"Hockey gear and manufacturers that don't exist anymore" thread

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
The first ones were WinnWell - Cooper bought the design later on. Messier ended his career wearing the Cooper as his WinnWells ran out.

I love how I'm not the only one who pays attention to gear brands of players.
:handclap:

And all this time, I thought I was weird......

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I know the guy who supplied Mess with the Coopers. It was around 2000-01.

On the same note, does anyone know where I could get a hold of a decent quality SK2000? I have been looking on ebay for a while and the quality is not very good.

Do they still make these helmets for Osgood, etc?, or are there a bunch of them stockpiled up?

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Louisville TPS Gloves, the Messier kind.

They still make TPS Gloves, but they arn't like the older ones.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
On the same note, does anyone know where I could get a hold of a decent quality SK2000? I have been looking on ebay for a while and the quality is not very good.

Do they still make these helmets for Osgood, etc?, or are there a bunch of them stockpiled up?

I know it's all opinion, but I hated my SK2000. Shoddy construction and trying to adjust it to size was a nightmare. There are better lids out there than to shell out $$$ on these relics. But just my opin...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I know it's all opinion, but I hated my SK2000. Shoddy construction and trying to adjust it to size was a nightmare. There are better lids out there than to shell out $$$ on these relics. But just my opin...

Ya, you're right, those things are kinda junk. I had wanted to give one a try with a GM 30 cooper mask (Osgood, Cloutier) as I am having peripheral vision problems with my louisville mask.

I think I should buy an Itech again, it was a really good mask.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com

They stockpiled on them.

Warwick made Hasek a mold based on it.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
I miss Lange/Northland helmets- the Mikita "Salad Bowl" models. (If anyone has one in their garage or basement, let me know...)

I also miss Easton aluminum shafts. I have 3 and still use'em.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
The CC was my absolute favorite stick. I still have two with the slap sock design. The only reason i dont use them any more is the Maltese PM 714 composite is more durable and has ZERO stick vibration. With CT in the wrist and significant reduced stick vibration they(CC) were a must have.

Paddle down was so simplified with the curved hand grip area. Todays blockers being large as well as the over size thumb protection make it much more difficult with a straight handle. The curved top allowes for an aggressive poke check. On extending the curve would slide right up to the forearm and lock in. The chance of shooting the stick out of your hand was almost nil. Never had one get caught up in the net at the knob, either.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
I miss Lange/Northland helmets- the Mikita "Salad Bowl" models. (If anyone has one in their garage or basement, let me know...)

I also miss Easton aluminum shafts. I have 3 and still use'em.

Speaking of Easton Aluminums, what about the white ones with the neon orange or green lettering.
What was up with 'neon', anyway?

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
Cooper SK2000

still wearing one..........and my original Cooper pants with a black Cooper shell over to hide the rip marks

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
* Daoust skates with transparent Tuuk holders

* Fibrosport goalie masks

* Good old Cooper brown-leather goalie pads and gloves

* Jofa helmets like the ones Gretzky used

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Didn't Jagr wear one of those in the Olympics? And during the lockout-season in Omsk? Those dont offer much protection.

I've read those Gretzky Jofa helmets were originally designed for canoeing. The Jofa company would urge Gretz to stop wearing it because it wasn't designed for hockey, but I think he did awright anyway.:)

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
No, the Jofa 235 is a bandy helmet.

It is true that Jofa did not want him to wear the helmet, but Gretzky resisted because he said it was part of his image and likeness.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
did VIC just go out of buisness?

same thing with Titan and Canadien, did they go out of buisness too, or did another company purchase them long time ago?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad