Hockey History Books

member 83027

THN published a little piece on my collection a few years back in their magazine (which has only grown since then) and it was appropriately titled “Hockey Hoarder.” :laugh:

2.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That’s a great quality scan of the piece. Thanks for that!

.... thats awesome. Nice & clean, neatly stacked. I knew a guy who for whatever reasons collected newspapers, like the JFK Assassination issues, MLK, Bobby Kennedy, Moonwalk etc from the NY Times to the Washington Post & just on & on & on.... & My God, his place was totally psycho though he himself seemingly pretty normal, laid back. Full issues of these papers... "Elvis Dead".... you name it.... all yellowed in some cases... floor to ceiling & all lopsided, like tunnels leading to rooms equally stacked & packed floor to ceiling wall-wall. Big place too, 3000 sq ft house, upscale area... If his neighbors only knew. No wife of course... said he had pets, cat & dog but good luck with that. Prolly starved to death, sealed in somewhere... remains petrified. :(

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I knew a guy who for whatever reasons collected newspapers, like the JFK Assassination issues, MLK, Bobby Kennedy, Moonwalk etc from the NY Times to the Washington Post & just on & on & on ... said he had pets, cat & dog but good luck with that. Prolly starved to death, sealed in somewhere... remains petrified. :(
He should've had birds instead. Plenty of material to line the cage bottoms.

Reactions: Killion

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hate to do this to all you fine folks, but back on topic ...

I just finished Greg Oliver's Father Bauer and the Great Experiment: The Genesis of Canadian Olympic Hockey. The author presents an excellent biography of a man whose influence both on the Canadian game and the young men who played for their country lasts to this day. Though he relies liberally on stories & quotes from media sources during the timeline of the story, Oliver's writing style is so smooth and seamless that I wasn't distracted from the storyline by the numerous insertions. My only complaint about the book is that it seemed the last few chapters were hurriedly constructed, making the ending feel forced for the purpose of publication. But as an historical record of Father David Bauer's contributions to modern-day Canadian hockey and the political forces that shaped (and often misshaped) the amateur game from the 1960s into the 1980s, this book is well worth including on a hockey fan's reading list.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Neither did I until a week ago! As soon as I saw it online I wondered how the heck I didn’t hear about it. And thanks!

Ya, quite the history.... in 1939 crossing the Atlantic from the UK at like 12, the ship he was on with his mother, the Athenia, torpedoed by a German U-Boat with over 100 losing their lives. Young Billy there out bobbing around in the inky black expanses in a lifeboat... then in 1952 he contracted Polio..... guys medical record thereafter reads like a horror story... had an interesting insurance policy... got paid by the stitch.... and between that & various other & sundry broken bones.... I didnt know about any of that when he was playing but he caught my eye at a young age... very very solid, rugged, dependable..... so yes, should make for a great read.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Guys, I just purchased The Trail Of The Stanley Cup - Volumes 1, 2, 3.

Not the leatherbound editions..and no dust jackets, but I’m ridiculously excited to get these. The holy grail of hockey history books. :D

Everything else on my to-read list has just been pushed to the side until all 3 volumes are read cover to cover.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Guys, I just purchased The Trail Of The Stanley Cup - Volumes 1, 2, 3.

Not the leatherbound editions..and no dust jackets, but I’m ridiculously excited to get these. The holy grail of hockey history books. :D

Everything else on my to-read list has just been pushed to the side until all 3 volumes are read cover to cover.

.... thrift store score? :D

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
... I worry about you Hf18..... and the rate yer goin.... sure hope you & the Mrs like Ramen Noodles....

:laugh: Ramen Noodles and TV Dinners for a few weeks but at least I’ll have some great reading material. As for the Mrs, she’s pretty much at the “do whatever the hell you want with your own money” point. Which is good..I think? :D

Reactions: Killion

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I just finished a surprisingly entertaining & easy to read book, GOON: The True Story of an Unlikely Journey into Minor League Hockey, by Doug Smith and Adam Frattasio. Smith didn't ice skate or play hockey until his late teens, starting instead as an amateur boxer who eventually parlayed those skills (and very few others) into a series of short appearances on rosters around North America as a minor league rent-a-goon. Unlike the slick presentations and too-often academic tones of similar books like "Slap Shot Original" and "The Code," Smith & Frattasio offer a far more simple and unassuming story of a guy who admits his only purpose and joy in the game of hockey was to fight the best fighter on the opposing team. I seldom finish a hockey player biography with a complete feeling of respect for the subject player, but this one was an exception.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
Hey guys

I've read through a few hockey books and biographies, and I'm looking for something good that I haven't read. Preferably non-fiction. Here are the ones I've read

The Game by Ken Dryden

Winning: Nothing Else, Patrick Roy by Michel Roy

99 Stories of the Game by Wayne Gretzky

Jeremy Roenick biography

Theo Fleury book

The Game of Our Lives by Peter Gzowski

Boy On Ice: The Life and Death of Derek Boogaard

Tough Guy by Bob Probert

Do you guys recommend any other books?

Reactions: Chili and Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hey guys

I've read through a few hockey books and biographies, and I'm looking for something good that I haven't read. Preferably non-fiction. Here are the ones I've read

The Game by Ken Dryden

Winning: Nothing Else, Patrick Roy by Michel Roy

99 Stories of the Game by Wayne Gretzky

Jeremy Roenick biography

Theo Fleury book

The Game of Our Lives by Peter Gzowski

Boy On Ice: The Life and Death of Derek Boogaard

Tough Guy by Bob Probert

Do you guys recommend any other books?

Well, looks like you enjoy books about outliers a bit huh? Probert & Boogaard, gone before their time... Theo Fleury story.... Roenick, always outspoken.... so just a couple though there are more in that vein, I think you'd enjoy...

Crossing the Line; The Outrageous Story of a Hockey Original (Derek Sanderson)
Gross Misconduct; The Life of Spinner Spencer (Brian Spencer, by Martin O'Malley)

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hey guys

I've read through a few hockey books and biographies, and I'm looking for something good that I haven't read. Preferably non-fiction. ... Do you guys recommend any other books?
Well, there's GOON about minor-league fighter Doug Smith (see my post right above yours).

Continuing the theme ...
  • Slap Shot Original, by Dave Hanson
  • In The Bin, by Lloyd Freeberg
  • Calling The Shots, by Bruce Hood
Alternate views from marginal players of the game ...
  • Odd Man Rush, by Bill Keenan
  • Tales From The Bus Leagues, by Jamie McKinven
  • Tales of a First-Round Nothing, by Terry Ryan
  • Chasing the Dream, by Ted Starkey
  • Journeyman, by Sean Pronger
  • One Night Only, by Ken Reid
On more serious topics ...
  • Sudden Death – The Incredible Saga of the 1986 Swift Current Broncos, by Leesa Culp et.al.
  • Eleven Seconds: A Story of Tragedy, Courage, and Triumph, by Travis Roy
  • Breaking The Ice: The Black Experience in Professional Hockey, by Cecil Harris
And (currently) my five favorite hockey books. a mix of hockey history & unique perspectives from participants and fans of the game ...
  • Home Ice: Reflections on Backyard Rinks and Frozen Ponds, by Jack Falla
  • Putting a Roof on Winter: Hockey's Rise from Sports to Spectacle, by Michael McKinley
  • Tropic of Hockey: My Search for the Game in Unlikely Places, by Dave Bidini
  • The Stick: A history, a celebration, an elegy, by Bruce Dowbiggin
  • Hockey Towns: Stories of Small Town Hockey in Canada, by Bill Boyd

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Dude, you're fantastic. I can see it now - bachelor pad, clothes in a ball in the corner, Doritos in the cupboard, and hockey mags in pristine condition in all of your dresser drawers. :hockey:

You guys can understand now why a house was in the cards! The collection was seriously outgrowing the drawers and shelves in the apartment. :laugh:

Plus, we needed more room for clothes..;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad