Hockey pants too loose - but the right length!

shaneg91

May 8, 2018
Hi everyone,

First post here, so please be kind! I've done a search but can't really find anything that answers my specific question.

I'm just starting to learn as an adult, and I'm getting my gear together slowly. I bought some hockey pants the other day but I'm not sure they're the right size. I bought CCM QLT 270s because they were on sale. I tried on a few sizes, but my quads/thighs are quite long but I'm pretty lanky in general. I ended up getting Large, because the length is right (down to the very top of my knee) but they are quiteloose fitting around the thigh and look pretty ridiculous.

Anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone have any recommendations for pants made for lanky tall people, or fits that are more "slim" fit, if that makes sense?

Thanks!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The QLTs are supposed to be the most form fitting line from CCM. One thing you could try is going down a size and use the length adjustment feature on the pants to make them longer and see if that works for you.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Lots of Squats and lunges my friend.......

(If you go down a size and adjust, make sure the padding lines up with what it's supposed to be protecting though...)

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
You're probably in need of suspenders. I'm the same way, 6'4, 192 pounds so I need a large. I don't use suspenders though, but I could. I'm gonna sell my 20K Reebok pants soon and snag the new CCM Jetspeed FT1 pants when they come out on the 25th this month. Want to move to a lighter and more tighter fitting pant.

shaneg91

May 8, 2018
The QLTs are supposed to be the most form fitting line from CCM. One thing you could try is going down a size and use the length adjustment feature on the pants to make them longer and see if that works for you.

Thanks for the reply. I did read that somewhere as well... I also read that CCM tends to fit more on the traditional side and Bauer/Reebok more on the form-fitting and slimmer side. I'm always a slim fit for regular clothing, and although these QLTs seem to be fine on length (perfect, actually), and on the waist, they're just pretty wide at the bottom.

I think the Mediums might be perfect but can't seem to find them anywhere! I guess they're an older model pant from last year or the year before. My choices were small or large as I snagged them on sale. I'm wondering if I can figure out a workaround to cinch the legs in a bit by attaching some velcro or something.

shaneg91

May 8, 2018
Lots of Squats and lunges my friend.......

(If you go down a size and adjust, make sure the padding lines up with what it's supposed to be protecting though...)

Thanks for the reply. Haha! Squatting and leg presses are indeed a definite answer to bulk those legs up, but I'd need to add about 3 inches to the circumference of my quads to solve this "too loose" at the bottom of the leg issue ;)

shaneg91

May 8, 2018
You're probably in need of suspenders. I'm the same way, 6'4, 192 pounds so I need a large. I don't use suspenders though, but I could. I'm gonna sell my 20K Reebok pants soon and snag the new CCM Jetspeed FT1 pants when they come out on the 25th this month. Want to move to a lighter and more tighter fitting pant.

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably going to get some suspenders for sure. I got these large QLTs on sale yesterday, and my choice was that or small size. They're actually perfect on the length (even without the +1 inch extender) and definitely aren't too loose around the waist when tightened up - I'm not worried so much about them falling down. They are just really baggy and loose around the bottom of the leg, so there's lots of space for a puck to bounce up and go right up my thigh, and they look pretty ridiculous. Admittedly I wasn't trying them on with shinpads, so they might look a little less ridiculous with some extra bulk on around the knee. Or I might see if I can modify them with velcro or something to just taper them in around the bottom so they're not so loose. Size medium would be perfect but I can't find those on sale anywhere.

I read about the Jetspeeds coming out - it's so annoying that it's on the 25th! My program begins next Monday so I need some pants for then. They're supposed to be a bit slimmer right? It's a struggle being tall and lanky - even finding regular clothes that fit is a pain. I'm 6'2 and around 165lbs. Working on getting those legs bulked up but that's a long term solution ;)

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I also read that CCM tends to fit more on the traditional side and Bauer/Reebok more on the form-fitting and slimmer side.

It depends on the line. Bauer has three pant lines, Nexus, Supreme, and Vapor. The Nexus has a wider fit, the Vapor line is the slimiest fit, and the Supreme line is somewhere in between. Like I said the QLT is the slim fit line for CCM, which should be similar to the Bauer Vapor line.

If finding a medium in CCMs isn't possible, maybe see if they have anything mediums in the Bauer Vapor line for you to at least try on.

shaneg91

May 8, 2018
It depends on the line. Bauer has three pant lines, Nexus, Supreme, and Vapor. The Nexus has a wider fit, the Vapor line is the slimiest fit, and the Supreme line is somewhere in between. Like I said the QLT is the slim fit line for CCM, which should be similar to the Bauer Vapor line.

If finding a medium in CCMs isn't possible, maybe see if they have anything mediums in the Bauer Vapor line for you to at least try on.
Awesome advice, thanks. I'll see if I can try some Bauer Vapors today and find some used/on sale. At least to see if it's a better fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad