Hockey in Raleigh

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Hey All! I am sorry if there is another thread for this or an OT thread discussing it, but I did not see it so I am starting this one.

As the title suggests, I have moved back to Raleigh after living in Charlotte for a bit over a year. Since being back I have run up against a wall trying to get on a hockey team. I signed up for the house team at the Apex roller hockey place, but the team didnt get enough people and they cancelled us.

On top of that, the team I played for in Wake Forest before I left is not playing right now and is on the waitlist as a team to get back into their league.

I am hoping that someone on here is on a team and might need a skater. Full/Part time or sub basis. Roller or ice. Any skill level, advanced to beginner.

I figured I would start here since I know a few guys have mentioned living in the area and playing with some Ranger fans could be cool. If nothing I will likely move to the Hurricanes board. If this thread is inappropriate I ask that it gets moved as a post to the correct thread if that is possible. Thanks everybody!

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I live in a suburb of Raleigh and have been looking for a kids floor hockey or intro to roller hockey for my 6 year old son with no luck so far. It seems like I can pay out the nose for ice skating lessons, or nothing.

Of course Raleigh is less affordable than ever to live in.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I think XL Sports World in Apex has some youth programs. I am not sure how far it is from you, but it seems like the best/only option for Roller/Floor. They also have indoor soccer and lacrosse if your kid is interested in that.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I moved to Charlotte from the Raleigh area in 2006, so this might be old information and I have no idea if these places even exist.

I signed up to play at the Cary Ice House and also had games in Garner. I played a few seasons on a team sponsored by Cisco, then another 2 on an team that picked up stragglers.

I don’t know if those rinks still exist.

I am aware that it is more difficult to find a place to play and doing things as a single isn’t easy (one thing I especially didn’t like about the Triangle in general).

Reactions: MrAlmost

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I live in a suburb of Raleigh and have been looking for a kids floor hockey or intro to roller hockey for my 6 year old son with no luck so far. It seems like I can pay out the nose for ice skating lessons, or nothing.

Of course Raleigh is less affordable than ever to live in.
If he’s never played official ice hockey before USA Hockey gives free gear for kids who sign up to play which is a tremendous saving. Ice hockey itself is still costly of course. Obviously it’s much easier in the NYC area but my son plays on the ‘junior Rangers’, it’s for 6-10 (he started at 7)and costs 395 a session (includes ten 1 hour games plus 10 practice/skills sessions), and I gave him separate group skating lessons when he started out last year which really allowed him to get the most out of the hockey. We’ve also been playing at home since he’s 4 using baby ring stackers as a sliding puck on wood or tile floors, which really raised his stick skills and taught him puck control. He’s light years ahead of anyone his age because of stick skills, and better than most older kids in his group too. His skating is only above average but continuing to improve. Most importantly, he absolutely loves it.

Reactions: mas0764

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad