Hockey Hip-Hop & Rap? New Approach to Advertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Snoop Dogg - Gin & Juice video

dumpnchase said:
alright this is may sound a bit off the wall. but how about the nhl advertise in rap videos.

just follow me on this....

Hip hop apparel is largely based on sports teams, specifically basketball, baseball, and of course football. But i have yet to see a snoop or ludacris video where they're wearing hockey jerseys. I see the A's, Raiders, lakers but no sharks or rangers (and on a side note, the maple leafs might want to add a few more leaves to their logo, that might attract more people).

So i say lets have the NHL heads throw some money to have hip hop artists wear hockey jerseys in their videos, thats the best advertisement you can get. Just imagine people open up the inlay card of big boi's new album and bam! they see him wearing a thrashers jersey.

Lets face it the NHL's 'We Believe In Hockey' thing is mind numbingly Pejorative Slured, and all that sun tzu hockey warrior stuff....i mean come on! its pathetic. So why not use more subtle approaches to advertisement?

oh and by the way, from now on i think jaromir jagr should wear an 8 inch clock medallion around his neck and refer to himself as "Jaar-OOO Jaar", it sounds a lot cooler.

Wearing the Penguins Jersey

I believe it wasn't named or numbered, but I'm not sure.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
pld459666 said:
Wearing the Penguins Jersey

I believe it wasn't named or numbered, but I'm not sure.

it had something on the back and the #94

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
During the early 90's the rappers were wearing them all the time. I recall many but Naughty by Nature wearing Devils jersey come to mind.
Maestro wore a Leaf jersey

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
i don't know how effective it would be, but i think it's worth a shot. anything to try to grow the sport. maybe set some commercials to "heavier" beats and popular songs, i don't know.

p.s. a lot of people posting in this thread come off as very racist

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
To begin, the comment on the '99% white demographic of the sport' is somewhat ill-stated. Sure the majority of hockey fans are white, but I see no real correlation between that and their taste in music. A large portion of rap / hiphop albums are bought by white people --- and coming from a hockey player, any kind of uptempo music is good for a hockey game, whether it be rap, rock, or even techno. Moreover, Rock is...well dead. People moan and complain about MTV not playing anymore rock and only playing rap, hip hop, and forms of R&B, but there is a reason for this, there is a bigger market for hip hop out there!! Though I enjoy a good rock song once in a while, I am much more fond of a song that will make me want to get up and dance, or something I could listen to while being active. I can't think of any nickelback songs I'd want to listen to while taking a jog or warming up for a hockey game, but if you open up to Camron's Purple haze CD, there are at least 5 tracks in the first 10 that could be considered uptempo. That being said, I think the NHL taking a more hip-hop oriented approach to things would do a world of difference for the game. Though some older fans may become disenchanted with the new, changing face of the game, a number of new fans will come in and will easily replace them.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The NHL could do well for itself to embrace hip-hop culture givne the way the NBA has tried to do everything possible to denigrate it. It could open up a new market and bring a lot more exposure.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Why dont we get rid of the ice, put in a floor, get rid of hockey nets, put in basketball hoops, get rid of the black puck for an orange ball too.

:confused: I have no idea how getting hip hop artists to wear NHL jerseys is somehow going to result in the NHL turning into basketball. No one is even suggesting the slightest change to the game here, they are just suggesting marketing the sport, as it is, to a demographic that the NHL has not traditionally gone after.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
discostu said:
:confused: I have no idea how getting hip hop artists to wear NHL jerseys is somehow going to result in the NHL turning into basketball. No one is even suggesting the slightest change to the game here, they are just suggesting marketing the sport, as it is, to a demographic that the NHL has not traditionally gone after.

Don't you know that basketball is the only sport black people (and therefore anyone who likes hip-hop, since we all know only black people listen to it) follow? :sarcasm:

Honestly, this thread gives a pretty good indication of how out-of-touch a lot of hockey fans are.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Atlanta will be the bridge of hip hop to the NHL.

1.) The NBA Hawks are horrible. They will be for years. The Thrashers will be a vehicle for Atlanta's music industry bandwagoneers. Usher won't just be the guy showing you where your seats are.

2.) Lil Jon goes to Thrashers games, and his son plays hockey. The Thrashers let him do a promo with the Cup, and they recorded him doing a "Get Louder" promo for the jumbotron.

3.) Kari Lehtonen has the Outkast logo on the chin of his mask.

4.) Plenty of non-whites go to the games in Metro Atlanta, play hockey, or follow the game. Total opposite situation from my experiences following hockey in Boston.

5.) If only Atlanta had signed (or will sign?) Anson Carter, who has a hip hop label, this would be a slam-dunk...er, an empty-netter.

6.) Atlanta forces their players and staff to be the most accessible in the league. If you don't have a kid who plays hockey, you can go to Duluth GA and watch Hossa as if he was your pee-wee player, and then talk to him in the parking lot afterwards.

7.) Large roller-skating culture among black population in Atlanta - there just needs to be a rink near downtown. Someday...

8.) Lil Jon is on board. All they need now is one of Big Boi, Andre, Ludacris, or Jermaine Dupruis (sp?).

9.) The same ownership owns the Hawks and the Thrashers. It makes it so much easier for them to market across demographics.

10.) I played pickup with Outkast on the PA. It was pretty cool.

11.) The Thrashers' Third Jerseys are off da hook! :)

GWhale*

I don't even know who Lil Jon is, but the best approach to get an obviously unreached fan base is to build rinks in densely populated depressed urban areas, like is being done in Hartford. http://www.trincoll.edu/AboutTrinity/News_Events/releases/complex/

[IMAGE]http://www.trincoll.edu/NR/rdonlyres/E54B1F90-8883-4471-9CBD-A5F36EF92F00/0/Feb3.jpg[/IMAGE]

That's much better and more sound approach than paying some rapper to wear a jersey in a video...

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
GWhale said:
I don't even know who Lil Jon is, but the best approach to get an obviously unreached fan base is to build rinks in densely populated depressed urban areas, like is being done in Hartford. http://www.trincoll.edu/AboutTrinity/News_Events/releases/complex/

[IMAGE]http://www.trincoll.edu/NR/rdonlyres/E54B1F90-8883-4471-9CBD-A5F36EF92F00/0/Feb3.jpg[/IMAGE]

That's much better and more sound approach than paying some rapper to wear a jersey in a video...

LOL!!! Shameless plug for hartford :sarcasm:

By the way, anyone watch the braves game last night? The commentators were talking about the Thrashers and how everyone is talking about them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Epsilon said:
The NHL could do well for itself to embrace hip-hop culture givne the way the NBA has tried to do everything possible to denigrate it. It could open up a new market and bring a lot more exposure.

or the NBA is smart enough to stay away.

FangFingers

Apr 6, 2005
Personally, I hate rap music and hip hop. The NHL promoting that crud would make me less likely to attend an NHL game.

Its not that im racist - I just dont relate. Its mostly not in any English that I can decipher, I didnt grow up in the ghetto, dealing crack, smoking chronic, dodging drive-by bullets, and trying to get as many biatches and ho's as I can while looking to bust a cap in any of the crypts who wont step off my baby's momma.

No thank you. Ill keep the Good Old Hockey Song. Even if it means my sport isnt "cool" among a certain demographic.

And the Thrashers' 3rd jersey is an abomination - could they possibly jam any more different colors on that thing?

Here's a new thought, how about the NHL decides to promote hockey...period.

Those generic NHL Red team vs Black team spots look like some unlicensed sports drink commercial. And, as if thats not bad enough, they decide to play them mostly during hockey games - where the people who are watching are already hockey fans.

The NHL is fine, not even the most optimistic could have predicted the success its having coming off the lockout year.

GWhale*

PortlandRanger said:
LOL!!! Shameless plug for hartford :sarcasm:

By the way, anyone watch the braves game last night? The commentators were talking about the Thrashers and how everyone is talking about them.

No, I was plugging the project though, I suppose. I even donated money to it because I liked it so much. It will also be the closest rink to me now.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
GWhale said:
No, I was plugging the project though, I suppose. I even donated money to it because I liked it so much. It will also be the closest rink to me now.
:clap:

Alain Racette

Jun 18, 2005
No, let's not go the way of the NBA and go with Hip-Hop/Rap. PLEASE. The NBA has image problems as it is; the NHL doesn't need their own. And besides, 99% of NHLers are white, so I don't think it would fly too well (not to mention the predominatly white demographic).

And I AM NOT racist. A strong grassroots program trumps any effort to endorse the NHL through rap. Dallas is a shining example of strong local, grassroots support and their program is one of the best of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->