Hockey Giant >>>>>>>> Hockey Monkey

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Totalhockey doesn't have real time updated stock on their site and they'll try to sell you just about anything and outright lie to recover a lost sale. HG and HM employees are idiots, don't believe me? Call them and ask a question about something they sell, if the answer isn't in the product description they can't answer it.

You can say the same thing about many retail stores. I am a golfer and when I go to some of the retail stores the employees don't know anything about the product other than what they read.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I hate the way the Hockeymonkey site is laid out. Sometimes I just want to browse gloves (or whatever) without picking a manufacturer. Is that even possible on HM?

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I was thinking about ordering gear online, but my question is what sites ship to Canada?
I have heard some don't send products up north.

Most won't because if they don't have a retail store in Canada they can lose their status as a dealer. It's not policies implemented by the store, it's from the manufacturer. The point of it, as well as MAP is to help keep LHSs in business. It costs more to sell a product in Canada(taxes/duties) so the prices are higher, if they didn't regulate international shipping there would be little incentive to buy from Canadian shops.

The same goes for other countries as well so don't feel bad. In fact, Canada has it good compared to everyone overseas. Last I heard old top of the line OPSs in Australia are priced at approx. $500 USD.

Placebo Effect

Mar 7, 2007
Your Mind
+1 vote for icewarehouse. Good stuff! Total Hockey was alright but they screwed up a bit of my order as well. I wanted 1.5" white tape, somehow got regular 1" black tape. Rest of the order was fine. I was on vacation so couldn't get an exchange so just returned tape.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
This may be true(I will NEVER go to Hockey Giant)

But Hockey Monkey is much better with what they have in stock. And if youre out here, go to HM, HG employees dont care about customers

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I haven't had any problems with Hockey Monkey. I wouldn't mind trying another site if I can find 1 other site that sells TPS sticks... I love my Nash curve.

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
HockeyMonkey may have IT issues, but I always found that they always had better selection. This is a few years back, but does that still hold true?

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Haven't dealt with either other than browsing. But I have to say the amount of reviews on Hockey Giant is great when it comes to thinking about getting some new gear.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Totalhockey doesn't have real time updated stock on their site and they'll try to sell you just about anything and outright lie to recover a lost sale. HG and HM employees are idiots, don't believe me? Call them and ask a question about something they sell, if the answer isn't in the product description they can't answer it.

Wow that is ridiculous

Total Hockey is WORSE than Hockey Monkey, from my experience. They messed up 4 orders, one being something that was backordered, then I was told it would be in stock in 2 weeks, then told again another 2 weeks. That was the last straw. I said cancel it, I'll buy it elsewhere. They offered me 10% off my next order and I told them they can keep it, I'll be buying my products elsewhere.

If you can't get your website to work properly with your inventory in this day and age, you shouldn't be in business. The only reason places like HM and TH stay in business, is because people will put up with it. Speak with your wallet. That's the only way things change.

yeah so far TH has been good to me I've also ordered from perani's Hockey world and Have never had a problem with them either

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I recommend Ice Warehouse. Awesome guys to deal with and most of them play, so they aren't full of crap. They also have great prices.

Rush22*

Ice Warehouse is hands down the best online retailer for gear. I live in Illinois, very close to the shipping outlet for Total Hockey, and I still give my business to IW because they ship faster and have better customer service even though they are across the country from me.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Years ago I had a pair of tackla pants shipped from hockeydawgz.com
Don't remember the exact shipping cost but do remember they would ship by method other than UPS (UPS charges insane "brokerage" fees for Canadians) and the pants were a very good price at the time.

Also some blank jerseys shipped from Perani's (www.hockeyworld.com). They were also good.

Tally hockey jerseys was good to deal with (sell only jerseys and not gear) - not sure if got from their website or if they were selling on ebay.

Never ordered from any of the big sites yet. Hope some other Canadians will chime in on their experiences and if they will ship to Canada, what is excluded if they do, and how the shipping and other associated costs were. Seems like the nation that cares the most for hockey doesn't get anywhere near the deals they do south of 49.

One canadian site that sells just hockey socks (can custom make them) is modelline hockey socks - good to deal with; got a few pairs from them.
Rivercity just sells jerseys, shirts, etc. - sometimes you can find deals but most of the regular priced stuff is quite expensive.

I was thinking about ordering gear online, but my question is what sites ship to Canada?
I have heard some don't send products up north.

KingNothing4

Sep 10, 2009
Basement of Staples
Well even after reading this thread, I decided to go with HM because of price. I placed my oreder Tuesday and was called Saturday and told they only had one of the blades I wanted. I thought of this thread and was just like ahhh of couse I didn't listen. Closed Sunday, so called them Monday (yesterday) @ about 1pm and they were asking what I wanted to change, just told them to knock it down to one blade and one shaft. Now I was expecting to use my crap stick another game as it said 5-7 business days when originally ordered.

Original order was 12/7, my updated order was on my step the 12/14 (today), putting it @ 5 business days from original order even after I had to change it. I was pleasantly surprised :)

TLM1212

Jun 9, 2023
Ordered a bunch of equipment from Hockey Giant and Hockey Monkey..... both on the same day.

Hockey Giant processes the order immediately and ships it out the next day. Four days later, I get a call from Hockey Monkey at 7 in the morning waking me up to tell me that the discounted item I ordered from them is not in stock and that I would have to substitute the item for another one at full price.

If you have a choice, go with Hockey Giant. Great customer service and efficient operation. Hockey Monkey, on the other hand, doesn't really care about

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Hockey Monkey >>>>>> Pure Hockey when it comes to a retail location however. Pure Hockey pushes the “Bauer is your only option unless you want custom” garbage. Hockey Monkey has sizes that are for wider feet. On a somewhat related note, one has a left lazy eye and the other right when it comes to sharpening.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I feel like brick and mortar HM and PH on on par with each other, at least my local ones in SoCal. It was odd to me that PH didnt' carry the RibCor line of skates, but HM did. Also some subtle differences I noticed too. PH doesn't carry Tacki-Mac grips, but HM does. I wish PH did, as I frequent them more than HM. I'm sure there are more differences, but thats all I've noticed.

Also, the PH rewards/loyalty program is great. HM has no such program.

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad