"Hockey gear and manufacturers that don't exist anymore" thread

Duffman

Nov 15, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
No. The very 1st move Reebok made was to drop Jofa and Koho. They branded the best items of the two as rbk. They took almost all new CCM products and put rbk logo on them (helmets, for instance).That is how rbk got on top. Now rbk is re branded as Reebok.

I read somewhere on thegoaliestore message boards that Reebok is bringing back the Koho name (I couldn't find the thread) and that Hiller actually wears a new Koho line of pads.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
CHIMO, Northland, Western, Red Titan turbo sticks(Bossy)
Ferland 3300(Best gloves ever IMO), Rawlings, D&R golves
Daoust skates with perfecta blade, Adidas skates

what did happen to brands like Northland and Victoriaville, Ferland?

did they get bought out, or collapsed in the 80s?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Ive seen NHL players on tv with jofa stuff,
like i saw ovie with jofa elbow pads, do they just make it especially for him or what

I know Hal Gill still uses a set of Jofa shoulder pads, but I think it's just another example of a player having old gear that's they're not willing to give up because there's nothing out there right now that's comparable.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
what did happen to brands like Northland and Victoriaville, Ferland?

did they get bought out, or collapsed in the 80s?

I would kill for a pair of Ferland "mitten" gloves. Except for the thumb, they put the other 4 fingers together. While it sounds like a strange design, they were both insanely comfortable and stickhandling was amazing.

Ferland gloves were bulletproof. Unfortunately I gave them away when I switched to Bourque model Sherwoods. Even though the outer construction for excellent, the palms of the Sherwoods would burn out very easily, and I must of had them re-palmed 3 times.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I would kill for a pair of Ferland "mitten" gloves. Except for the thumb, they put the other 4 fingers together. While it sounds like a strange design, they were both insanely comfortable and stickhandling was amazing.

Ferland gloves were bulletproof. Unfortunately I gave them away when I switched to Bourque model Sherwoods. Even though the outer construction for excellent, the palms of the Sherwoods would burn out very easily, and I must of had them re-palmed 3 times.

maybe you can try out the new Ferland products. since they're still around.

but i cant seem to find any trace of Victoriaville, Hespeler, and Titan

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I know Hal Gill still uses a set of Jofa shoulder pads, but I think it's just another example of a player having old gear that's they're not willing to give up because there's nothing out there right now that's comparable.

I would guess a majority of the league wears Jofa shoulders. That's not an original thing. It's just branded differently at retail. The RBK 9k and 8k from last year's line (or their equivalents) are the two at retail you often see in the NHL, though they made changes to them for pretty much the first time this year, but good ones, those new ones by all reviews. That pad, the 10K, will probalby filter in, but most guys hang on to shoulders longer then any other piece of gear, so it may take a while.

RBK dominates in shins and elbows too.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
I read somewhere on thegoaliestore message boards that Reebok is bringing back the Koho name (I couldn't find the thread) and that Hiller actually wears a new Koho line of pads.

May be for goalie equipment. Reebok lost a value line in goalie stuff. They still have it in the rest with CCM.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Not sure if anyone has spoken of it in here but Harrow hockey sticks and shafts/blades are what used to be the Christian Hockey Company. Harrow made Lacross gear and field hockey stuff and purchased Christian or something like that.

I bought a Harrow shaft and blade recently and they seem great ... still healing my bicep so I have not torqued a REAL shot yet on ice but I hope to within a month or so.

Anyhew http://www.hockeystick.com is the url on the stick shaft.

Their website has stuff you can buy directly from it or find a dealer near you etc. They also customize shafts and sticks and print your name on the them etc. for a fee of course.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
When I first started playing goal in my early 20's, I had an old leather pair of Winwell pads, and a Cooper XL7 helmet, and a more thickly padded style of Cooperall pants - which I eventually sewed some extra foam into in the inner thighs for extra protection.

2993633990102258651qZRSbX_th.jpg

For my first few years of hockey I wore Lange skates. Back then the league I was in had some it's practice and game time on outdoor rinks.

2363786740102258651arOidH_th.jpg

Back when they still existed I used Titan sticks. Liked the small curves that were available and the plastic along the bottom of the stick. Before recently changing to a composite, I used Koho and another brand (CCM?) that also have the plastic strip along the bottom of the blade.

Using CCM 852 Super Tacks for skates right now. Bought them used five or so years ago. One of the best skates I've ever owned.

Lososaurus

Oct 28, 2008
California
I haven't seen any Koho gear in some time.

What about aluminum shafts? Haven't seen those since the 90s :)

It's becoming more and more difficult to find wood easton sticks too.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Is Brown goalie equipment still around? What about Lefabve(sp), the simmons line of goalie pads that started with a B, or Bilt Rite gloves?

Branches sticks ftw, my first stick circa 1995 had a rad kevlar blade

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Is Brown goalie equipment still around? What about Lefabve(sp), the simmons line of goalie pads that started with a B, or Bilt Rite gloves?

Branches sticks ftw, my first stick circa 1995 had a rad kevlar blade

I loved Branches sticks - never broke those things. I understand all they make is oars and paddles now..

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
i do remember they made a foray into the 1 piece market back in the mid 2000s

Anyone know how Brians Goalie Equipment is doing, I know Legacy and Emery still rep their ****, but they don't seem to be as pervasive as they used to be.

Loved my Airhook glove and Altra Max pads

GC72

May 24, 2009
How about ROOS skates - were made in Kitchener i believe - all black with black tuck 2000 blades...had a pair 30yrs ago...a few NHLers wore them...only one that comes to mind is Carl Brewer for the Leafs - what about Kenesky goalie pads - were the pad of choice in the 60s, 70s - old man Kenesky would make your custom pads up stairs above the store in Hamilton - store is still there but don't think they make their own pads any more

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
How about ROOS skates - were made in Kitchener i believe - all black with black tuck 2000 blades...had a pair 30yrs ago...a few NHLers wore them...only one that comes to mind is Carl Brewer for the Leafs - what about Kenesky goalie pads - were the pad of choice in the 60s, 70s - old man Kenesky would make your custom pads up stairs above the store in Hamilton - store is still there but don't think they make their own pads any more

I thought Carl Brewer played when everyone used steel tubular blade holders. I think he retired before Tuuks were even invented right?

I'm not sure about that, didn't he make a comeback attempt in his 40s? I seem to remember something like that in the early 80s or late 70s?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad