Hockey players-turned-Politicians (Kerry, Dryden, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I know of only two politicians who were hockey players: Ken Dryden, one of the NHL greats in net, is presently a member of Parliament in Canada; and John Kerry, forward on century-old hockey-playing tradition-filled St. Paul's varsity team, is running for U.S. President.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=merron/kerry/040726

"He was the kind of guy ... you know what a 'rink turn' is? When the puck starts going the other way, you're supposed to jam on the brakes and sprint back. If you're lazy, you don't stop and start; you do a rink turn. And John was the kind of guy that would do rink turns. But he'd sort of look cool doing it. And he was a good stick handler, and a good passer -- when he wanted to pass."

What other politicians used to play the greatest game on earth?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Bob Kilger (Chad's father) is a former NHL ref and former liberal mp for Cornwall, ON.

Chartrand

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
VanIslander said:
I know of only two politicians who were hockey players: Ken Dryden, one of the NHL greats in net, is presently a member of Parliament in Canada; and John Kerry, forward on century-old hockey-playing tradition-filled St. Paul's varsity team, is running for U.S. President.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=merron/kerry/040726

"He was the kind of guy ... you know what a 'rink turn' is? When the puck starts going the other way, you're supposed to jam on the brakes and sprint back. If you're lazy, you don't stop and start; you do a rink turn. And John was the kind of guy that would do rink turns. But he'd sort of look cool doing it. And he was a good stick handler, and a good passer -- when he wanted to pass."

What other politicians used to play the greatest game on earth?

Interesting.

I drive by St. Paul's every day. :jump:

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Lionel Conacher was a federal MP. Dugger McNeil, who played on defence for the Montreal Royals was a provincial rep in Nova Scotia in the 60s.

Bruce Hood was a candidate in the most recent federal election but I think he went down to defeat.

Quebec premier, Jean Charest's father, Red, played in the QSHL and, I think in the AHL.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Syl Apps Sr.

"In 1947 he was appointed the athletic commissioner for sport in Ontario. Later he became a Conservative member of the Legislature, representing Kingston. Apps was chairman of the select committee on youth until appointed Correctional Services minister in 1971."

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
John Kerry was DISPISED by his teammates in high school, because he would NOT pass the puck, and when playing on the ponds, would steal little kids' pucks or shoot them way out in the snow so they would leave. Nice. His nickname was JFK: Just For Kerry, because he was such a puckhog. He never advanced past high school hockey, but he still plays it when the photo op is there, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->