Hockey In Kenya

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
VERY nice!

I wonder why the rink is so small? It only looks 100x50 when normal is 200x80. It's great to hear Africans say ice hockey is their favorite game and they have so much passion for it!

I wonder if that's the only ice rink in sub Saharan Africa outside South Africa?

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Pretty cool! It would have to be really hard to have good ice in such a hot country as Kenya. I wonder what their trick is for creating ice in that kind of weather.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
The video is awesome and very emotional. It always makes me feel good to know and learn about such things in different regions - I always loved how people become surprised when they hear we also have a professional league. Unlike basketball and football, there is some kind of a "brotherhood" among hockey fans, especially in countries where hockey is not well-known. It's like bumping into your friend in the spaceship with which aliens abducted you.

That being said, this video does not depict hockey in Kenya, sadly... Playing at a hotel rink? That's even more than "luxury" for Kenyan people. Let alone Africans, even people in rich countries probably could not afford that. Moreover, due to climate, it's impossible to have open or tent-like ice rinks in Kenya. I am not sure if anyone is willing to invest in an indoor ice rink either; the costs are high and almost nobody will play there.

This is the problem with hockey: it's too much dependent on economics. If you want to improve in a city, first you have to make sure that the people there have the money for ice hockey. There is no other solution. Even if you fill the whole city with free ice rinks, they will have to buy gear at some point to keep playing. Unless the world turns upside down, I really can't see Kenya doing much more than that in hockey... There a few countries in Africa with potential though; like South Africa, Algeria etc. You can expect one or two tricks from them.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The video is awesome and very emotional. It always makes me feel good to know and learn about such things in different regions - I always loved how people become surprised when they hear we also have a professional league. Unlike basketball and football, there is some kind of a "brotherhood" among hockey fans, especially in countries where hockey is not well-known. It's like bumping into your friend in the spaceship with which aliens abducted you.

That being said, this video does not depict hockey in Kenya, sadly... Playing at a hotel rink? That's even more than "luxury" for Kenyan people. Let alone Africans, even people in rich countries probably could not afford that. Moreover, due to climate, it's impossible to have open or tent-like ice rinks in Kenya. I am not sure if anyone is willing to invest in an indoor ice rink either; the costs are high and almost nobody will play there.

This is the problem with hockey: it's too much dependent on economics. If you want to improve in a city, first you have to make sure that the people there have the money for ice hockey. There is no other solution. Even if you fill the whole city with free ice rinks, they will have to buy gear at some point to keep playing. Unless the world turns upside down, I really can't see Kenya doing much more than that in hockey... There a few countries in Africa with potential though; like South Africa, Algeria etc. You can expect one or two tricks from them.

This is the norm throughout Asia the middle east and now Africa.

Most ice rinks are either in a hotel or in a mall.

I don't know what you mean by luxury?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Interesting how they kept the white guy out of the shot most of the time xD

What are the odds Iginla is involved in this? Being a kenyan-canadian.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I would think there's at least 1 or 2 rinks in Nigeria. If look at videos of Lagos it's amazing how modern it's become. I'm pretty sure it's the biggest city in sub saharan Africa.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Besides the financial aspect, I would think the refrigeration aspect alone would make it popular.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
The main issues with building rinks in sub sahara is probably power, and power lines. A well insulated rink in Europe would use about 650 000 kwh to operate for 9 months, but would recycle the heat for the dressing rooms etc. Checking power prices in Kenya, the electricity bill would be over 70 000 USD in the best case scenario

I don't know how well the power infrastructure in Kenya is, but I assume there is only a limited amount of places there that could handle that kind of power usage anyway

IDeyChopNaira*

I would think there's at least 1 or 2 rinks in Nigeria. If look at videos of Lagos it's amazing how modern it's become. I'm pretty sure it's the biggest city in sub saharan Africa.

Yes Lagos is probably even bigger than Cairo now. However:
If you go to Lagos, you will see the power cuts, cars queuing for fuel, bad roads etc/ Not really modern eh? Never came across a skating rink in Lagos. They all play football there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad