Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by stv11, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Beville

Beville #ForTheBoys

Linesman
    It's alright

We've closed another rink, this time in the Isle of Wight where I "learnt my trade" as a Player then a Ref.

It's a shame.

and the more rink's that close, the less chance we get at developing the better Team GB.

2. 3 Minute Minor

3 Minute Minor Registered User

No offence but I don't think the Isle of Wight rink closing is going to damage the development of the GB program...

They're a D2/3 U15/U18 program and the couple years they spent in U16 D1 they were regularly destroyed by double digits every game.

It's unfortunate and I'm sure the Isle of Wight hockey community will be hurting but there's no point in overselling the impact of closing this rink.

3. ukyote

ukyote User, Interrupted

Interesting comment. So do you think, on balance, the ISL damaged hockey in this country? I used to go to Knights games and go to the odd Streatham game now (live a 10 min bus journey away), but other than that I only really follow Team GB and nothing else. Maybe my expectations were set too high from years ago... I hadn't thought of it in those terms really.

4. Beville

Beville #ForTheBoys

Linesman
    I like how you bold "and the more rink's that close, the less chance we get at developing the better Team GB." and go on about the Island being rubbish for players...

I'm not saying we developed Superstars, but we've certainly got a few playing overseas - Sophie Herbert comes to mind as playing for Team GB... Yes it's womens hockey, but I won't take that away from her.

The fact of the matter is, another rink is closing in the UK - Less rinks = Less talent.

5. 3 Minute Minor

3 Minute Minor Registered User

The logic you're using is still flawed. Less rinks = less talent doesn't add up.

According to IIHF, Latvia has 19 rinks. They compete at the highest level at every men's event & have multiple NHLers that have represented their country.

It sucks when these little rinks close but it's far from a major problem in British hockey. The issues are far greater than the amount of rinks.

6. Simpo

Simpo Registered User

With the recent announcement that NHL players will not be going to the Olympics, that leaves Premier Sports as the only place to see the highest standard of hockey.

No casual, or even semi-interested hockey fan is going to catch McDavid, Matthews, anyone on TV, or online, and become a fan and grow the sport over here.

Such a sad state of affairs, and so short-sighted by the NHL.

7. amoboko

amoboko Registered User

I like watching and attending games in the UK, after a good brawl both players can come back and fight more if needed

8. Danmark

Danmark Registered User

Is Scott Conway, Brett Perlini and Jackson Whistle eligible to play for the national team?

9. FrHockeyFan

FrHockeyFan Registered User

The rule for dual-nats is two consecutives and uninterrupted seasons playing in the said country (min. 16 months period) after the age of 10. So, per Eliteprospects, Perlini is eligible, Whistle will be at the end of the current season and Conway is most likely but I'm not 100% sure.

10. ukyote

ukyote User, Interrupted

Was watching the Spengler cup final earlier on Freesports. They were saying they have signed a five year deal to show GB games on free to air... for the first time in history!

Not sure if that's accurate but it's great that they'll be showing live games for anyone with a Freeview box.

11. BMann

BMann Registered User

Should Liam Kirk decide to move abroad ? Challenge himself further and get more exposure at a higher standard of hockey & dare I say it better coaching.