Hockey has divided Canada - Canadians Cheering Against Team Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hart_House_Ca said:
Notice how the majority of the people defending this team is from Western Canada. Isn't that ironic?

Go ahead and list who you think should make the team. 13 forwards, 7 D, 2 goalies.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Hart_House_Ca said:
I feel there is a need to discuss the other side of canadians who feel the disbelief of the complete bias towards the selection of team WHL, I mean team Canada.

I know there are a lot of canadians who will be cheering for Team Canada. But I have a feeling there will be a few more cheering against them.

I love Canada, but like many other canadians, I dont' think this team is representative of true Canadians. Maybe sutter did select the best Canadians but to shun all of canada from even having a chance to compete for jobs is just a slap to the face. We're not asking to make it a fair selection but my god, how can you be blatantly bias toward the selection.

All 4 goalies from the WHL. Are you telling me there was not one goalie from the other two leagues capable of competing for jobs.

Dylan hunter was probably the biggest shocker. I also have a strong feeling that the remainder of the cuts will be from the OHL and QMJHL.

I can't say I will be cheering for fully for team Canada. But I will have a huge smile on my face if Team Canada does lose.

I hope when the Q gets in charge of the junior program, that they dont' select one player from the WHL. And when the OHL is in charge, I hope they dont' select one player from the WHL.

Hockey will divide Canada if it already hasn't.

So if/when this team wins we can count on you not being happy and cheering. We'll keep that in mind. Fair weather fans like you and PEIi make me sick. Should we have a player from each province and territory just so the team represents "all of Canada" as ytou want.
The team that pulls on the jersey is Canada's team.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
CanoeRider said:
and people wonder why the West wants to separate from the East? Because there are some real winners(sarcasm) there

If we could separate the mountains from the rest of Canada, we would. Didn't celine dion have a song named: "love can move mountains"? Where is celion dion when you need her.....

Kessick

Dec 25, 2003
Hockey Universe, ON
Visit site
If the best players are out West, I don't see what the matter is. As for this 'dividing a nation' - they're all freakin Canadians at the end of the day. I'll still be cheering for them to bring home gold, it's been too long.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
If we could separate the mountains from the rest of Canada, we would. Didn't celine dion have a song love can move mountains? Where is celion dion when you need her.....
who would?
this is interesting :shakehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hart_House_Ca said:
I feel there is a need to discuss the other side of canadians who feel the disbelief of the complete bias towards the selection of team WHL, I mean team Canada.

I know there are a lot of canadians who will be cheering for Team Canada. But I have a feeling there will be a few more cheering against them.

I love Canada, but like many other canadians, I dont' think this team is representative of true Canadians. Maybe sutter did select the best Canadians but to shun all of canada from even having a chance to compete for jobs is just a slap to the face. We're not asking to make it a fair selection but my god, how can you be blatantly bias toward the selection.

All 4 goalies from the WHL. Are you telling me there was not one goalie from the other two leagues capable of competing for jobs.

Dylan hunter was probably the biggest shocker. I also have a strong feeling that the remainder of the cuts will be from the OHL and QMJHL.

I can't say I will be cheering for fully for team Canada. But I will have a huge smile on my face if Team Canada does lose.

I hope when the Q gets in charge of the junior program, that they dont' select one player from the WHL. And when the OHL is in charge, I hope they dont' select one player from the WHL.

Hockey will divide Canada if it already hasn't.

What a load of crap. The WHL-heavy roster is based on a few factors:

1) The WHL has far and away the best talent base right now, whether you like it or not. Look at the result in the Canada-Russia series. In last year's draft there were 8 Canadian WHL players taken in the first round, and 2 from the QHL and QMJHL put together. In the last two drafts, there are 9 WHL defenders who were #1 picks and are eligible for this tourney. 0 from the OHL and QMJHL combined. Who did you think was going to make up the majority of the squad?

2) The coach is from the WHL, and the rosters are always skewed toward the league represented by the head coach. This is no different when the coach is from the OHL or the QMJHL - there are always a couple extra favourites from the coaches home league that he's familiar with. Stephen Dixon was one last year.

3) Two OHL-trained players are being withheld from the tourney by their NHL clubs, which makes the OHL contingent look smaller than it really should by all rights.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Hart_House_Ca said:
Notice how the majority of the people defending this team is from Western Canada. Isn't that ironic?

And notice the only people bashing the selections are from the East. Wow!!!!! Irony!!! Last time I checked there was no rule that states we need 7 players from each of the 3 leagues in the CHL and then one token NCAA player. That means the coach is free to take the players he fells will make the best TEAM!!! Instead of just bashing the selections why don't you step up to the plate and post your line-up. Or re you afraid it might get picked apart.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
I'm just waiting for the OHL and Q to be in charge. I don't expect to see any WHL players on team canada for 2 years. Every 3rd year we might see a WHL player.

Seeing as nearly all the top prospects nowadays (especially defensemen) are from the Dub, I don't think this will be happening. We very well could see an all-WHL back-end next year as well.

Bob Nicolson should be fired. Why is Hockey Canada in Calgary when all the hockey players are in Eastern Canada? Who lives in Calgary? This is sowing the seeds in eastern Canada to break up hockey Canada. I predict in the near future two governing bodies in canadian hockey. A split in hockey canada is what we need.

Because that is where this country's Olympic headquarters are and therefore many national programs are based here. And all the plaeyrs are in Eastern Canada? Are you freaking kidding me?!?

Mountain Dude

Hart_House_Ca said:
If we could separate the mountains from the rest of Canada, we would. Didn't celine dion have a song named: "love can move mountains"? Where is celion dion when you need her.....

You're the absolute typical Toronto fan.

Maybe we went with WHL guys this year primarily to mix it up, we haven't won in 3 years, its time for a change.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:

Well, actually, it would only be ironic if the players were all fromt he O and the Q. What a typically Eastern view of irony

*please note that Allanis Morrisette is from Ottawa

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Roughneck said:
And all the plaeyrs are in Eastern Canada? Are you freaking kidding me?!?

Take a list of all the registered hockey players in Canada and tell me what you find?
Take a list of Canada's population and tell me what you find out. That might be a little easier for you to do.

Ontario & Quebec.

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
Hart_House_Ca said:
Bob Nicolson should be fired. Why is Hockey Canada in Calgary when all the hockey players are in Eastern Canada? Who lives in Calgary? This is sowing the seeds in eastern Canada to break up hockey Canada. I predict in the near future two governing bodies in canadian hockey. A split in hockey canada is what we need..

Hmm this reminds me a little bit of 1996 on a smaller scale..How about Canada has a referendum on it..Oui or Non?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:

Wow. You want Canada to send a good team, but want to eliminate the provinces that are providing the majority of the players. Let's see Canada win this tournament without a WHL player, because there is no way in hell they would do it. Not to mention any of the national teams.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Hart_House_Ca said:
Take a list of all the registered hockey players in Canada and tell me what you find?
Take a list of Canada's population and tell me what you find out. That might be a little easier for you to do.

Ontario & Quebec.

registered players doesn't mean the best players.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
Hart_House_Ca said:

Ontario & Quebec.
I'm from Ontario... but cmon...

Please. Stop. Now.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:

Ontario & Quebec.

um ok we get it. more PEOPLE live in Ontario and Quebec. Are you saying that every national organization should be based in one of those 2 provinces as a result (actually you probably are saying that :shakehead )

Hockey Canada has a long standing history in Calgary, this city has proudly supported the program for years--and its not as if there are a preponderance of WHL players on the team ever year. If you think Sutter as coach has something to do with the team this year, I agree....but hockey Canada being based in Calgary is not the reason

anyways...in the first round of the 2004 draft this year, there were 8 kids from the WHL and 2 kids from the BCHL taken....one from the QMJHL...is that Brent Sutter's fault too? or Bob Nicholson's? or let me guess, Ralph Klein maybe? :dunno:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:

Ontario & Quebec.

Lets look at Canada's national team

Jarome Iginla, Joe Sakic, Shane Doan, Scott Niedermayer, Eric Brewer, Robyn Regehr, Scott Hannan, Patrick Marleau, Jay Bouwmeester, Wade Redden, Paul Kariya, Ryan Smyth. Would be pretty hard to win without these guys now wouldn't it.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
theredmile said:
registered players doesn't mean the best players.

Please pay close attention to my comments. The majority of hockey players are from Eastern Canada...... Thus Hockey Canada should be located where all the players are.

Mountain Dude

Hart_House_Ca said:
Please pay close attention to my comments. The majority of hockey players are from Eastern Canada...... Thus Hockey Canada should be located where all the players are.

You're just a homer, and thats all there is too it. Who cares what league they play in, they're Canadian. Just because the West is better right now doesn't mean that the whole country should divide because of it.

You're the problem, not the WHL.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:

why?
honestly. why?

and besides majority and all are not the same thing.

Mountain Dude

Roughneck said:

Jarome Iginla, Joe Sakic, Shane Doan, Scott Niedermayer, Eric Brewer, Robyn Regehr, Scott Hannan, Patrick Marleau, Jay Bouwmeester, Wade Redden, Paul Kariya, Ryan Smyth. Would be pretty hard to win without these guys now wouldn't it.

Add Heately to that list.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Roughneck said:

Why don't we look at the best players of all time the best players currently in the NHL. And the majority of them are not from western Canada.

There are just way too many to name it would be laughable just comparing it to your short list. lol

These players you mention should never have been selected to team Canada. They only got on team canada from internal connections such as wayne gretzky and kevin low.

Shane Doan, Eric Brewer, Robyn Regehr, Scott Hannan, Patrick Marleau, Wade Redden, Ryan Smyth.

Those players aren't even close to the best players in Canada.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Apparently this is turning out to be a pissing contest between NHL players from Ontario and Quebec vs Western Canada.

I find it hilarious that they even try to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad