose Center Ice if they want to pay to watch hockey.
My two cents anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->