Hockey Hall Of Fame Score: a Score of a HHOFer or a Score for a Player's Case.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
To put it simply, I love seeing players HHOF Inductions. I love seeing a hockey player's hardwork, through their career, and then in the end, making the HHOF. But now, I wonder, how did that player make the HHOF? How good was his Career? How does it compare to other players? Now to be fair, this new stat I made, Hockey Hall of Fame Score [HHOFS for short], should be not taken as the sole reason for a player's induction. Just like you should not say that "[Insert PS Leader Here] should win the Hart because he led the league in Point Shares". However, this can be made as sort of a summary of a Player's HHOF Case. For Example: "[Drew Doughty] has won a Norris Trophy, Two Stanley Cups, Two Olympic Gold Medals and Has an O.HHOFS [Explained later] of 28.99."
Here is my Equation:
Unofficial (NHL) HHOF Score (Skaters):
PS/82 Games (Equation: (PS/Career GP) * 82) * 1.0_(All Star Game Appearances*3) * 1.0_(Awards other than Hart Trophies * 5) *1.0_(Top 20 Award Votes other than 1st place [or top 2 in terms of All-Star Teams] * 1) * 1.Hart Trophies * 1.Stanley Cups

Unofficial (NHL) HHOF Scores (Goalies):
(Same equation except ASG is 1.0(x*5), and Awards are 1.0(x*7))

Official (NHL and Olympics) HHOF Score (Skaters and Goalies):
U.HHOFS * 1.0_(International Tournament Appearances * 2) * 1.0_(Olympic Games Appearances * 5) * 1.0_(International Tournament Medals * 6)

To add on to the Drew Doughty Example Above (fyi: 18.43 is his U.HHOFS), Here are 2 HHOFers's HHOFS
Mike Modano, Forward, NHL Star, 1 Individual Award: U.HHOFS of 12.52, O.HHOFS of 19.71.
Ken Dryden, Goaltending Legend: U.HHOFS of 48.67, O.HHOFS of 55.20

This Does not combine Everything. Really, it just shows how successful a player was in terms of awards. For a HHOF Case, I would suggest to put a player's U.HHOFS and O.HHOFS along side his Stats and maybe his Post Season Success as well as HHOFS only shows Postseason success from cups and Conn Smythes... and make sure you have his games played beside it also possibly.

Unlike Hockey PER, this stat was not made for fun, but for Curiosity. I was curious, and I wanted to use this for future Stat outlooks I might do. There is one thing that this stat has similarities to Hockey PER, Though. It's not perfect but it's a good start.
-BlueBull

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Ultimately, what needs to be exhibited is a cut-off where the probability of induction is very high when a player is above that cut-off, and where the probability of induction is very low when a player is below that cut-off. If you want your measure to catch on with others, I'd recommend demonstrating that.

(And your formula appears to have too many "*" signs and not enough "+" signs.)

Iain Fyffe has an "Inductinator" which does this decently well. Two relevant articles:

Hockey Prospectus | Up and Coming: Inductinator on Forwards

Hockey Prospectus | Up and Coming: The Inductinator on Defensemen

Last edited:
Reactions: trentmccleary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->