Hockey mom wants daughter allowed in boys' change room

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerNut*

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawa....html?id=2aa28604-33b0-4d73-951f-1e5d56eb62f4

Basically what the story says is that the daughters mother feels as though her daughter should be allowed to be in the same dressing room as the guys.

I think its complete ********, I happen to play rec hockey and after and before the game there are guys walking around the locker room nude, showering, getting changed, etc. How can you feel comfortable doing that when there are girls in there as well?

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
OilerNut said:
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawa....html?id=2aa28604-33b0-4d73-951f-1e5d56eb62f4

Basically what the story says is that the daughters mother feels as though her daughter should be allowed to be in the same dressing room as the guys.

I think its complete ********, I happen to play rec hockey and after and before the game there are guys walking around the locker room nude, showering, getting changed, etc. How can you feel comfortable doing that when there are girls in there as well?
I'm not sure what to make of this. If the dress code is followed i don't see the problem. I have been to the beach and there really is nothing left to the imagination there. Looks like it will be a ruckus.

OilerNut*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I'm not sure what to make of this. If the dress code is followed i don't see the problem. I have been to the beach and there really is nothing left to the imagination there. Looks like it will be a ruckus.

This isn't the beach though, people don't get changed on the beach or have showers on the beach.

OilerNut*

And what happens when one of the boys makes a sexual remark towards the girl or decide to 'show' her something.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
OilerNut said:
And what happens when one of the boys makes a sexual remark towards the girl or decide to 'show' her something.
I would imagine they may have pre season meetings about making it work and what will happen if you go outside the boundaries. You would need a strong personality running this team. If the management team is good you have no problems.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
The hockey locker room or any sports locker room is not a place where normal social decorum is followed. The boys would be open to a lot of liability if they let a girl into the locker room. Even if she seems okay with it, you never know how far you could push the envelope before she would claim she was harassed.

Its a very sensitive situation to be sure, but I think seperate locker rooms are the better move.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
PACaptain said:
The hockey locker room or any sports locker room is not a place where normal social decorum is followed. The boys would be open to a lot of liability if they let a girl into the locker room. Even if she seems okay with it, you never know how far you could push the envelope before she would claim she was harassed.

Its a very sensitive situation to be sure, but I think seperate locker rooms are the better move.
Its certainly easier, especially if seperate change rooms are not a big hassle. Some arenas are ill equiped though.

OilerNut*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Its certainly easier, especially if seperate change rooms are not a big hassle. Some arenas are ill equiped though.

Most decent arenas have female locker rooms.

canadahockeygirl*

I think you guys need to get out of the 1950's.

As long as I can remember, I've changed in the same locker rooms with guys. They've always walked around however they wanted, said whatever they've said and it's never been a big deal for me or any other female I know that grew up playing guys hockey OR the guys we've played with. It's no more a liability than if she were to change in a locker room with girls.

OilerNut*

canadahockeygirl said:
I think you guys need to get out of the 1950's.

As long as I can remember, I've changed in the same locker rooms with guys. They've always walked around however they wanted, said whatever they've said and it's never been a big deal for me or any other female I know that grew up playing guys hockey OR the guys we've played with. It's no more a liability than if she were to change in a locker room with girls.

I think you need to get your head out of the sand if you think the guys act the same with girls as they do with guys.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Maybe the coaches could do the coaching on the ice, and/or there could be a "No stripping down" rule between periods. If anyone does want to strip down, theres stalls, right?

canadahockeygirl*

OilerNut said:
I think you need to get your head out of the sand if you think the guys act the same with girls as they do with guys.
I've been in a locker room with them for the better part of twenty years. The only difference is now the men do'nt wave their schlongs in my face as they walk by. Everything else is the same.

You tell me what your experience as a woman in a mens' locker room is.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
canadahockeygirl said:
I've been in a locker room with them for the better part of twenty years. The only difference is now the men do'nt wave their schlongs in my face as they walk by. Everything else is the same.

You tell me what your experience as a woman in a mens' locker room is.

I played with a girl in high school and it was almost an even bigger hit to camradarie when she would come in the locker room because everyone would change their behavior. The argument that they miss out on team bonding by changing in another room is flawed because of the changes that would occur if a woman changed with the men. It would have to be a very special girl for all of this to go off without a hitch.

I was just thinking about what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot, but there is no way I or any man would be able to change in a woman's locker room. Not for hockey. Not for soccer. Not for anything.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
PACaptain said:
I played with a girl in high school and it was almost an even bigger hit to camradarie when she would come in the locker room because everyone would change their behavior. The argument that they miss out on team bonding by changing in another room is flawed because of the changes that would occur if a woman changed with the men. It would have to be a very special girl for all of this to go off without a hitch.

I was just thinking about what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot, but there is no way I or any man would be able to change in a woman's locker room. Not for hockey. Not for soccer. Not for anything.

agree completely. If a team changes its entire personality in the dressing room over a girl being there or ANYONE for that matter, that person shouldnt be there.

Im by no means sexist, but i really find this type of scenerio to really be one sided. if i was on a girls hockey team ( which i would never be able to be on) would they let me in there locker room? never. you could even relate this situation to Gays being allowed to marry in a church. If we let gays form there own religion so that they could get married in there church, would they let a straight couple wed in there church? not a chance. CASE CLOSED.

canadahockeygirl*

Maybe the guys I knew weren't as immature and it didn't bother them as much. Either that or they were used to girls being around since girls hockey wasn't big when I was growing up and if you wanted to play, it had to be with the guys. Now I just prefer mens hockey to womens hockey since womens hockey is a joke.

The only time I haven't been in a guys locker room were during prep school hockey and when I played college, where the teams had their own locker rooms and there were actually girls teams. But the entire time, I still played mens hockey.

I see your point about some guys acting different, but I still think it's BS and not like that in every situation unless you're 13 and attracted to the chick. Probably about as much BS as comparing letting women in the locker room to gays getting married in church.

devilsfan26

Jul 10, 2003
Iselin/Piscataway NJ
Theres a few girls in the house league I played in and they changed in the same locker room as the guys, it was no big deal. Everyone always keeps their boxers on and take their showers at home, though.

BCCHL inactive

As a minor hockey coach, absolutely not. This is not about "getting out of the 1950's", it is about protecting everybody involved...the girls from any possible abuse, the guys on the team from letting their hormones control them (in minor hockey, especially peewee and up, you know it's going to happen), and the coaches, parents and governing bodies from liability for any possible abuse.

The locker room is the place where the guys on the team can be themselves, they can talk how they want, etc. If you include a girl into the room, censorship on content and language is re-introduced.

Rules here in minor hockey, are that the guys must have t-shirts and all bottom equipment on before the girls may enter, wearing the same minimum amount of gear. That's the way it should be.

acr*

If I had a 14 year old daughter, no way in hell would I let her anywhere near that lockerroom.

OilerNut*

Van said:
As a minor hockey coach, absolutely not. This is not about "getting out of the 1950's", it is about protecting everybody involved...the girls from any possible abuse, the guys on the team from letting their hormones control them (in minor hockey, especially peewee and up, you know it's going to happen), and the coaches, parents and governing bodies from liability for any possible abuse.

The locker room is the place where the guys on the team can be themselves, they can talk how they want, etc. If you include a girl into the room, censorship on content and language is re-introduced.

Rules here in minor hockey, are that the guys must have t-shirts and all bottom equipment on before the girls may enter, wearing the same minimum amount of gear. That's the way it should be.

Good point, a lone girl in a locker room full of guys is just begging for problems. Next thing you know girls will be coming out to say they were forced to undress in front of the whole team, and who knows if she is telling the truth or not?

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I don't know what her mom's trying to do. If I was a parent, I wouldn't want my little girl sharing a dressing room with 20 other boys. It's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->