"Hockey gear and manufacturers that don't exist anymore" thread

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
haha, what a fantastic thread. Anyone remember Torspo shafts? I remember they used to give them away at hockey tourneys. Don't know if anyone ever bought one. Also is Hespeler still in business? I seem to recall Gretz buying them a while back, but I haven't been able to find any gear locally.

my kid got a torspo stick for being " ther hardest to play against" last season!!!:handclap:

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
The white nike skates Fedorov wore with the Red Wings. If you had these you were boss.

377620.jpg

and you got ran ...A LOT.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Is Koho still out there?
No. The very 1st move Reebok made was to drop Jofa and Koho. They branded the best items of the two as rbk. They took almost all new CCM products and put rbk logo on them (helmets, for instance).That is how rbk got on top. Now rbk is re branded as Reebok.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
We may soon add Mission and Itech to the list as they were purchased by Bauer. I don't know if Bauer plans on keeping their names around or just assimilating their products into the Bauer line.
I think the more brands, the better for the buisness. Reebok replaced some with rbk, but still keeps CCM. If I was Bauer, I'd reintroduced Cooper which I am sure they owe.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Things I miss:

- The CCM Tacks line of skates. All but one pair of skates I owned up until I was 19 were CCM Tacks/Super Tacks/various numbered Tacks models. Which brings my next point...
- First year nike skates, like the ones Fedorov wore but mine had the black front instead of white. Damn they were comfortable. And yes, I was the envy of every Atom player that year, even had one guy put my skates in the toilet before a game. I in turn stuffed the guy in the dressing rooms garbage can.
- Easton aluminum sticks, I still have my Gretzky Jr model. Again, the envy of all Novice players. I was in heaven when my father gave it to me, I almost felt bad in taking it eh. I played with it for 3 years I think, and countless more years of beating pucks around the basement with it, still in perfect shape.
- Old shoulder pads that don't make you look like somekind of robot, a la the ones Chelios wears still.
- CCM HT2, mine is falling apart now.

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
I know few of these companies are still around in some capacity:

Mission M-2 gloves. Loved those things, and had a pair for over 4 years. It was cheaper to buy new gloves than get them repalmed....I miss using them, though they are still in my garage

Itech HP6600 pants. Now that I dropped some of the lbs-I could find them in the size I would wear, but no place in So. Cal carries them

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
I know few of these companies are still around in some capacity:

Mission M-2 gloves. Loved those things, and had a pair for over 4 years. It was cheaper to buy new gloves than get them repalmed....I miss using them, though they are still in my garage

Itech HP6600 pants. Now that I dropped some of the lbs-I could find them in the size I would wear, but no place in So. Cal carries them

anyone remember when gloves used to last a LOT longer than that?
or they were of a quality that made it worth repalming ?
todays gloves are basically junk.

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
anyone remember when gloves used to last a LOT longer than that?
or they were of a quality that made it worth repalming ?
todays gloves are basically junk.

That is what I always thought. I thought that gloves were expensive so they could last a long time. My M-2 gloves were 66 and I thought that was pricey. The gloves of today feel cheap. I got a pair of V10 gloves as a gift and they feel a lot cheaper than my M-2 gloves

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
TB Fan from what I have seen they do not even compare s I would not do that. I just found a guy that will fix the palms of my gloves for 20 bucks. That is a price that I can live with so off they go to the shoe repair store

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Personally, I'd cruise eBay and see what you can dig up. Mission gloves arent too popular, pro stock L7s are under $80 and in my opinion, they're better than the M-1 or M-2... Although if you really like the M cuff, 3-piece finger and wrap around index finger protection... these are features not on the L7. The biggest advantage to picking up a new pair AND repalming the old, is that these gloves will be impossible to find in 5-10 years.

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
TB fan I have cruised ebay, and found some M-1's around, yet I think there is some shill bidding going on cause the guy keeps listing the same pair, and when it gets close to closing and is around 50 bucks, I always seem to lose and they are put up again a day later

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
You can report him for it. Keep looking, try craigslist too. I actually made a thread about Mission gloves on modsquad last week. MSH

I actually have 5 pairs of Mission gloves and 1 more pair on the way. I have more pro Eastons but Mission gloves are fantastic.

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
I would buy those in a second, but I wear a 14. The cuffs on the 15 are way to big for my preference

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
CCM/RBK retail gloves are some of the crappiest gloves on the market. Don't compare them to Mission who made some of the best quality gloves on the market, at their pricepoint.

really? I may have picked up a bad set, but I bought a pair about 4-5 years ago where the stitching around the cuff was garbage. Wore them for about 3 weeks (at least 6 times, but probably no more than 10 times) before I noticed all of the stitching around the bottom of one cuff was busted. Ended up selling them for $50. I will say this about those gloves: the kid who bought the gloves still uses them and refuses to buy another pair of gloves.

Since buying those, I have never strayed from Easton

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
If you're looking for older mission gloves, these are great. Love mine, and the site seems to have a bunch left.

http://1800wwsports.stores.yahoo.net/20miinhogl.html

Nice find... I've decided I'm going with retro **** from now on. A $200 OPS isn't going to do something for my shot that a $130 z-bubble with a focus flex won't do for it and if the blade breaks I can just replace it.

Gloves are pretty basic, I just found a pair of old school Biltrites online for $10 so I'll snatch those up.

The only things I see worth spending a bunch of money on new technology are skates and helmets. I pick up my air accel elites (the Nike Fedorov skates people are talking about) and my one90s and I see a huge difference. Helmets... well the reason for that is obvious.

TXhockey10

May 4, 2009
Ive seen NHL players on tv with jofa stuff,
like i saw ovie with jofa elbow pads, do they just make it especially for him or what

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->